Hosting, Joe 101 - my theory part I

I am up late at night not being able to sleep as usual, so i figured i would just write something that came to mind. Before people start attacking the grammer, its probably bad, its 2 am cut me some slack.

Anywho, as I listen to the new crystal method cd, my thoughts on hosting came to mind. First for anyone reading this, try to follow.

The Hosting Game:
    When i started 3 years ago in this game I knew nothing. Markets were different, things were pricey, did not know much. Back then the edumacation of this business was important, at least to me. I spent about 9 months researching this maze of madness, from everything from basic stuff like ftp to hacking 1001 or so it seems. I noticed over the time Ive been on this board and many others that people have some type of misconception about the game that we all play. First people that are not in our Matrix dont understand what we do. It is a world that is beyond them(hence my sig), as too many, checking there email and getting stock quotes is enough for them. It is not understanding how they get the information that interests them, but as long as its there who cares where it came from. Have you ever tried to explain to your friends what you do. About 5 minutes into it they want to shoot you. Finally it came to I sell Internet Realestate, explaining that as many know is mind blowing, but many can at least put a basic finger on that one.

Second like many who enter into a business expectations are high, hopefully things will be easy and the $$$$$$$$ will just fly in. Well like any other business it does not work as such, except in this world. Whether its the right name, or marketing approach, a small company can be a overnight sucess. My company is long gone now but my first week I was 40 accounts deep. I was growing strong. I was thinking it cant be this easy, and about 2 months later a wake up call happened. Welcome John Doe hacker.. Having a backup was sweet, but my life went from good to hell. How can someone do this, after all that time and energy. Well that day passed and life went back to normal, but I slowly needed to know more about what they wanted. I checked out 2600, and got into some serious security stuff, which now fills my PO Box daily, I read up on security daily, and new security measures, backup strategies, anything to cover you in bad times. Actually friends have said I am so paranoid its mad, I look at it differently, must be me, anyone who has been hacked can probably say why didnt i do that extra step.

Anyway as my theory moves forward, Ive come to realize that this game we play though many argue, flame or strive for something new, will continue to evolve, but my advice to any newbies and anyone else is
    1. spend some time researching your game
    2. advertise at local schools, suprisingly big winner
    3. research security and backup strategies, extrememly important, more so then anyone thing.
    4. dont take short cuts.
    5. sleep now, because you wont get much
    6. whatever companies you work with, ask questions, I was reading the quest article on yahoo, and just another sign of more questions that should be asked.

Anyway Im not sure what else I can say, let me know. Also i continue to reference this as a game, and well my view on it.
    Last edited by JBIZ718; 07-29-2002 at 04:07 AM.
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Before people start attacking the grammer, its probably bad, its 2 am cut me some slack.

It always sucks.

[edit] But I do agree with most of what you said. [/edit]
    Jason

5. sleep now, because you wont get much

--
    seems some of us still dont ;|
    - brian

failing to plan is planning to fail.

Re: Hosting, Joe 101 - my theory part I

Originally posted by JBIZ718

Back then the edumacation of this business was important, at least to me.
    Oh please tell me that was a joke

EDUMACATION?

sad

Hehe...
    Sounds like a joke, but I'm not sure if it was one.

lol leve himm alne tis ant scool or sometin

But kids don't have credit cards, how is it a big winner?

edude is robin?
    jbiz is batman?

EDUDE TO THE RESCUE!

Jason

LOL

Originally posted by edude
    l

High School then.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

hmm, well where i live you have to be over 18 to have a credit card.. small portion of high school would one...

I thought he was talking about college bulletin boards. Which is a decent idea.

Damn, there are 2 universities next to me with over 25,000 students.

I have a plan for tomorrow.

lol Nexdog, well he said local schools...

Aye, and local for me is well.....I can see one of them from here.

NexDog is going to fly over with a helicopter and drop pamphlets.

I had an American Express Corporate card when I was 16, but I had to start Rietta Solutions to pull that one off (so that is not the norm).

This little "rant" has some good points. I do things somewhat differently than a lot of hosting companies so I usally explain my business as "Internet-related software and services" or "I write software for people and keep websites online for other companies." I depends on who I am talking too I guess.

Getting a tie-in with either universities or some local "webmaster training courses" is a really big plus.

Shortcuts are bad...like installing RedHat Linux and watching as Bind gets used to root a box.

I have learned a lot in my three years working actively on the Internet and I certainly hope I can continue to build something of value.

Unrelated...I just bought a copy of Wise for Windows Installer (a very nice installer maker package). It certainly makes creating asthetically pleasing, non-DLL Hell making, Windows Logo compliant setup packages a lot easier. I just repackaged RoboGen with it and will be using it with SQL Converter (yay!).
    AtlantaWebHost.com, a service of Rietta Solutions
    Web Site & Development Hosting, Dedicated, Colocation, DNS, Atlanta-area T1 for Voice & Data

Before people start attacking the grammer, its probably bad, its 2 am cut me some slack.

Aw... Can't pick on you for that??? How about the spelling then? BTW, it's GrammAr not GrammEr.

Just messin which ya... (sic)

Edumacation is a joke.
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

wheres part 2?

Re: Hosting, Joe 101 - my theory part I

Originally posted by JBIZ718
    Actually friends have said I am so paranoid its mad, I look at it differently, must be me, anyone who has been hacked can probably say why didnt i do that extra step.
    Any time you start feeling as though you may really be paranoid, just take a leisurely read through some of your system logs. Within seconds, you will remember that it's not paranoia at all, but rather sound practice based on the sheer number of people out there who would ravage your box like a two-dollar whore at the first available opportunity.

Good post - thanks.

-Bob

Re: Re: Hosting, Joe 101 - my theory part I

<duplicate post deleted>

Someone was in need of some sleep......

-B
    Last edited by TMX; 07-30-2002 at 01:49 PM.