Anyone ever report a stolen vehicle?

My uncle, a crack addict, recently borrowed my car, and hasn't returned it for three days. He hasn't called or anything.

I just reported it as a stolen vehicle to the local police department.

I was wondering what are the odds of them finding my car? I'm sure it will be intact. He is driving it normally, with no intentions of returning it though.

Do they run checks on suspicious cars just driving around the streets? Or is the only way they would find it is if they ran a trace on the license plate (after pulling him over).

I'm really anxious on getting my car back. Poor baby. Has anyone ever reported a stolen vehicle? If so, how long was it before it was the police found it?

Thanks.

Re: Anyone ever report a stolen vehicle?

Originally posted by Futuredood
    My uncle, a crack addict, recently borrowed my car, and hasn't returned it for three days. He hasn't called or anything.

I just reported it as a stolen vehicle to the local police department.

I was wondering what are the odds of them finding my car? I'm sure it will be intact. He is driving it normally, with no intentions of returning it though.

Do they run checks on suspicious cars just driving around the streets? Or is the only way they would find it is if they ran a trace on the license plate (after pulling him over).

I'm really anxious on getting my car back. Poor baby. Has anyone ever reported a stolen vehicle? If so, how long was it before it was the police found it?

Thanks.
    they put out a list of recently reported vehicles and actually do search for them...

my car was found 24 hours and 36 hours after i reported it stolen

Re: Re: Anyone ever report a stolen vehicle?

Originally posted by akashd

they put out a list of recently reported vehicles and actually do search for them...

my car was found 24 hours and 36 hours after i reported it stolen

Really? Wow, this increases my hopes dramatically..

But, what do you mean by "actually do search for them". I was told here in Stanton, CA, that the only chances of finding it is:

a) if it is abandoned
    b) if the car gets pulled over for any reason (suspicious behavior, traffic ticket etc.)

Whatever the case, I will be sure to post the results up on this.. 14 hours up, and still waiting..

In Vancouver, 95% of stolen cars are "recovered" within 72 hours; however, they are usually completely stripped by that point -- the vast majority of car theft in BC is from people who are selling the cars for parts (or, often, trading them for drugs).

The case of someone stealing a car who doesn't intend to wreck it is so rare that I'm not sure if there will be any good statistics on that.

In Canada at least, the police don't check license plates unless they have some reason to be suspicious -- if a car is being driven erratically, is parked unusually, or if they pull it over. Too many cars are stolen for them to actively search for stolen vehicles unless the theft was very recent, the vehicle is known to be in the area, and there was some other crime involved.
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

NIce unlce you got there...

Originally posted by iamdave
    NIce unlce you got there...
    *ahem* my thoughts exactly...

Let us know how it goes and hope you can find your car and somehow let your uncle understand that the concept of borrowing a car required him personally returning the car back to you and not the law enforcement...

*edit* Hmm, I just remembered my cousin had his car stolen couple years back. Some kids broke the window probably because they saw his wallet inside the car. He also kept his keys in the car because this car was a Maxima which had those keypads where you enter your code to unlock the door, open the trunk, etc... well, apparently the kids thought it was a good idea to not only steal his wallet, but just drive off with the car. I believe it was found within 24 hours after it was reported to the police.
    Last edited by alpha; 07-29-2002 at 02:49 AM.

lol got full coverage insurance about now?

We got something in common, my ex-uncle(aunt divored that ***ker) was addicted to coke. I heard hes a used car sales man now. Anyhow my sis got her car stolen on new years eve a few years ago. We reported it, it was found in chicago. it was a crap car, but a new sound system take, cracked winsheild, all worked out though.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

My parents car was stolen the same day as my cousins funeral... It wasnt found till about a week later, and it was totalled... The person who stole it got into a very bad accident that sent 5 people to a hospital including himeself...
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Some of the newer cars come with a system called Onstar. Onstar has built in Global Positioning Systems so if your car is stolen or you just forgot where you parked it at that crazy party last night you just call them up and they will tell you right where it is.

Well if I were you I would get a friend to give me a ride to known places your uncle goes to. Chances are he is most likely there. Also, in addition to Onstar, there is a company who installs a chip in your car so if it were to ever get stolen, they could track it within 7 seconds or something. It's called lojack. Take a look http://www.lojack.com/

-Steven
    http://www.insiderhosting.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Cogent in One Wilshire, Los Angeles!
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

Originally posted by Rob_AcuNett
    Some of the newer cars come with a system called Onstar. Onstar has built in Global Positioning Systems so if your car is stolen or you just forgot where you parked it at that crazy party last night you just call them up and they will tell you right where it is.

onstar is even better for reminding you where you are the nite after a party.
    --
    Rich

Originally posted by richy

onstar is even better for reminding you where you are the nite after a party.
    now if only there were a GPS system to find your keys
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

Ahhhhhh it could take minutes or years to find a stolen car.
    If someone wanted to they could hide the car in the middle of a desert and cover it with sand..

It's a report the stolen car and it's in there computer and if your lucky someone will think this cars suspicious and do a lookup over there radio and they will see..

There's not much chance of finding a stolen car quick unless somethings happened to it like for example it's been set on fire..
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

Originally posted by insiderhosting
    Well if I were you I would get a friend to give me a ride to known places your uncle goes to. Chances are he is most likely there. Also, in addition to Onstar, there is a company who installs a chip in your car so if it were to ever get stolen, they could track it within 7 seconds or something. It's called lojack. Take a look http://www.lojack.com/

-Steven
    Lojack is okay, but the problem with it, is that by the time the cops are able to get to the car, it is stripped right down to the metal...

Re: Re: Re: Anyone ever report a stolen vehicle?

Originally posted by Futuredood
    But, what do you mean by "actually do search for them". I was told here in Stanton, CA, that the only chances of finding it is:
    Certainly it depends on where you are and the individual police force... and the individuals on patrol. But yeah, most police departments release a "hot list" of cars that have been recently stolen, each day. So your best bet of it being spotted is on the first day, because it won't be on the list the second day... which makes sense because they know that statistically after a day it's more likely to be stripped or in a chop shop than being driven around... or if the owner lucky just abandoned somewhere after a joyride.

And you also have to lucky enough that on that day (or perhaps the next day or so) it happens to be spotted by an officer with a good memory, good observational skills, and who just takes that part of the job seriously and is actively looking for listed cars.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

why dont you just show up at your uncles house and ask where your car is. and on another note, why did you even let a former coke addict borrow your car? family or not i wouldn't have done that.

Just hire Bruno (the same guy you send to collect money for dedicated servers that are $3k+ passed due). He usually gets the job done or at least brings back nice souveniors (i.e. knees, elbows etc. hehe)
    James R. Clark II

You can say hello to higher insurance rate as well
    I'm in FL and mine went up just cause someone broke the lock on the front passenger door
    ServInt is my host since 2004. Ask me about discounts.

lol bringing up the dead thread eh heh

yea it may make it go up might depend on the circumstances

Originally posted by jigg
    You can say hello to higher insurance rate as well
    I'm in FL and mine went up just cause someone broke the lock on the front passenger door
    Your insurance rates might go back down once you get the lock fixed.
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

Yeah right $400 to fix it. Not that it doesn't lock, you just can't use the key to lock/unlock. That not a good thing?
    My rate went up twice. Once for the lock, and the other because All state raised their rates.
    If it keeps up like this maybe I should just get me a bike or rollerskates
    ServInt is my host since 2004. Ask me about discounts.

I had mine stolen twice within 4 years. And it wasn't even anything special. Just a '90 Grand Am. Each time I hoped and prayed they would never find the thing and if they did it was trashed beyond repair. No such luck - each time it was returned within a week with just enough damage that the insurance company barley had to pay a dime after my deductable and my rates skyrocketed!

I reported a stolen car once... My Own lol, a couple years ago, I used to have a souped up chevelle with extensive engine, suspension work done. I guess I attracted the wrong type of attention, I went to bed that night around 2AM, woke up around 9AM, and the car was gone. The car doors were locked, and I had "The Club", anyways, I reported it stolen, and it was found in philadelphia 6 days later, nothing was really wrong with it, other than the people who stole it, took the stereo system, and knifed all the seats. I was just glad I got the car back.
    Linux junkie | steward.io