Which domain names are selling well?

I went to this website, just to see how the domain trade business is going.

https://www.tdnam.com/trpHome.aspx?isc=goodna101b

Looks like there isn't much business going on.

Or are most of the domain names so useless, because it's easy to get around them by being creative (and saving the money for a purchase)?

Now some do sell.

I wonder if these are the ones that are closely related to technical inventions, or to products that are intensively marketed on the internet. Those names don't look that interesting, I found out.

Short, sweet, and snappy may not be the top selling point?

What's your take on this?

The majority of the domains on that page are way overpriced. It is no shock to me that only a few of them have bids. Even for the ones that have bids, I would question how serious the buyers are.
    WebHostingReviews.com (Established 1999)
    Web Hosting Customers: Happy or unhappy with your host? Let others know on our web site.
    Web Hosting Companies: Drive traffic to your site by getting listed in ours.

Good generic names will always sell well. Dictionary words (nouns mostly and verbs).
    Signature Under Construction.

Single words are all gone.

Now it's about the combinations, I guess.

You buy domains from others and then resell at higher price.

If you reg a domain you should develop it so you get traffic

A domain without traffic will only sell for a mere .XXX but if you also have traffic and steady interested visitors, you could ask for more and will receive more. One of our clients registered a domain with us less than 5 months and is hosting and adult related dump link site. Nothing fancy, but got PR3 already (to our surprise) and received offer for $3,000 to sell it.

They asked for our opinion and we suggested they wait. A first comer $3,000 offer is a clear sign the site worths much more and possible buyers will have to offer much more to get a BIN price.

The name also is a 2 word phrase, very catchy and easy to remember, and it relates to cute furry animal
    Community Manager @ Cloudflare
    I'm on Twitter too. DMs open.
    Passionate about photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ghost View Post
    Single words are all gone.

Now it's about the combinations, I guess.
    You were asking about sales not about new registrations. You can always buy a registered domain, hold, and sell it in a couple of years. Those premium names are really inflating fast.

Quote Originally Posted by coax View Post
    You buy domains from others and then resell at higher price.

If you reg a domain you should develop it so you get traffic
    Quote Originally Posted by tinuzzo View Post
    A domain without traffic will only sell for a mere .XXX but if you also have traffic and steady interested visitors, you could ask for more and will receive more. One of our clients registered a domain with us less than 5 months and is hosting and adult related dump link site. Nothing fancy, but got PR3 already (to our surprise) and received offer for $3,000 to sell it.

They asked for our opinion and we suggested they wait. A first comer $3,000 offer is a clear sign the site worths much more and possible buyers will have to offer much more to get a BIN price.

The name also is a 2 word phrase, very catchy and easy to remember, and it relates to cute furry animal

A domain name being only a slight sketch of an idea, and the developed site its execution.

Great!

Your welcome

Even the domain that have 5 to 7 character selling well especially if it is a memorable and meaningful domain name.

I guess what really makes a domain valuable is the content you put behind a memorable name.

A memorable, developed two word-domain, I could imagine, would then be worth more than some parked, five letter empty shell-domain.

Looking around I saw people even register domains like 889.com, 890.com, etc...

What really makes a domain valuable isnt the content behind it... then it's the content that's valuable.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Some of those names are really terrible names on those aftermarket auctions, I think there is still many unregistered domains that are much better value, it just takes a bit of creativity

The traffic generated is important. If the alexa rank for the domain is high, then its value goes up.
    Quleek.com
    My MSN when you need help: anand@quleek.com
    My Anonymous Dedicated Hosting Service: http://www.quleek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Right Hosting View Post
    Some of those names are really terrible names on those aftermarket auctions, I think there is still many unregistered domains that are much better value, it just takes a bit of creativity
    I have the impression that many register names created by software, equally awful as the "Premium Domains" for sale at Godaddy's, or the "you can also register..." proposals at the same site.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Hosting View Post
    Actually, naming is a whole profession in itself.

Not that it's a particularly serious one...

Quote Originally Posted by fusion_pro View Post
    The traffic generated is important. If the alexa rank for the domain is high, then its value goes up.
    This is an interesting one to talk about. I heard that lately Alexa rankings are not AT ALL very accurate.

Everybody knows that alexa measures hits from browsers that have their toolbar installed.

This is an interesting one to talk about. I heard that lately Alexa rankings are not AT ALL very accurate.

Everybody knows that alexa measures hits from browsers that have their toolbar installed.
    Looks to me a bit like TV's Nielsen rating. People have boxes on their TVs registering their watching habits. It all depends on how to choose the focus group, and then the TV might be on, but nobody's watching.

Back to theme: how can you actually measure your site traffic. I have seen those counters, but, as you said, tinuzzo, do they respond to all hits? And which counter do you install, and how can you actually use the number of hits for markting? I mean, how does a client know you're not making the numbers up?

I believe that it is very difficult to "prove" your traffic. yes, Alexa is a major point of reference, but then again: how can you be sure that someone who says their site has 1mil visitors a day , actually has them?

In my experience, I saw that Google's Statistics are pretty much real and also, installing a live chat script (like www.providesupport.com ) enables you (or people u give access to) to actually see live if those visitors are real visitors or fake hits generated with tool like the one at fakezilla.com

My two cents...

I believe that it is very difficult to "prove" your traffic. yes, Alexa is a major point of reference, but then again: how can you be sure that someone who says their site has 1mil visitors a day , actually has them?

In my experience, I saw that Google's Statistics are pretty much real and also, installing a live chat script (like www.providesupport.com ) enables you (or people u give access to) to actually see live if those visitors are real visitors or fake hits generated with tool like the one at fakezilla.com

My two cents...
    I went to fakezilla, just to see what it was.

There was nothing there. Just a white page.

So it's probably shut down.

Also, just to get back on the original question a bit.

Domains are pretty relative, 10 years ago even 4 letter .coms weren't worth much, today they are worth a lot, especially the pronouncable premium ones.
    5 letter domains are already picking up steam because all the 4's are taken, meaning in general, the more domains are regged the more valuable the shorter ones become.

Its a bit late today to get into new registrations because basically everything is taken that's generic or mainstream. There's still plenty of room to make up your own fictional name though, and the shorter the better.
    But seeing as there are basically no good domains left with less than 5 characters, you will have to settle with a certain length.

However, I think .org is picking up steam because a lot of open source/free software sites choose it because of its original non profit purpose.
    So a good .org wouldn't hurt you.

But of course the absolute best way is to invest in a proper premium short .com that's already registered, go with the 3 following rules in mind;
    1. Easily memorized (meaning dictionary, mainstream fad or trend, etc)
    2. VERY easily pronounced with no room for errors or need for explanation i most cases
    3. As short as possible

When you have this, move on to development. Dev'ing a site is obviously beyond th scope of this post, but in general you would need a good idea and original content that people want.

Also remember that 99% of your visitors will not care much about what your domain name is, your domain is basically invisible to them, hence the above 3 rules, if you suddenly make a difficult domain to communicate to their friends etc you will automatically make them think about your domain instead othe awesoem website they want to tell their friends about. Ya know?
    Edit: Yeah btw, obviously you should choose a name that goes with the theme of your site, so people can sort of tell what it will be about before going there. That's not necessary all the time though.
    So yeah, there's my opinion on it.
    Last edited by coax; 09-16-2007 at 11:04 PM.

That TDNAM listing has got to be the most inflated listing I've ever saw.

If you just look at the Featured Listings There are a lot of crap names on TDNAM, but you can still find many bargains under $100. You do have to sort through the dross though.