Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SWsoft and Ensim Corporation will exist as independent entities following the acquisition

Will they develop it/manage/support it seperately?
    semi-retired

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon View Post
    Will they develop it/manage/support it seperately?
    That's a good question - if so, what would be the value of the acquisition (in Psoft's case)?
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    It's confirmed. http://www.swsoft.com/en/psoft/ and http://www.swsoft.com/en/ensimpro/

This should (hopefully) have a positive impact on the hosting industry as a whole, but it also means that SWsoft will have somewhat of a monopoly in hosting software (Plesk, H-Sphere, Ensim, Virtuozzo, to name some).

I'd be very interested to hear how the community feels about this and how it might affect some web hosts out there.
    Since when does SWsoft own H-Sphere? Did I miss something?

I go on vacation and come back to a SWsoft world... sheesh. Oh well, I was using both Plesk and H-Sphere anyway, so this might be a benefit to me.
    Last edited by DaveNET; 09-13-2007 at 07:39 PM.
    David
    Beenanza, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNET View Post
    Since when does SWsoft own H-Sphere? Did I miss something?
    Since they acquired PSoft (that's the point of the thread )?

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    This should (hopefully) have a positive impact on the hosting industry as a whole, but it also means that SWsoft will have somewhat of a monopoly in hosting software (Plesk, H-Sphere, Ensim, Virtuozzo, to name some).
    Boy is that a contradiction of statements. Monopoly and good rarely go with each other.
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by steven99 View Post
    Boy is that a contradiction of statements. Monopoly and good rarely go with each other.
    Well, it depends on how you look at it. SWsoft now has a lot more resources and even greater potential to impact the future of the hosting industry, whether that be for good or bad. On the other hand, you could see it as a monopoly (I'm just presenting both sides, as I really don't have an opinion myself yet).

Quote Originally Posted by steven99 View Post
    From a purely economic standpoint, not necessarily.

But they don't have a monopoly as long as cPanel is independent. It'll be good to see how this goes.

Same view as long as Cpanel is independent and also Directadmin. One thing is this market barrier to entry is not high, exit barrier is not high. Suppliers are weak and buyers are weak. Differentiation is there or you can go for low cost and volume. So it will still attract new comers if there are too few players due to the acquisitions.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon View Post
    Any idea if/when this will ever be made public?

Personally not surprised that SWSoft are snapping up companies, only worries me if cPanel/DA go next...
    Nothing to worry about with us -- we're still sticking around.

It's now finally official. PSoft have been bought out by SWSoft and Comodo have kept their noses in via a partnership with SWSoft to "enable" H-Sphere cluster owners to integrate Comodo products with H-Sphere.

My biggest concern is the amount of junk SWSoft put in their products, both coding wise and VAR wise. I hope they keep the same core team in place and just add to the panel with features, not bloat it with junk. The news finally coming is good, though, because it should allow psoft to make good on some of those development promises that I assume were only hanging in the balance due to the possible acquisition.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Although I no longer use H-Sphere, due to selling that business some years ago, I would never go back to it now. Swsoft products are sub standard and their sales and support are worse. Their products are a nightmare most of the time.

I'm glad we use software from companies that are it for the long haul. Hoever if one of them did get acquired by swsoft I would drop them.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

This thread might need merging with the other one started earlier today in the control panel section: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=635170

I'm just glad they finally announced it. It's been a long time in coming.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Quote Originally Posted by Everyday View Post
    Although I no longer use H-Sphere, due to selling that business some years ago, I would never go back to it now. Swsoft products are sub standard and their sales and support are worse. Their products are a nightmare most of the time.

I'm glad we use software from companies that are it for the long haul. Hoever if one of them did get acquired by swsoft I would drop them.
    Hey Matt. Back in the day when you had an early version of Hsphere, I had a reseller account from you. I had to move on though as it was lacking something I needed. Anyway, I have had good luck with Plesk on Linux, but then again I have not deployed it on a large scale.
    David
    Beenanza, LLC

Yes, this announcement and transaction has been worked on for months and months.

But they don't have a monopoly as long as cPanel is independent.
    cpanel does not cater to the same marketplace - there is some overlap - but, cpanel is not and will never be a hosting automation solution - and frankly - except for a few examples - isnt a viable solution for mid sized or higher providers and even for small providers its limiting at best.

I am quite excited about this and have been eagerly waiting the formal announcement. Obviously having SWSoft own so many control panels can be scary - but, the upside is HUGE. They are keeping the psoft development team intact and they are looking to integrate with core swsoft products (ie virtuozzo) and making it part of Open Fusion.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Personally not surprised that SWSoft are snapping up companies, only worries me if cPanel/DA go next...
    swsoft would have zero interest in cpanel - so, no fear there...

For hsphere providers - this is great great news. comodo is a good company, but, they arent a control panel company - and in swsofts hands - hsphere could become something very special.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

I've used Plesk before and never was impressed. Why would a Windows control panel require PHP and mySQL! The interface looked great, but I'd a feeling what is underneath is not what I want. For that reason I've stayed away from any SWSoft products.

H-Sphere was in my opinion a great CP, but they were expensive especially for reseller packages. Their Windows support wasn't great, but talk about scalability...it was the solution!

Agree with the others that cPanel is not up to the challenge for scalability but my guess cPanel makes the bulk of their profit from single dedicated servers.

Hope this merger works out well for the hosting industry....
    Reliability • Performance • Integrity

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting View Post
    cpanel does not cater to the same marketplace - there is some overlap - but, cpanel is not and will never be a hosting automation solution - and frankly - except for a few examples - isnt a viable solution for mid sized or higher providers and even for small providers its limiting at best.
    For that matter, neither is Plesk or Ensim. H-Sphere is, but it also features semi-unique features that was rather unusual even prior to the acquisition.

The point is that as long as cPanel and Directadmin are independent, SWSoft can't behave like a monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post
    For that matter, neither is Plesk or Ensim. H-Sphere is, but it also features semi-unique features that was rather unusual even prior to the acquisition.

The point is that as long as cPanel and Directadmin are independent, SWSoft can't behave like a monopoly.
    cpanel should not even enter into this discussion. A monopoly simply cannot exist and its for alot of reasons not related to cpanel. There are open source options, there are custom built options, there are many other commercial control panels already out there - the inclusion of cpanel into this discussion is irrelavent and cpanel is certainly not saving us all from a monopoly situation
    www.cartika.com

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting View Post
    cpanel should not even enter into this discussion. A monopoly simply cannot exist and its for alot of reasons not related to cpanel. There are open source options, there are custom built options, there are many other commercial control panels already out there - the inclusion of cpanel into this discussion is irrelavent and cpanel is certainly not saving us all from a monopoly situation
    And you still missed the point I was making...

I'm not making a feature or segment comparison of cPanel, Directadmin vs. H-Sphere, Ensim, and Plesk. Those panels listed all have their own selling points and brand differentiations that give them slightly different segments of the market.

As for cPanel not being the discussion, but "custom built options" being a reason, I simply find that laughable, and I'm no supporter of cPanel/WHM.

Quote Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post
    And you still missed the point I was making...

I'm not making a feature or segment comparison of cPanel, Directadmin vs. H-Sphere, Ensim, and Plesk. Those panels listed all have their own selling points and brand differentiations that give them slightly different segments of the market.

As for cPanel not being the discussion, but "custom built options" being a reason, I simply find that laughable, and I'm no supporter of cPanel/WHM.
    Illistriuos,

this isnt a feature discussion at all...

I am just stating that there is no threat of a monopoly here - even if swsoft bought cpanel, there still isnt a monopoly - so, giving cpanel credit as a product that is preventing a monopoly isnt accurate.

BTW - the reason "custom built options" is a viable option is because any of the providers who have built their own control panels can easily start to market their product if they wanted to - and if there was suddenly a monopoly, I assure you, many of them would. Dont forget about other commercial and open source options - so, a monopoly just isnt going to happen and cpanel certainly should not be given credit for preventing a monopoly.
    www.cartika.com

Andrew, cPanel, DirectAdmin, Ensim... are standalone control panels, and SWSoft has acquired Ensim. Why do you think they would have zero interest in cPanel, or DA?

Hi gate2vn,

Ensim Pro is closer to hsphere and plesk then you may think - and really becomes an entry level offering for swsoft. Linux and Windows support, plus some pretty extensive SaaS integration - which is really what swsoft would be after in my humble opinion - as it will easily facilitate their application distribution protocol - especially once Ensim is integrated into their open fusion platform.
    www.cartika.com

Basically the whole idea, after speaking to SWSOFT, is that they are going to accquire the technology of the different CPs, and in the long term, integrate the advantages/features of the accquired CPs, into their core products, Plesk, Virtuozzo, HSPc, PEM etc.

This is of course in the long term vision.
    Glenn Lee
    Swiftroute Private Limited
    Singapore Managed Hosting Services

3. Microsoft Technology. SWsoft enhances its Microsoft offerings as a result of acquiring Ensim Pro. As a Microsoft Gold partner, SWsoft is in a position to continue to expand Microsoft technologies in the hosting market.
    I think this is a pretty big reason as well
    www.cartika.com

Basically the whole idea, after speaking to SWSOFT, is that they are going to accquire the technology of the different CPs, and in the long term, integrate the advantages/features of the accquired CPs, into their core products, Plesk, Virtuozzo, HSPc, PEM etc.
    Well, you need to remember that plesk was also acquired, as was confixx, etc... they have MANY control panels ...

I think ultimately - they dont care which control panel you are using, as long as you use PEM to manage it all and sell Virtuozzo and Sitebuilders.... but, thats just a guess
    www.cartika.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast