Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

remaining 100% anonymous

Hi,

I am looking for advice on running a website that is 100% anonymous.

On that note, could someone recommend an anonymous host.

Before you ask, I am doing nothing illegal and have legitimate reasons for total privacy.

If you have any recommendations please let me know.

Thank-you
    Last edited by the_pm; 10-01-2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Contractor request removed - advertising forums only
      0 Not allowed!

You are on a loosing battle with this one
      0 Not allowed!

What methods do you foresee people using to obtain information about you? If someone wants to find you, they will. It may take a subpoena of your datacenter, but they'll find you.

So, I suppose the answer depends greatly on how you expect to be found. If you don't think someone will have a case for legal action against you (it only requires a case, not a conviction, to find out who you are), then being anonymous is as simple as registering a domain privately, using generic name server and being smart about what you post on your site. It doesn't take a special host to do this.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design
      0 Not allowed!

Do you want YOUR site to be anonymous or are you asking for a host's identity to be anonymous? You're talking about 2 different things.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replys.

the_pm, no one will be able to build up a legal case against me as I will be doing nothing illegal.

AH-tina, I would like both to be anonymous if this is possible.

Thanks again
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    Do you want YOUR site to be anonymous or are you asking for a host's identity to be anonymous? You're talking about 2 different things.

--Tina
    I think he wants to be anonymous? How could the host be anonymous. HAHAHAHA LOL

Yes get a package with any webhosting company and keep the website secret in your heart and write a robots.txt file stating google and other searchengines bots to get away.

90% you can be anonymous, but still there are ways to find your website through your host.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by loosegoose View Post
    the_pm, no one will be able to build up a legal case against me as I will be doing nothing illegal.
    Oh dear, this is not a good line of thinking.

You don't have to be doing something illegal in order for someone to build a case! If it is that important for someone to find you, they can build a case that allows them to go so far as to uncover your identity. At that point, it no longer matters if you're doing anything illegal or not.

I'm not saying it would be easy. I'm simply saying there are ways to use legal channels to obtain information, no matter what. So the question isn't whether you're doing something illegal. It's whether you're doing something that would make someone want to find you out, and whether they would have enough motivation to go through a rather complex process to do it.

Can you disclose the nature of the site without giving out any details?
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design
      0 Not allowed!

I am still confused with your requirement. Do you mean that no one should be able to find who is behind the site? I mean that you are related to the site?

Just curious what you are going to host.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.
      0 Not allowed!

Ok, I understand now. To answer your question then yes, I would be doing something that would make someone want to find out who I was.

I work in a highly competitive market and all my competitors are anonymous. Obviously there are ways to obtain there info that I do not know
      0 Not allowed!

loosegoose,

If it's solely for business purposes, remaining 'anonymous' is easy-as-pie.
    Register the domain via a company like namecheap.com & get 'WHOIS guard' free, ensuring your details are safe.

By default, no host will provide information to anyone who asks outright -- so you're fairly safe in that department. Remaining anonymous online is a lot easier done than said. When it comes down to it though, if they're taking you to court they will soon be able to find out information about you. If it's purely for business & you aren't getting sued over the project: You're safe.
      0 Not allowed!

Not sure how much you will be able to hide.
    May be you can register the site with a fake name and address or use privacy option to hide all details.
    And I think no host will reveal your details unless it is due to some legal action.

Edit: YOu just beat me David. I also posted almost same.
    Matt A.
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you guys, you have been really very helpful. I have a registered company so i think I will take all your suggestions on board and register it through my company which is off shore

Thank-you once again.
      0 Not allowed!

100% Anonymous? I think it might be possible for a short time. But sooner or later some will find out a way to identify you.

The best way would be using free hosting and manage your site from a cybercafe through a proxy server.

Your IP can always be traced unless you use paid anonymous surfing like www.anonymizer.com. But as it is paid you can be identified.
    Last edited by freeflyer; 10-01-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"
      0 Not allowed!

Pay with egold. Proxy or tunnel to your FTP.

Don't log anything on your webserver.
    semi-retired
      0 Not allowed!

I think he needs to stay anonymous to the public. Even though he deals directly with the host, I think it won't be an issue.
    Almost all reputable hosts will check fraud score and may not enable an account with out proper verification. But it won't be a big issue as they won't reveal your details to the public.
    Matt A.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not 100% sure this would work, however, I'm assuming a registrar with whoisguard (or similar), plus paying via paypal with many hosts would allow you not to provide 100% accurate billing information.

It wouldn't work with us, however, I'm assuming there are hosts out there that when payment comes via paypal (or any other method outside of CC), as long aa payment is legit it probably doesn't require ID to verify your information.

Paying via money order would probably do similar.

Just an idea, not one that we would support, but I'm sure it'd work out there somewhere.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com
      0 Not allowed!

As long as the domain registration is made private, someone looking for him would only be able to figure out what host he uses, at least without initiating legal action. Most hosts (myself included) won't release information to random people, as stated earlier in the thread, but will pretty much release information in response to a subpoena. If he doesn't want his host subpoenaed, he'd probably do best to find hosting in a country other than the one he's in.

If he doesn't want the hosting to show up on his credit card statement either, he could always use gift cards. I always notice the American Express gift cards every time I go to the supermarket--one of those is probably enough for a year's worth or hosting. I don't think I'd actually do this if I were looking for a host, but it's worth a shot. Hope that helps!
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct
      0 Not allowed!

thanks again guys, you have been a great help

I just need to remain anonymous from anyone other than my host.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by loosegoose View Post
    thanks again guys, you have been a great help

I just need to remain anonymous from anyone other than my host.
    Thats easy then. As told above, register the domain and use their whoisguard so that it will not show any of your details.
    May be you can also purchase private nameservers with your host and can use your own nameservers.
    Matt A.
      0 Not allowed!

there is whois privacy that will allow you to stay anonymous for the public, but when registereing the web hosting account the provider will ask you to submit your actual and valid details. Under privacy policy this is anonymous as hosting provider is not authorized to share your details unless it is required by court
    http://www.eskhosting.com - reliable web hosting services with no overselling. E-commerce hosting solutions. Domains registration with Whois privacy
      0 Not allowed!

for anonymous hosting you need offshore hosting , probably server in Asian country and require no contract

I think everyone have the right to be anonymous
      0 Not allowed!

using e-gold, for the most part you don't even need to give any info. just an email.
    semi-retired
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon View Post
    using e-gold, for the most part you don't even need to give any info. just an email.

He needs to remain anonymous from anyone other than his host. So this won't be an issue.
    Matt A.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    He needs to remain anonymous from anyone other than his host. So this won't be an issue.
    they can't subpoena your host for information that they don't have
    semi-retired
      0 Not allowed!

There are some hosts out there which specialize in privacy. I was looking into this issue last winter. I don't think I can post the web host due to rules (am I correct) but I'm sure a google search will find them for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast