hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : DNS Conundrum with 1and1.com

Forum Jump

DNS Conundrum with 1and1.com

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

DNS Conundrum with 1and1.com

This is the problem I'm facing:

I have a domain registered with 1and1.com (klenwell.com). I have a VPS running Linux with a different host. I have configured bind to run as my nameserver for the domains ns1.klenwell.com and ns2.klenwell.com. (I have run dig to verify the bind is configured properly.)

The problem: when I try to change the primary and secondary name servers for klenwell.com at 1and1.com using the form provided by the 1and1 control panel, I get the following error message:

Quote:
The name server is not sufficient or hasn't been approved.Subdomains of the original domainname as name servers for the original domainname need a fixed IP! Please refer to the FAQ (keyword: Glue domain)!
So I enter the IP address and I get the following error message:

Quote:
The name server is not sufficient or hasn't been approved.
So I called 1and1.com support hoping they could fix this. But it appeared that the young woman who took my call was unable to comprehend the problem (she kept referring to Plesk -- which had nothing to do with the issue here).

I was prepared for this and hoping to get passed up to someone who knew what she was doing. But before that could happen, after going around in circles with Level 1 support for about 10 minutes, I mysteriously got disconnected! (I guess I had used up my time quota.)

Am I SOL here? It seems like a chicken-and-egg problem. I can't change the DNS settings until 1and1 is able verify that my nameserver domains are valid. But they won't be valid until 1and1 changes them. And 1and1 support seems totally incapable of providing any help.

I know I could use a free third-party service, but I wanted to have some practice running my own nameserver. Also I want to be able to add subdomains myself. (Right now, I have to manually add them through 1and1.com and am limited to 5.)

Any help is appreciated. Otherwise, I'll just use this as an opportunity to vent my frustration at 1and1.com's support. <sigh>

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Community Liaison 2.0

As with any registrar, you need to register your private nameservers before you can delegate to them.

From a quick google it looks like 1&1 doesn't make this easy, but the top result may help you.

"An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today." - Laurence J. Peter

Old 09-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Security Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobic View Post
quick google it looks like 1&1 doesn't make this easy, but the top result may help you.
It's not so bad, all the OP has to do is create 2 subdomains:

ns1 - (first IP address)
ns2 - (second IP address)

After several hours (unless they changed things around) he should be able to use the name servers.

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post

ns1 - (first IP address)

After several hours (unless they changed things around) he should be able to use the name servers.
Thanks for the suggestion. The same idea occurred to me shortly after I posted this. I'll give it a try.

As far as the google link foobic posted, this is the only thing I saw as related to 1and1 (from the second listed link):

Quote:
If your domain register is 1and1, i suggest u move to another register like namecheap or godaddy for the easiest approach to this. 1and1 doesnt allow you to register nameserver.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Security Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by klenwell View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. The same idea occurred to me shortly after I posted this. I'll give it a try.

As far as the google link foobic posted, this is the only thing I saw as related to 1and1 (from the second listed link):
Here's the direct 1&1 FAQ:

http://faq.1and1.com/dedicated_serve...erver_/12.html

Only the top portion of the FAQ is relevant to creating name servers.

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:

ns1 - (first IP address)

Quote:
Here's the direct 1&1 FAQ:

http://faq.1and1.com/dedicated_serve...erver_/12.html

Only the top portion of the FAQ is relevant to creating name servers.
Thanks, I don't know how I missed it

You are Here: FAQ -> Dedicated Servers -> Windows Server -> Windows Server -> Article #12

Old 02-25-2011, 05:09 AM

I am having the same problem with 1and1. Don't know why but they always make things complicated for their services.

I have a few domains registered with them and would like to use my own name servers hosted elsewhere. I set up my DNS's name servers with GoDaddy and would like to use them with 1and1, I know this is possible almost with any registrar I have used so far. I can use my own name servers no matter where they are hosted.

So I created two subdomains for one of the domains registered with 1and1 and then I realized I am actually creating a new set of name servers lol.

Can anyone point out how I could use my own name servers with fresh registered domains at 1and1? (eg. ns1.blabla.com ns2.blabla.com - where blabla.com is registered with eg. namecheap)

Much appreciated.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Providing Healthcare Hosting Services Under the HIPAA Omnibus Final Rule Web Hosting News 2013-09-20 18:13:44