questions about TOP on dual processor server

I have a dual processor server and today I was monitoring CPU usage using the ‘top’ command

There was a mysql process I was tweaking around with where the CPU % kept jumping over 100%.. It went up to 155%, 175%, 180% on numerous occasions.

My question is on a dual processor machine does ‘top’ measure CPU usage between 0% and 200% or does the usages I saw earlier mean my server was getting REALLY overloaded?

Thanks

The first one, the "really overloaded" would show up in the load averages on the top right.

%CPU is a process's share of the CPU time since the last screen update, expressed as a percentage of total CPU time per processor.

Time spent in niced tasks will also be counted in system and user time, so the total can go more than 100%.

If cpu% per process goes high, you will need to check that process in detail.
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

thanks guys

I was deliberatly overloading the mysql process to test CPU usage.

the main thing I wanted to know was on a dual processor does top still measure CPU usage as 0%-100% or as 0%-200%

Overnight I installed munin and in there the CPU usage is masured between 0%-200%

It will show all CPU's or all cores, if you press "1" after top command is running, "1" will switch to all cpus %age.

thanks guys