Thread: IIS Lockdown

IIS Lockdown

I downloaded that program last night and was securing the server, needless to say I couldnt do anything to my server, i had to reinstall everything. What exactly does that program shut down to make my server pretty much inaccessable as the admin? I couldnt do anything in my services console, nothing at all..... or did I read the security bulliten wrong on MS's website.... ? curious

IIS Lockdown should not affect anything with administration. What options did you choose, when you say it was "pretty much inaccessable", what do you mean? Also, you can re-run the IISlockdown tool and it will return the system back to factory.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

I ran the program, it didnt give me anything to select it just showed me a list of what was gonna be disabled i said ok... when I booted back up... I couldnt do anything accept run a program. now I get an error when I run CMD or command. The Service console, it wouldnt let me right click and select properties, anything that was disabled it wouldnt let me enable it or start it... I couldnt copy and paste or cut and paste, the configure server window nothing came up, add remove programs it was blank, I couldnt connect to the internet.... only thing that worked mainly was windows it self, programs and games..... What exactly happened?

~Ron

I think you may have something else wrong not related to IISlockdown. It only affects IIS and sets some file permissions. What error messages do you get?
    Mike @ Xiolink.com

yeah - I've used iis lockdown on a number of servers at work- and never had any of these problems.
    neil MCITP, VCP

i gave up, i formatted the system cause this morning i have blackice installed and it was beeping and making all kinds of noise... after it was done, rebooted the system, i got a blue screen saying something about missing boot something.

Im slowly finding out that Win2k server security SUCKS! 3rd time ive had to format my system

Im slowly finding out that Win2k server security SUCKS! 3rd time ive had to format my system
    You should not have to keep reinstalling the system and W2K's security is pretty decent. If you tell us what errors you are getting and what you have done, we can help. If you post "I ran IISLockdown and it does not work, W2K sucks" there is not much we can do
    Mike @ Xiolink.com

yea, understandable. I apologize.... Format is easier since last one I did, i didnt have anything installed cept what i needed to make the system work so, kinda something i can light a fire to and put it out and start over. I did format this time in NTFS, i got a firewall and anti-virus and my service packs installed... now if i can just keep the hackers out.

What would be nice though is, what services can I disable basically manually, just whatever is needed for windows itself, and IIS to run, the rest i dont really use, afraid to run IIS lock down again, last time I ran it, it may not of been the thing that gave me problems but when I ran it again, it said I needed IIS 4 or 5 later to run it... which didnt make sense, if I already ran it the first time around, and have IIS 5 installed... why the second time i got that message im not sure. Alls well for now though

Well, Microsoft Technet is your friend:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...st/wsrvsec.asp
    Hmm, what does this do... Oops!

The lockdown tool should have no affect on the system operation and usage. All it does is disable ports, coding, and such related to IIS. The only problem I have ever had with it was with the original version that came out right after Code Red, it would disable everything but wouldn't quite re-enable everything when I told it to, and would cause some web based stuff to not work period. Sounds like something else had gone wrong.

thats what it would do, it wouldnt re-enable anything, just said i had the wrong version of IIS. im gona run it again later today and start securing the server and we'll see how far i get this time