Suggestion Needed : Can i take action against this host !!!

www.siliconhouse.net

i registred a domine with them i paid 120$ peryear with 30mb space with 3gb bandwidth for a year (that sucks). my site was hosted in their server. when i came to know abt one of the host here. i wished to change the host. when i contacted them to change the dns they said that they cant. i have not signed in any agreement with them. i have only the bill for 120$. can i take any legal action against them.

the host is in INDIA.
    Last edited by srinath; 07-27-2002 at 01:50 PM.

y no replies !!!

What's the domain you registered with them?
    - joey

Try reporting them to the BBB.. taking legal action would cost you more then 120$

Originally posted by edude
    Try reporting them to the BBB.. taking legal action would cost you more then 120$

my father is a lawyer here so iam not worried about it.
    i have not registed any adult sites or warez sites.
    my site was full of 3ds max project files.
    wat is meant by BBB ?

The Better Business Bureau

http://www.bbb.org/

What is the domain you registered? You may be able to contact the registrar if they use a third party registrar.

Is your name on the whois information?
    - joey

Originally posted by Joey
    The Better Business Bureau

http://www.bbb.org/

What is the domain you registered? You may be able to contact the registrar if they use a third party registrar.

Is your name on the whois information?

yeahh my name is in the whois search information. yeahh the person who registred is an third party registar.

if i complaint to bbb will they take action. the host is in india.

Eh, if the host is in India, you may be screwed either way.
    - joey

Originally posted by Joey
    Eh, if the host is in India, you may be screwed either way.

screwed either way ??? wat u mean by that.

sorry my english is poor

What happens when you login at http://domains.siliconhouse.net/ ??

12. Try the BBB in India, they might not call it BBB but something else but I am sure every country has its own department to deal with this kind of companies.

Make sure you do not let them go away with it.
    And make sure you go with a more reputable company next time when registering domains and getting hosting.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Find out who they use to register domains (via whois), and lodge a complaint with them explaining that a reseller of theirs is withholding your domain without reason. In most cases they'll take action, or at least contact their reseller.

Though unrelated you could try the hosts upstream as well, though they're not going to be as concerned as the domain registrar. They may have a stronger ethic than the host in questions though and suggest they play the game.

Though one does wonder.. did they give a reason as to why they can't do this transfer for you?

Don't worry about the BBB. It's a US only organization that has no real power of it's own, especially outside the US. People suggesting that aren't being very helpful.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik
    Find out who they use to register domains (via whois), and lodge a complaint with them explaining that a reseller of theirs is withholding your domain without reason. In most cases they'll take action, or at least contact their reseller.

Though unrelated you could try the hosts upstream as well, though they're not going to be as concerned as the domain registrar. They may have a stronger ethic than the host in questions though and suggest they play the game.

Though one does wonder.. did they give a reason as to why they can't do this transfer for you?

Don't worry about the BBB. It's a US only organization that has no real power of it's own, especially outside the US. People suggesting that aren't being very helpful.

Greg Moore

they have registred my domine in www.bulkregister.com

16. Synthetic, I doubt it will help as his host is in India.

Originally posted by Synthetic
    Also: http://www1.ifccfbi.gov
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

thankx for ure advices

if you gave us your domain name we might be able to help more. Are you listed as the admin contact? If so you could just move the domain to somewhere like Dotster.com and gain full control over it. If you're just the tech contact that might prove more difficult.

Alternatively Bulk Register does have a few options for you:

http://bulkregister.com/domainsupport/support.phtml

specifically:
    6. I have followed the steps above and I still canít reach my Reseller.

a. As a provider of wholesale domain name registrations, we are not set up to handle client service issues for end users. However, if you have tried to no avail to reach your reseller then you can contact [email protected]
    b. Our first step will be to attempt to contact the reseller about this issue.

c. If they do not respond to our inquiries then we will take steps to resolve the issue, this may mean referring you to another reseller.

d. If your reseller goes out of business we will contact you and ask you to choose another provider or become a member.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

my domine name is fositech.net admin contact is my name.
    another domine is smanimaran.com i paid for this domine and they registred and gave administrative contact as their address. this shows their f**kin cheapness. probably the host will here in this forum with some other id. if i find him his hosting company will be insulted here in this forum.
    Last edited by srinath; 07-28-2002 at 05:03 AM.

I had a hell of time getting my domain name transfered from a host that bought it from bulkregister.com. If you ever get this straightened out, NEVER buy a domain from a host. Buy it separately from a registrar.

Call bulkregister.com on the phone. That's how I finally got my domain name straightened out. As far as getting your unused hosting fees returned, I don't have a clue how to do that... sorry.

can i mail them ?????

Originally posted by srinath
    can i mail them ?????
    Yes, you can mail them; but it's not the best way. I did that first and my complaint was not understood. Perhaps that was my fault. They should be able to straighten it out by mail, but it may take a lot of re-explaining and take longer.

Also, read the member's contract at bulkregister.com. If you can find something in that contract that the host is violating, report it, and it may help you. HINT: Most hosts violate bulkregister's contract by pretending to be a registrar. You might also tell the host that you will report his violation if he doesn't issue the refund; but that may or may not help.

And, I agree with Ashanik. The BBB is an American company that hardly helps us Americans, so that is not an option.

Good Luck to you!

thankx guys may be the host will be somewhere here. so i think he will see this therad and take a neccecary action !!

Go sign up for your own BulkRegister.com account (about US$10 I think) and get your BulkRegister id. Then instruct the ISP to transfer the domain to your BulkRegister ID. It shouldn't cost a penny. If they give you problems then contact BulkRegister.com directly.

thankx for ure advices they have changed my DNS. probably they would have seen this thread.