hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Design and Content : Web Design/Freelance Question

Forum Jump

Web Design/Freelance Question

Reply Post New Thread In Web Design and Content Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Question

Web Design/Freelance Question

For the past few months, I've been getting freelance jobs. Mostly due to word of mouth. I want to start creating my online presence.

I've noticed that most of the people I've worked with don't know the difference between a domain and hosting and when I direct them to sign up, it's very confusing for them. It's even discouraging for some of them, and I don't really want to lose a client because of this, but at the same time, I really don't want to host their website because I don't have the time, to offer support.

I was wondering for those of you that have more experience. How do you handle this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2007, 03:57 PM

Personally, I would create a small webpage, explaining how to sign up for a domain name, and web hosting. Have a step by step tutorial. It will easily help them.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I would create my online portfolio and spread it! Hosting, you do not have to host their websites, but at least give them an idea about how to host their website and get it running on the internet. As said above, a short tutorial should set it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

As freelancer you can host client website too, it is easy with dedicated proper support staff, some hosting providers are offer sort of option with the reseller package.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Web Hosting Master

For clients that I host myself I set up their domain/hosting accounts for them. If your client is signing up with a 3rd party host and they are getting confused why not talk them through the signup on the phone?

Old 09-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Big fan of RajiniKanth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePT View Post
Personally, I would create a small webpage, explaining how to sign up for a domain name, and web hosting. Have a step by step tutorial. It will easily help them.
Yes this is the right approach to the people who are limited to these areas.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:23 AM

Well, what I've been doing is. I've been walking them through the process either by phone or by email and once they sign up they send me the information so I can point the domain to their hosting provider.

But I guess creating that tutorial will be even better.

If you are not hosting them, do you refer them to a hosting company are you an affiliate of that company?

Old 09-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Web Hosting Master

I run a web design company and I employ a lot of freelance designers. Whenever they do freelance work for themselves they usually sign their clients up for our hosting package which means we are incharge of the hosting but they are able to get full access to the FTP etc

The designers usually try to get anual payments from their clients for us as well.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Try to find a partner who will provide your clients with hosting. If your client doesn't know about hosting, domain and so on, this means he's ready to pay for this. Moreover you can sell them a solution that includes design, hosting and domain, share a fee with your hosting partner and earn more money providing your clients with all-in-one service.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
ITX Design Launches Service to Help Simplify PCI DSS Compliance Web Hosting News 2013-01-02 10:59:36
Server Sitters Adds Website Design Service for Web Hosts Web Hosting News 2012-12-21 16:57:19
Fake Web Hosting Invoices Issued in BC, Canada Fraud Case Web Hosting News 2012-11-15 10:00:39
Joomla Hosting Study Shows Speed, Uptime Top Selling Points of a Web Host Web Hosting News 2012-11-07 15:06:36
IT Services Firm GlowTouch Acquires Web Hosting Platform Metromojo Web Hosting News 2012-10-10 15:28:50