Thread: Win2k help

Win2k help

im having a heck of a time with my ISP. It doesnt seem to want to do anything automatically so I have to manually enter in information. I have DSL with southwestern bell, and Windows 2k Server. Each time I connect with DSL, my DNS entries are not picking up, so, I go into my TCP/IP properties and enter them in manually and still nothing, i cant browse the net, or run the server. If I leave the connection on, sometimes it will work, sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect to get a new IP and it works but not very often. Earlier this evening, I deleted what was in DHCP console, enter the DNS entries in TCP/IP for my local area network PPPoE and everything worked just fine. Now, when I rebooted the computer, it goes back to not working again.

Why is it, if I enter in my DNS entries manually nothing works, it just works, when it Wants to. heres two screenshots of my ipconfig..... what am I doing wrong i been messing with it all night, afraid to reboot the system again

http://64.218.85.105/ipconfig.jpg
    http://64.218.85.105/ipconfig1.jpg

I had the exact same problem w/ my cable connection 2000 sever as well....

My solution was to stop both DNS Server and DNS Client services... After that, I havn't had any problems.
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

I had similar problems before when I upgraded my box to Win2000.

You're using PPPoE, right? Since you're with SBC, I'm guessing you're using EnterNet to do the connection? What version do you have? My problems went away when I d/l the newest version of EnterNet (version 1.5b is the latest I believe). The new versions were actually designed to fix this very problem.

I had SWB DSL w win2k and there is a way to make it connect at startup!!!! I had to dig and just can't remeber exact place now...

But I gurantee you it CAN be done!!!!!

Check advanced features of SWB connection program or network propeties if not using SWB software (which sucks and isn't needed)

ok i upgraded to the newer version and it worked, but its a trial version. Enternet software was provided by SWB, but upgrades and stuff I guess I have to purchase, and yes theres a way to run it at start up i guess if i installed it as a service but.... the autoconnect feature as windows starts up is shadowed out...

Any other ideas?

Maybe not the "best" idea, but it works for me I use ExtraDNS from http://www.extratools.com

One nice thing.... it always seems to work. Also, when I set up new accounts, I can plug in the nameserver that the new account is using, and access it by domain name before it propogates. Kinda handy at times.

Ill mess with it later tonight when I get home, do I have to turn the DNS service back on? I disabled it for now

Nope, extraDNS handles it. With Win2K, in your TCP properties, just set the dns entry to 127.0.0.1 so that it uses the loopback to pick up the DNS.
    24Host, The Next Step.
    Web Site Launch coming soon!
    Virtual and Reseller Hosting
    AIM: TchSpprt24Hst

ok thanks for the help! ill mess with it when I get home tonight!