Not blacklisted but mails being rejected

I've had problem with the VPS getting blacklisted alot lately.

Anyway, I think the problems resolved now and we've not been blacklisted for over 2 days, yet there still seems to be alot of e-mail servers rejecting mails from the server due to blacklisting.

Is there anything I can do?

You can only wait a bit more and see what happends. Have you checked if both the ip and the domain you are sending e-mail from are not blacklisted ?
    IntoDNS - Check your DNS health and configuration
    FLEIO - OpenStack billing and control panel for service providers

Quote Originally Posted by Cristi4n View Post
    You can only wait a bit more and see what happends. Have you checked if both the ip and the domain you are sending e-mail from are not blacklisted ?
    How do I check if a domain is blacklisted? The search I'm using at the minute only checks IP addresses and it check about 140 blacklists, we're not on any of them.

is it blacklisting or greylisting?

Quote Originally Posted by littlened View Post
    How do I check if a domain is blacklisted? The search I'm using at the minute only checks IP addresses and it check about 140 blacklists, we're not on any of them.
    Usually it's the IP address that gets blacklisted and not the domain name. I said usually for those nitpickers in here!

Do you remember what blacklist you originally ended up on? Most will provide you with a URL for more details, including why you were blacklisted.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
    Usually it's the IP address that gets blacklisted and not the domain name. I said usually for those nitpickers in here!

Do you remember what blacklist you originally ended up on? Most will provide you with a URL for more details, including why you were blacklisted.
    One of them was CBL, but I had us removed from that a few days ago, and we've not been added since.

There was another blacklist we got added too which gave us evidence, I forwarded that evidence onto my VPS provider who seems to have resolved the spam issue.

Although no spam is being sent out, and we're no longer blacklisted, theres still a fair few people we can't send mails to, Yahoo is one of them.

Although no spam is being sent out, and we're no longer blacklisted, theres still a fair few people we can't send mails to, Yahoo is one of them.
    Yahoo! does a lot of greylisting, have you checked the mail logs to see what the exact "error" message is?

It should say something like:

2007-08-29 05:00:01 1I3pr6-0001Oo-Mu SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host f.mx.mail.yahoo.com [68.142.202.247]: 451 Message temporarily deferred - [160]

Usually , but not that usually. In many cases the domain gets blacklisted and not the IP.

Usually , but not that usually. In many cases the domain gets blacklisted and not the IP.
    What common RBL blacklists based on domain?

Yahoo! does a lot of greylisting, have you checked the mail logs to see what the exact "error" message is?

It should say something like:

2007-08-29 05:00:01 1I3pr6-0001Oo-Mu SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host f.mx.mail.yahoo.com [68.142.202.247]: 451 Message temporarily deferred - [160]
    ...and they give you a link to a page that doesn't explain WHY you're deferred.

Yahoo and Hotmail don't "play well with others" so I've taken the initiative to specifically ban their e-mail addresses on all of our services. Perhaps everyone should consider it too since your users have better alternatives.

The error from yahoo is;

SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
    host mx1.mail.ukl.yahoo.com [195.50.106.7]: 553 Mail from ??.???.??.? not allowed - [10]

Quote Originally Posted by ximi View Post
    ...and they give you a link to a page that doesn't explain WHY you're deferred.
    If you contact Yahoo! using the correct form, they will provide you with more details as to why messages are getting deferred from your server.

Hotmail are just a PITA to deal with, unless you're willing to buy into that SenderID BS.

The error from yahoo is;

SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
    host mx1.mail.ukl.yahoo.com [195.50.106.7]: 553 Mail from ??.???.??.? not allowed - [10]
    Yeah, you're definitely blocked on their end.

If you're positive you're no longer on any blacklists, have an open relay and your DNS is setup correctly, follow the link below to have them retest your IP:

http://help.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/mail/cgi_retest

Yeah, you're definitely blocked on their end.

If you're positive you're no longer on any blacklists, have an open relay and your DNS is setup correctly, follow the link below to have them retest your IP:

http://help.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/mail/cgi_retest
    there is no link to retest the IP address

there is no link to retest the IP address
    The link will force you to login to Yahoo! where you can then provide the details to their staff who will retest the IP for you.

I imagine if your IP comes back "clean" they will allow it to connect to their mail servers again.

Pat_H, nobody was refering to common rbls that can block domain names. There are a lot of rbls that block domain names also, instead of ip addresses and also e-mails that contain links to domain names. Anyway looks like it's a yahoo problem so it's not related to rbl

Pat_H, nobody was refering to common rbls that can block domain names. There are a lot of rbls that block domain names also, instead of ip addresses and also e-mails that contain links to domain names. Anyway looks like it's a yahoo problem so it's not related to rbl
    It's more than just yahoo, it's also Hotmail, I've contact them both and hopefully get removed from their blacklists.

It also seems to be other ISP's as well, so I suppose I'll also have to contact them directly.

I think this is really stupid though, we're not on a blacklist yet I'm having to contact anyone we cant send mails to to get removed from their own blacklist...right pain in the backside.

If you contact Yahoo! using the correct form, they will provide you with more details as to why messages are getting deferred from your server.

Hotmail are just a PITA to deal with, unless you're willing to buy into that SenderID BS.
    I have SPF since it was very easy to set up. SenderID and DomainKeys are not and are also complete failures considering I don't get any less spam on my Hotmail/Yahoo accounts than I did before.

I looked at the page they give me (http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai.../abuse-60.html) and the form they ask me to fill out and both seem like a waste of time. My e-mail servers are locked down and my IP addresses aren't on any RBLs. Whatever their reasoning is for blocking my mail, it's faulty.