Question FTP will not work!!!

Hi,
    After spending nearly 4 days trying to get ftp working on my server i still haven't achieved it. I got a server with a default install of plesk and cent os 4. I update to 8.2 and when i first go to try ftp it says "server closed connection" on my ftp client. So then i tried updating 8.2 again and the installer failed. So i tried manually installing both proftpd and pureftpd via ssh and yum and it fails to install. I've also restarted the server a few times. I've tried logging in with every single username/domain/i.p. assigned to the server. and i've had no luck. Can someone please help me, i really want to upload some files to my server.
    Cheers

with yum were it fails ? can you post some error messages ?
    IntoDNS - Check your DNS health and configuration
    FLEIO - OpenStack billing and control panel for service providers

Hi,
    Here's whats happens when i try installing proftpd:
    Code:
    [root@dofus ~]# yum install proftpd
    Setting up Install Process
    Setting up repositories
    update                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00     
    base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00     
    addons                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00     
    extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00     
    Reading repository metadata in from local files
    Parsing package install arguments
    No Match for argument: proftpd
    Nothing to do
    Cheers

how about switching to pure ftp and see if that works .. if any problems continues let me know .. I will try my best to help you . .
    Mrgeekchris.com ~ It's not just a job It's a passion
    "Mistakes are proof that you are trying"

Thanks Daspawnx, I get the exact same results when installing pure ftpd as pro ftpd.

Please do a yum search proftp and pure-ftpd, I think Plesk already installed them. If that is true, then try to see why they do not start. If Plesk did not install them you should have the rpm's in the copy of the Plesk 8.2, try to install from there.

Use

yum list *ftp*

And look at the Available Packages
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Use

yum list *ftp*

And look at the Available Packages
    Heres what i get:
    Code:
    Installed Packages
    ftp.i386                                 0.17-22                installed       
    lftp.i386                                3.0.6-3                installed       
    psa-ftputil.i586                         8.2.0-cos4.build820707 installed       
    Available Packages
    ftp.i386                                 0.17-23.EL4            base            
    gftp.i386                                1:2.0.17-6             base            
    tftp.i386                                0.39-2                 base            
    tftp-server.i386                         0.39-2                 base            
    vsftpd.i386
    I successfully removed pro ftpd but i cannot install it now. Is it easier if i just reformat the server and install plesk again?

Just download the source from proftpd.org

Follow the instructions and compile it manually. I wouldn't do a complete re-install.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

Good idea.
    I feel soo stupid now. I uninstalled Plesk and i tried to re install it and now when i try to install i get this error:
    Code:
    chown: cannot access `/usr/local/psa/etc/httpsd.pem': No such file or directory

ERROR while trying to chown root:0 /usr/local/psa/etc/httpsd.pem
    Check the error reason(see log file: /tmp/psa-hotfix82070807.17.log), fix and try again

Aborting...

error: %post(psa-hotfix3-8.2.0-cos4.build82070807.17.i586) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
    ERROR: Error while execute command rpm -U /root/swsoft/PSA_8.2.0/dist-rpm-CentOS-4.2-i386/base/psa-hotfix3-8.2.0-cos4.build82070807.17.i586.rpm 
    Errors just before:
    - Error while execute command rpm -U /root/swsoft/PSA_8.2.0/dist-rpm-CentOS-4.2-i386/base/psa-hotfix3-8.2.0-cos4.build82070807.17.i586.rpm

Check if the rpm install is working fine on the server. Try installing a sample rpm on server.
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

pure-ftpd/proftpd are not included in the default repositories. If he has extra repos he should check to see if proftp or pureftp are not added in the ignore list in yum.