hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : Different e-mail/Web server but same domain name

Forum Jump

Different e-mail/Web server but same domain name

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Different e-mail/Web server but same domain name

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out. I've been trying to get this figured out for the past week and have not had any success. Here is my problem, I have one domain name, I have the Web services provided on one server, and I need my e-mail provided on a different server for the same domain. I can't seem to figure out how to get my e-mail set up that is on a different server. I really need to get my e-mail going because it's very important. I think this has something to do with updating the MX records and some other stuff but I have no idea how to do it through my registrars control panel that they have. I registered it through Go Daddy.

Sponsored Links
Old
Disabled

where is your dns hosted? Give us a domain name if you aren't sure.

Old

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

It looks to be still hosted at GoDaddy. Do you have the ability to host it at your own DNS?

I am not sure how you would do this at GoDaddy, but you would have to delete your current MX records and set the MX records to the mail server you are trying to use. It shouldn't be too hard of a task for you.

Old
WHT Addict

If www.polistem.org is an A record that points to 1.2.3.4 (your web server's IP address) then you need an MX record for polistem.org that points to mail.polistem.org. Finally, mail.polistem.org is an A record that points to 1.2.3.5 (your mail server's IP address). MX records should point to A records.

DNS RR setup:
www.polistem.org A 1.2.3.4
mail.polistem.org A 1.2.3.5
polistem.org MX mail.polistem.org

Don't forget to include the priority for the MX record but I think you can figure that out.

Look at your current records, it seems you have this set up already as polistem.org points to a different IP than the MX record mentions. NOTE AGAIN, an MX record should not point to an IP address.

Old
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ximi View Post
If www.polistem.org is an A record that points to 1.2.3.4 (your web server's IP address) then you need an MX record for polistem.org that points to mail.polistem.org. Finally, mail.polistem.org is an A record that points to 1.2.3.5 (your mail server's IP address). MX records should point to A records.

DNS RR setup:
www.polistem.org A 1.2.3.4
mail.polistem.org A 1.2.3.5
polistem.org MX mail.polistem.org

Don't forget to include the priority for the MX record but I think you can figure that out.

Look at your current records, it seems you have this set up already as polistem.org points to a different IP than the MX record mentions. NOTE AGAIN, an MX record should not point to an IP address.
What he said. Also, make sure the MX priority is higher than 0, 1 should be sufficient.

Old

Is there anyone who has experience with this who I might be able to chat with on a Instant Messenger? I still need help please.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - July 18, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-07-18 16:13:06
123-reg Launches Domain Reselling Service on Global Domain Marketplace Web Hosting News 2013-06-19 14:48:10
Go Daddy Supports Canadian Businesses with French-Character .CA Domain Names Web Hosting News 2013-01-14 10:59:11
.co.za Domain Price Hike Expected to Push Registrars, ISPs to Use EPP System Web Hosting News 2013-01-11 13:35:51
.CA Domain Will Support French Characters Starting Mid-January Web Hosting News 2012-12-31 15:11:30