Question Hardware Based IP Limiting?

I've been searching a while for a box that I can throw in front of my servers that will basically look at inbound connections and if there are more than X amount of connections from IP:XXX it will block it for X minutes.

I thought a standard load balancer would do it, but according to Barracuda, their load balancers don't. They do DDOS prevention, but that's based on packet inspection. What I'm looking for is something that will block legitimate traffic when there's just been too much in a short amount of time. Basically I've got people using autosurfing programs and refreshers on my site and I'm getting tired of analyzing log files to find them.

Any suggestions?

If their IPs are static you can block them from Apache too but forever

I'm not on apache, and I know how to block IPs, but I want something that is dynamic. Something that will look for the patterns listed, and automatically block the IP.

It's not a hardware thing but DDoS by inetbase (I think) is software that does exactly this. It'll run every x minutes looking at all connections and which IP has how many connections (you specify the threshold) and block an IP for however many minutes you specify.

http://www.inetbase.com/scripts/ddos/install.sh

I got it from here somewhere but lost the page.

All of the Juniper SSGs and older NetScreens will do this using its screening feature.
    http://www.easyisp.no

Hi Leperous - Sorry that I am replying late to your post, but take a look at the RioRey devices. I can send you more information on them if you desire. But, you definitely should look into it because it matches up with your specifications minus the rate limiting.