dedicated ip address

i'm looking to sign up for the express plan with hostpacket, and the only question i have is that you don't get a dedicated ip address with that plan.

what are the downsides to not having a dedicated ip?

also, i've looked through the forums and found that people are satisfied with hostpacket, but if anyone has anything new to share that would be appreciated as well. thanks.

"A dedicated IP address is an IP address unique to the domain it is assigned. Shared IP domains share the IP address of the server the domain resides on rather than having their own dedicated IP. To have subdomains (for example, sub.yourdomain.com, where sub is the subdomain) or DNS pointers (where a domain points to another domain using DNS entries rather than html forwarding) you must have a dedicated IP."

You also need a dedicated IP to install an SSL Certificate for secure transactions (Shopping Cart).

Originally posted by Synthetic
    "A dedicated IP address is an IP address unique to the domain it is assigned. Shared IP domains share the IP address of the server the domain resides on rather than having their own dedicated IP. To have subdomains (for example, sub.yourdomain.com, where sub is the subdomain) or DNS pointers (where a domain points to another domain using DNS entries rather than html forwarding) you must have a dedicated IP."
    Actually, that's not true. You only need a dedicated IP if you want to do anonymous FTP or if you want to buy your own SSL certificate.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

Originally posted by Synthetic
    Yeah, that's been incorrect for many years ever since Apache introduced VirtualHosts

Even Anonymous FTP will function without a dedicated IP -- mainly it's for an SSL cert.
    Jay » [email protected] • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

Opps, sorry for that mistake.

I searched through Google and instantly copied the information. Probably should've read it over first...

I know this doesn't really apply in *this* situation - but if you want to install scripts that require payment or registration. It's sometime necessary to get a dedicated IP - as they 'authenticate' you via this ip
    neil MCITP, VCP

Anonymous login is not that sophisticated with [email protected]

just try linking it in a regular browser. [email protected]:[email protected]

Works better if you replace the @ sign with something else.

Cpanel really sucks with anonymous ftp on one ip

So be aware!

I guess some more sophisticated ftpd scripts and servers can handle a seperate true anonymous login per domain name. But some can not.
    I like to help

If you're planning to trasferr domains it helps to have a dedicated IP . Some hosts will set it up where you don't need to have one to transferr seamlessly.

Originally posted by neil
    I know this doesn't really apply in *this* situation - but if you want to install scripts that require payment or registration. It's sometime necessary to get a dedicated IP - as they 'authenticate' you via this ip
    Not necessarily... you have to have a static IP (which one would hope all people with hosting have) but you don't need a dedicated IP.

The script authenticates you by the IP address your domain points to. It doesn't matter if this IP address is yours only or is shared with every other domain on the server.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

Originally posted by shaunewing

Not necessarily... you have to have a static IP (which one would hope all people with hosting have) but you don't need a dedicated IP.

The script authenticates you by the IP address your domain points to. It doesn't matter if this IP address is yours only or is shared with every other domain on the server.

--Shaun
    I had two shared hosting customers who ran into problems because they were both running the same script and whoever produced it was getting upset / confused / whatever. One of them bought a ded ip and we didn't have any other problems

As far as I know a dedicated ip is mainly needed for your own ssl cert.

If you really think you need one, just ask Kevin at Hostpacket how much it would be. He's offering custom packages all the time in the Requests forum. I'm sure he could detail something for you if you ask.

BTW, what made you choose HostPacket as your final choice? I'm thinking of using them too.

StateDOG

Originally posted by Maximiliam
    Anonymous login is not that sophisticated with [email protected]

just try linking it in a regular browser. [email protected]:[email protected]

Works better if you replace the @ sign with something else.

Cpanel really sucks with anonymous ftp on one ip

So be aware!

I guess some more sophisticated ftpd scripts and servers can handle a seperate true anonymous login per domain name. But some can not.
    Most people don't know to use that username for anonymous FTP. They expect "anonymous" without the stuff at the end of it. I suppose you could provide symlinks from each user's public_ftp to /home/ftp/username. That way, people can just use plain anonymous as their username and be able to cd to /username to get the right files.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

Thats an idea.. it could certinately be used for most customers. But some require their own private anonymous ftp space just because they want it that way
    I like to help

Another very important benefit, onecan get by having a dedicated Ip for their site is in therms of SEO ( search Engine Optimisation )...

In the sense that :

If you are on the shared hosting, in which the same IP is shared by say 'n" number of sites, if one site out of 'n' is penalised by some search engine b'cos of some of their unethical ways of attainging higher rankings...most of the sites under the IP will get bannned...

So, if one of your priorities is Search Engine positioning...a dedicated Ip can help you in the long run.