Exclamation exim maxing out after V 11 upgrade - cpanel

Hello,
    Are there others that are having a problem with exim getting slammed with the max allowed connections after updating to cpanel 11 ???

I have upgraded perl to 5.8.8 and upgraded cpanel. Now, all day yesterday, last night, and now.. pstree is showing exim maxed out.

Clients are complaining that they can't send email due to the "too many connections" error.

I have bumped up the max to 300 for now to hopefully get more clients able to send, but it is quickly working its way over 200 as I type this.

I have tried every setting in the exim configuration editor, on and off, I have a data center techs working on it since yesterday...

Anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

Thank you,
    Tim L
    Superior Host LLC - Quality Web Hosting since 1998
    We really do support you like no other
    Secure, ultra reliable hosting
    Website Maintenace Plans and a Personal Level of Support

check your mail stats on the server side and see if there's any possible spam relay through your mail server. Check the exim mail log as well which will help you with some clues.
    Tweakservers : Authorised Reseller of SmarterMail | SmarterStats | SmarterStats | Mailenable

Hi,
    \We have been looking through all the logs. It isn't some spammer that has just popped up though. This only started with the version 11 cpanel update.
    We checked every log you can think of...

Thanks,
    Tim L

Just out of curiosity, how many Exim processes are running?

ps aux | grep -c exim
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Hi,
    at the moment, just 109.
    Yeah,, just...
    It has been well over 200 once I upped the max connections so my users could connect.

I may have stumbled on something. In the configuration editor, there is now this line:
    Maximum size in kilobytes of a message that will be scanned by SpamAssassin

It was set at 200. I set it down to 200 and it lowered the number of connections. I guess it is clearing them out faster.
    I will set it down to 150 and see how that dose.

Tim L

There still shouldn't be that many Exim processes running... I'm not completely convinced that SpamAssassin is creating the bottleneck here.

The only times I have seen Exim spawn over a hundred processes was either due to a Denial of Service attack or a clients catch-all / forwarder that was targeted by a botnet of spammers.

Just to confirm... is SpamAssassin turned off globally and you did tail the Exim logs, correct?

Only for info, i have similar problem in my vps. I put some rules to delete directly in certain spamassain filters, and reduce much
    Each registrar is a tool. Not all Tools are for the same thing

Try to see if the resolver is working ok. Why the resolver ? Well, if you do RBL checks and the local dns resolver is not ok, then you will have 100 or 200 exim processes. I saw that in a small server. No spammer and little e-mail traffic. It was just exim that could not resolve spamhaus.org and other rbls. Also check if you have custom rbls they are working ok a.s.o. All that, if you are sure you have no spammer and no problems with too many e-mails going through your server.
    IntoDNS - Check your DNS health and configuration
    FLEIO - OpenStack billing and control panel for service providers

Thank you for all the replies. We have checked everything mentioned here and more...

Just can't figure it out, and any it only started after the version 11 upgrade. Usually is is around 30 to 45 exim processes durring the peak times, unless a newsletter is going out.

Thank you,
    TiM L

Well, since this (upgrade) problem is obviously affecting your clients you should put in a trouble ticket with cPanel.

If you are not authorized to submit a trouble ticket directly, you could ask on their forums: http://forums.cpanel.net