we are going to buy a dedicated server. i think our server will have the following configuration:
ATX - Motherboard
About 1GB SDRAM "Memory"
3com-905 Ethernet card "10/100"
Pentium III 700 MHZ
2 Western Digital Drives - 20 Gig
Raid Level 1
1 Western Digital Drivers also 20 GB for daily Backup
we think we'll have about 250 customers each server.
if possible some more.
now i've got some questions:
1. what about the hardware. do you think is enough performance for 250 customers? the most part of those sites are only html sites. there will be some mysql databases (up to 20, small ones), php and cgi sites.
2. what about raidlevel1 is this usually? if not what would you suggest?
3. is this hardware configuration good or would you suggest some other hardware parts for better performance?
4. is there a standard for such servers?
5. where can i get benchmark tests of such servers?
6. in the near future would you suggest us to have for example a mysql server, etc.?
7. is a 700MHz cpu enough. would you suggest us a dual cpu?
thanks a lot!