updating php4 to php5 on centos

I am on a softlayer server with centos 4.x installed. I have a custom php 4.4.6 installed along with eaccelerator 0.95. This is what I need:

PHP 5 with:
    zlib
    jpeg
    mysql
    freetype
    gd

my current configure string is:

'./configure'
    '--with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs'
    '--with-mysql'
    '--enable-wddx'
    '--with-ldap=shared'
    '--with-mysql--enable-memory-limit'
    '--enable-shmop'
    '--enable-calendar'
    '--enable-dbx'
    '--enable-dio'
    '--enable-mbstring'
    '--with-zlib'
    '--enable-exif'
    '--with-gd=/usr/local'

I want to update to PHP5, but I want to make sure I have all the extras I need. I'm also worried that if I install PHP5 that eaccelerator will break. Will that need to be reinstalled?

Could someone walk me through this procedure? I can ask SoftLayer to upgrade PHP5, but I doubt they will touch eaccelerator.

Simply configure and install php5 the exact same way you did with PHP4 and it should work. You may need to recompile/install eAccelerator with PHP5 after it is installed though. Everything else should work fine though.

Check list:
    Is libjpeg, freetype, zlib installed?
    You might want to enable mysqli too. (--with-mysqli=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config)
    Then for the libs point to the path (examples from bsd isntallation):

--with-gd --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-png-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local --with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/lib

Yes, you might want to add libpng.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Arm View Post
    Check list:
    Is libjpeg, freetype, zlib installed?
    You might want to enable mysqli too. (--with-mysqli=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config)
    Then for the libs point to the path (examples from bsd isntallation):

--with-gd --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-png-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local --with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/lib

Yes, you might want to add libpng.

everything I need is currently in my php4 install, I just need php5 for mediawiki.

how would this work with yum? I didn't do the initial installs and my server jockey doesn't have time. I was hoping some kind soul could do some hand holding and outline what to do/expect.

I'd be more concerned about breaking older apps with the upgrade to PHP5; it's not strictly backwards compatible.

Is there an older version of the desired app that is compatible with PHP4?

As to your other questions, you might try compiling php as a CLI or CGI, then do a phpinfo() using it, and compare to the old one. As a CLI/CGI version, you can test it out without updating Apache (and potentially breaking other stuff); just make sure you don't do 'make install' at any point.