Thread: Site for Sale

Site for Sale

Hi,

I run PDA Center (http://www.pdacenter.net). I am considering selling the site. It has been around for three years, and has a fair amount of traffic.

Unfortunately, I'm still a student, and believe me, it's rather hard to try to do this all at the same time, which is why I'm looking for someone or some business to buy my site.

If you are interested in buying it, you would own it, but I would like to still run it, as in posting news, being a moderator in the forums, posting reviews and articles, etc.

If you are interested, please e-mail me, PM me, or reply to this message. Please include how much you are willing to spend. Thanks!
    Last edited by dmitler; 07-26-2002 at 05:33 PM.

What kind of revenue does the site bring in and what range in pricing are you expecting?

I'm afraid the current revenue is confidential.

My asking price is at least $1,000, because it has a strong user base, steady revenue, a good tld, and over 100K page views/month.

I would consider offers of $2,500 or more, a lot more seriously.
    Last edited by dmitler; 07-26-2002 at 09:20 PM.

You may get some serious offers if you gave a bit more information. Would you buy ANY business out there if someone would not give you a look at the P & L's?

If your simply selling blue sky (meaning there is no real revenue), then that is fine also...but if there is revenue it should be divulged to get any serious offers.

Good point. The revenue (as of now) is around $100/quarter. I expect this (as well as the traffic) to increase, as I've just started an advertising campaign on Google.

Another reason for that price is that hundreds of hours went into that site, so it has sentimental value too. I would personally say that $1,000 is a bit low, but I'm hoping someone will be generous and offer more

I'd seriously consider this, but I'm not interested at all in pda's since i dont even have one.

I think with some work, the site can grow nicely.

Good luck selling it

Hehe, ok, thanks

Any particular reason why you are selling it?

I mean, you want to still run it ... so it's not like the site is dragging you down ... why sell it at all?

here's your target end user/buyer
    www.ASP.net
    go to the forum's
    a wealth of info.. excellent forum.

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have a hard time getting $1000.00 for the site. It's a nice site, but buyers nowadays look primarily at what revenue is generated.

You say revenue is $100 per quarter? That's only $25 per month in revenue? Less hosting cost? You'd just be basically breaking even, right? Even if $25 was after paying for your hosting, that's still only $25. The average web site purchaser will offer you 6-12 months of actual profit. Trying to sell a site on potential profits went by the wayside a couple of years ago. Nobody pays for future potential anymore.

Also, I'm a little confused about why you're wanting to sell.
    Unfortunately, I'm still a student, and believe me, it's rather hard to try to do this all at the same time, which is why I'm looking for someone or some business to buy my site.
    That suggests you don't have the time to run the site. Yet in the same breath, you say you still want to run it. Makes no sense to me...

As far as the number of hours that went into building the site, we've all been there. All of us at one point or another have grown attached to a site. Yes, sentimentality is a factor here. But only for you. I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just a fact. Buyers do not care whatsoever about sentimentality. That doesn't do anything for the bottom line. Again, not to be harsh. When I sold the first site I ever built, it was like pulling teeth to let go. But you know what? Of all the interested buyers I had, not one cared about how attached I was to it. Or how many thousands of hours I put into nurturing it. That's just life.

Your site's got a decent tld. And you have a nice Google page rank of 6. That's good. And you have a decent amount of traffic (taking you at your word as to accuracy of figures). But it doesn't add up to $1000. Certainly not $2500.

If you truly believe it has good revenue potential, then keep it for a while longer, build up the revenue, then sell it. At that point I suspect you'll be a little happier with what people are going to offer you.

It's easy to feel insulted by what someone tells you your site is worth. Especially when you pour your heart into it. I know from experience. So don't take it to heart. Just understand the process and you'll be better equipped to do what it takes to maximize your selling price.

Please don't think I'm slamming you and your site. I'm just trying to help you with some friendly advice.

Good luck.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

dmitler

You have a nice clean looking site with a decent PageRank. You can probably earn more from it than you do right now & get a much better value by keeping it than selling for $1000 or so. How many pages of content does the site have?

Vito pretty much says it all in his post. He's spot on in my opinion - hopefully you will take what he's written positively and not feel too disapointed.

Hold on to it is my advice.
    Andrew McMaster
    http://www.FindMyHosting.com
    Compare Prices, Consumer Reviews, Help, Guides and More.

Hmm...interesting, you raise some good points vito and NovaW.

As to why I'm interested in selling it - it's a lot of work maintaining the entire backend by myself. I'd still like to work on content, but not on maintaining the backend, interfaces, layouts, etc.