Thread: mac laptops

mac laptops

Are mac laptops any good?

Good looking? Yes.

The g4 titaniums are very fast and have the best graphics, i wouldnt trade mine for 2 pc laptops

I am now officially a disgrunted Mac user.
    Shyne, mac laptops are wonderful: fast, sexy and friendly.
    But Apple has decided that all the poor losers who 'beta-tested' OS X for them (basically by buying it) will have to pay for a brand new OS when then finally release a decent version.
    That and their policy of silencing all independant mac-related web sites should be taken in account when buying Apple.

And believe me I am not anti-Apple whatsoever. I have silently bent over each time they asked me to for the last 15 years...
    http://www.voilaweb.com - the Social Internet Toolbox.

I love MAC laptops... especially the ibook.

and mandrake can be installed

Experienced OpenStack Admin For Hire
    regular as admin0 on freenode IRC on #openstack and #openstack-ansible channels

Originally posted by admin0
    I love MAC laptops... especially the ibook.
    Didn't those wanna-be makeup cases used to melt after leaving them on for a little while?

They're great. I love 'em. I've got two, and will soon be buying a third one (faster, sexier lighter). PC's are ok, I use several of them, also, but I prefer my Macs!

Didn't those wanna-be makeup cases used to melt after leaving them on for a little while?
    No.

I love it when PC bigots try to bash the Mac. They always get it dead wrong.

I own a Dell Latitude. If I use it on my lap, it gets so hot it will actually burn me.

With a Titanium G4 on my lap, it never even heats up.

The battery on my Dell manages to go about an hour and a half in power conservation mode. I bought another battery just to see if it was the battery or the technology. Yup. 90 minutes, max.

My Mac goes 4-5 hours on one charge depending on how heavy I use the drives. Sweet.

Apple actually engineers their computers - unlike most PC makers. There are some exceptions, but most of them are simply cobbled together from off the shelf parts and look just like every other PC. Apple is the one who always innovates - and then gets copied of course.

-t

I'm thinking of buying an Apple laptop after I get tired of my current mac.

Originally posted by cyansmoker
    I am now officially a disgrunted Mac user.
    Shyne, mac laptops are wonderful: fast, sexy and friendly.
    But Apple has decided that all the poor losers who 'beta-tested' OS X for them (basically by buying it) will have to pay for a brand new OS when then finally release a decent version.
    That and their policy of silencing all independant mac-related web sites should be taken in account when buying Apple.

And believe me I am not anti-Apple whatsoever. I have silently bent over each time they asked me to for the last 15 years...
    I was initially upset (only because of the coupons I got that I can't use), but everybody's whining got real old; real quick. Nobody is forcing you to buy it afterall. Spend a few minutes looking over the features listed on http://www.apple.com/macosx . The more people complain about the upgrade price, the more I can't wait for Jaguar to arrive.

I read a sig the other day that read something to the effect of: "Steve may bend you over every now and then, but it's better than being bent over by Bill everyday."

Originally posted by thewitt
    I love it when PC bigots try to bash the Mac. They always get it dead wrong.
    Who's bashing Mac? I simply asked a question because I had heard from the grapevine that Apple didn't put fans or something in them and they would begin to melt. And you have to admit, their fruity-colored casings make them look like make-up cases.

their fruity-colored casings make them look like make-up cases.
    Titanium is not fruity looking.

I have both an old iBook (toilet bowl) and a new TiBook - they're both awsome! I get 7 hours of DVD playback with the TiBook - the screen is simply amazing!

-neil
    neil MCITP, VCP

macs look funny =/

Originally posted by VoxKeysGtr

Titanium is not fruity looking.
    This is though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fruity.jpg  

That's not fruity, it's the UT version.

Originally posted by vipe
    I'm thinking of buying an Apple laptop after I get tired of my current mac.

I was initially upset (only because of the coupons I got that I can't use), but everybody's whining got real old; real quick. Nobody is forcing you to buy it afterall. Spend a few minutes looking over the features listed on http://www.apple.com/macosx . The more people complain about the upgrade price, the more I can't wait for Jaguar to arrive.
    You're damn right, nobody is forcing me.
    I can go on and work with my unreasonably poorly multitasked user interface and the wheel or death forever or pay $129 to feel the relief of a decent UI.
    Yes, I am whining. I look at the feature list and most features are already here in my current OS X...only now they'll work correctly. I'll basically have to pay to get the final release after paying for two betas (10 and 10.1).
    So, I'm whining but I know that in the end I'll end up paying for 10.2...because I love my Mac, I love its hardware, I love its software; it's just Apple's attitude that I cannot stand anymore.

Originally posted by vipe
    I read a sig the other day that read something to the effect of: "Steve may bend you over every now and then, but it's better than being bent over by Bill everyday."
    Oh well, you're right on the money here...
    http://www.voilaweb.com - the Social Internet Toolbox.

If you like a cross between Apple and PC, try VAIO by sony. They looks great and very unlike normal notebooks, even their PC kick arse! They have a 16.1" (screen) notebook
    http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/PCOM/PCG-GRX81G/

"It's a SONY!"

[buy it from Japan, the US, Australian and European models kinda sux]

I love my iBook (a new one, not a clamshell).
    Colin

Originally posted by tn3
    They have a 16.1" (screen) notebook
    http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/PCOM/PCG-GRX81G/
    Kickass!

Originally posted by mindboggle

Who's bashing Mac? I simply asked a question because I had heard from the grapevine that Apple didn't put fans or something in them and they would begin to melt. And you have to admit, their fruity-colored casings make them look like make-up cases.
    Again, bashing over heresay - typical PC tactic "Don't the cases melt? Don't the colors fade? Don't the cases crack? Aren't the CDs you guys burn only usable on other Macs? You can't even run Microsoft Office, right?" I've read all of these "questions" targetting at Mac users from PC users who think that Windows is just like Mac OS only it runs on Intel hardware.

Fruity colored cases? Well I'm not sure who decided that computer cases had to be black, but my kids love the colors in the iBook cases and were immediately interested in new computers - and vendors like Compaq were again quick to copy when Apple introduced colorful computer cases. Many people have no wilpower when it comes to their kids. Marketting one class of laptop computer directly towards higher income highschool and college kids was brilliant.

There was always the conservative G3 and then the Titanium G4 powerbooks to go after the business market.

-t
    Last edited by thewitt; 07-28-2002 at 09:26 AM.

Again, bashing over heresay - typical PC tactic "Don't the cases melt? Don't the colors fade? Don't the cases crack? Aren't the CDs you guys burn only usable on other Macs? You can't even run Microsoft Office, right?" I've read all of these "questions" targetting at Mac users from PC users who think that Windows is just like Mac OS only it runs on Intel hardware.
    Since when is asking a question considered "bashing"? You could have simply answered the question, but you insited on getting defensive and accusing me of being anti-mac. I'm not pro-mac and I'm not anti-mac because I have bearly used Macs in my life.

LOL, I can only imagine the responses people who are interested in buying their first Mac get:
    Customer: "Will Microsoft Office work with a Mac?"
    Mac Sales: "MAC HATER!"

Fruity colored cases? Well I'm not sure who decided that computer cases had to be black, but my kids love the colors in the iBook cases and were immediately interested in new computers - and vendors like Compaq were again quick to copy when Apple introduced colorful computer cases. Many people have no wilpower when it comes to their kids. Marketting one class of laptop computer directly towards higher income highschool and college kids was brilliant.
    Personally, I like the color black for a computer (looks high-tech). I call them fruity because they are named after fruits (like apple, strawberry, etc), not to be degrading. The marketing technique may have been a good idea, but if I had a kid who wanted a computer, I would look at performance, not color and the ibook and imac would be at the bottom of my list.

Since when is asking a question considered "bashing"?
    It's not just asking the question, it's how you ask it.

Colin

Well they do look like make-up cases!!!

I see your point there, but I actually did want to know if they used to melt.

Ohh too late, you lost this bargain http://www.amblestreet.co.uk/foris/microcom_aamac.asp
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I see your point there, but I actually did want to know if they used to melt.
    Nice two-step, but that's not what you were doing at all. You were not asking questions, you were insinuating untruths.

Bashing is bashing, no matter how you try to paint it after the fact.

By the way, my current Dell Latitude has been back to Dell four times now. Power supply failure, fan failure (without which it does get so hot it will melt), hinge on the display failure and most recently, inability to charge the battery. I've never owned a more unreliable computer.

My TiG4 runs like a fine tuned sportscar.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

I'm also considering a mac laptop. Probably an ibook, as the tibook is a bit over my budget. How's the performance of the G3 in the ibook?

Nice two-step, but that's not what you were doing at all. You were not asking questions, you were insinuating untruths.

Ok Mr. Witty, I guess you kind of answered my question, finally. And the question mark does constitue a question, does it not?

Bashing is bashing, no matter how you try to paint it after the fact.

Ok, the iBooks are ugly, that's all I was "bashing". Then again, so is the Jeep Liberty. I never said that Macs suck, now did I?

By the way, my current Dell Latitude has been back to Dell four times now. Power supply failure, fan failure (without which it does get so hot it will melt), hinge on the display failure and most recently, inability to charge the battery. I've never owned a more unreliable computer.

Sorry to hear that, I guessed you lucked out. Now who's bashing? You just made a complete hypocrite out of yourself.

My TiG4 runs like a fine tuned sportscar.

Glad to hear it! Can you point in the direction of a web site that could provide more information about it? I've never heard of it and I would like to see its specifications, I may be interested in it.

Glad to hear it! Can you point in the direction of a web site that could provide more information about it? I've never heard of it and I would like to see its specifications, I may be interested in it.
    Uh, apple.com

Originally posted by devon

Uh, apple.com
    Well, I meant review sites that would have an impartial take on things.

There's no such thing, especially involving a Mac . You could read a review at PC World: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...d,42143,00.asp
    It's not incredibly accurate, but hey...

Also, look at other PC magazines, they'll generally do a thing or two on Macs...
    Originally posted by Nadav
    I'm also considering a mac laptop. Probably an ibook, as the tibook is a bit over my budget. How's the performance of the G3 in the ibook?
    It ain't blazzin fast, but it does what it needs to do (I have a 600 MHz G3 w/ 256 mb ram).
    Colin

Apple.com

JK, there mindboggle.

Actually, ZDnet just did a a series of reports on Mac. Do a search there. They have lots of in-depth reviews and other useful info.

Actually, I bash computers I own all the time. I don't bash computers I don't own or have not extensively used however. Therein lies the difference .

-t

Actually, I bash computers I own all the time.
    Maybe that's why they don't work.

Tibooks and iBooks are fantastic laptops. I do have a Tibook myself besides my Tosh Satellite. Although it is beautiful and OSX is really easy to use - it has a few issues:

- The paint easly peels off and it scraches easily. So you will have to really baby it if you want to keep it in pristine condition

- Sorry guys but the Tibooks are not as fast as a PC laptops especially if you run OSX (this will probably be fixed with Jagwire). OSX GUI gets really sluggish when you do simple stuff like resize windows or run applications like Flash. As a video editing mag once said "MHZ does not matter but GHZ does."

- I have checked an noticed that when you play DVDs in XP, it only uses 10% to 15% of your computing resources comapired to my friends 800MHZ Tibook which uses 30% to 40%. Not a very usesful observation but still shows that at the moment XP seem to be more efficent then OSX, at least until Jagwire gets into the picture

Other then that I have always found OSX/9 easier to use then XP and fast enough to do most of your design work (if you are into that). Oh btw, Photoshop runs great on OSX.

Originally posted by Adryanv
    Sorry guys but the Tibooks are not as fast as a PC laptops especially if you run OSX (this will probably be fixed with Jagwire). OSX GUI gets really sluggish when you do simple stuff like resize windows or run applications like Flash. As a video editing mag once said "MHZ does not matter but GHZ does."
    Interesting. This is not my experience at all. I find my OS X box to be much "snappier" than my Dell.

-t

My humble suggestion would be the best place to ask for fairly objective laptop/hardware info would be those dual PC/Mac boards on the net so that you get both sides of the argument. One good place I could think off would be the messageboards on Arstechnica . They have a Mac section there for those specific Mac questions and a section called the Battlefront where PC and Mac users debate on their relegion (not for the weak of heart though ).

If you do a search you could probably find info like speed comparisons, reviews and other stuff.
    Last edited by Adryanv; 07-30-2002 at 05:38 AM.