MySQL Limitation

Hi All;

I am planning to provided a MySQL service for my hosting client, but I want to put some constraint for the usage, like DB size, MySQL connection. Do anyone have idea for these?

Thank you.

Eric

For mysql user connection limitation you may set the following parameter in the my.cnf file.

max_connections
    max_user_connections

For the resource usage parameters you have to go through the other parameters such as key_buffer, read_buffer, write_buffer etc.
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

There's no clean way to implement quota support for MySQL. Basically, you can enforce a hard quota, but if they exceed it, it will probably corrupt the database.

Plan on monitoring the size of the database, warn them if they exceed, and bill an overage charge if they don't roll back.

The buffer settings david is referring to are not applicable to your goals.

The best bet is to put MySQL on a server already dedicated to this client, or that you're going to share amongst many clients, and hope that no one user overwhelms the db... if the server starts running slow, do a 'show processlist', look for the user account that shows up most often on lines that don't say "Sleeping", and tell that user they need to start giving you more money, and/or get a dedicated db server (or move mysql to their own dedicated server).

Also, make sure you do tuning of mysql, which does involve the 'key_buffer' and similar, but involves increasing them to improve mysql performance overall.