* whole system backup

hi
    I just spent over 10 hours on my node configuration (debian etch). I have installed a lot of stuff, made raid1 array, control panel, some tools, rules etc etc etc.

I dont want to see that some day something crash - and I will must start over with everything.

What you guys suggest as backup method, maybe some how-to backup WHOLE system with all files, raid configuration etc.

I dont need incremental backups at all - I just want to save/backup current system, and maybe restore if something bad would happen.
    thanks
    DC Technician, Czech Republic, Europe, Earth, Solar System.

If you just want a one-time backup of all your files then just tar up the files and save the tar file on a remote server. However, if you would like automatic incremental backups you can set that up using either rsync or rdiff-backup and let the programs do the work.

How can I pack all files, whole system? and raid array configs?
    DC Technician, Czech Republic, Europe, Earth, Solar System.

You may backup the important configuration files and partitions such as /home, mysql directory etc.
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

Use: Systemimager, r1soft's backup tool, or Acronis (which I believe works with ext3 partitions).

You may need something that can restore to a different configuration - eg. if your server gets pinched, you won't buy the exact same hardware configuration. A google for 'bare metal backup' should get you some more links.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.

I would recommend checking out www.bqinternet.com. Use them for rsync, pretty much the simplest and fastest way to do a full remote backup.

Someone is going to say...Wait that's not fastest!

I mean remotely. You could always buy storage space at your datacenter or add additional drives and do local backups but I prefer remote DC backups.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

Using plain rsync is not what mainvps wants. How do you restore a rsync backup? Firstly you have to install an OS that has rsync, then you have to ensure your partitions are recreated exactly as you had them before, etc. *Then* you can restore your rsync image back onto the server. Its a lot of hassle and not worth it if you want a single new-HDD restore in as short a time, and as little hassle as possible.

This is why I recommended Systemimager - it uses rsync to save the images (and does incrementals for when you change things and want to update) but will restore from a floppy (or CD, or PXE). It will also restore your image onto a different hardware configuration.

An alternative is the prebuilt VMWare backup utility - from this thread
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.