Scotland are putting members of the public in danger

In Scotland there are now what i think they call "wardens" walking about the street doing the job of what police officers should be doing but they cannot arrest people..

So again there putting members of the public on the bad streets of Scotland to tell very violent teenagers to behave, it's just a matter of time before one of these people get attacked and they don't get paid for this and plus they are old men..

If they are going to keep on doing this they HAVE TO get young men around 20 years old to patrol the street because they are the only people that teenagers listen to, they don't listen to old men that don't have any kind of authority..

This is terrible and it's the poloce that are mento do this job, don't forget i am a radio scanner so i know exactly what goes on and it's nasty.

http://scotlandtoday.scottishtv.co.u...-18-7-51.shtml
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

So Rotifer what do you have to say about this?, do you think this is a good thing, i don't think it is.

Once again, Another wierd post by patter. But relating back to the topic I think that is dumb that they have Wardens at all. They should just hire more police.

Do the wardens have radios? I suppose if they have some way to contact the police it might not be a bad idea, this is the type of thing that old men love to do. Of course, you are right, the first time one of them is hurt there will be quite a ruckus.

But Rotifer by the time they get on there radio they will be dead by thugs..
    It takes a few hours for the police to come to your assistance so why would they hurry up for other members of the public.
    It's a disgrace.

They would also be given powers to issue fixed penalty notices and deal with minor traffic offences.
    Ah, that sounds a little scary .... I didn't know that they would have that much power. Something like this wouldn't fly in the U.S.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/england/1857346.stm
    I thought they were more like these dorks:
    http://www.guardianangels.org

LOL guardian angels, i remember the guy in trigger happy went onto a subway train and said "don't worry you are under the protection of the guardian angels", HA.

And this might sound silly but red jackets don't go down well with teenagers..

Have to be careful about how we approach this..

Who is Mr. Mcnaulty?

The story is my strange uncle used to say he will be asking my teacher mrs mcnaulty how i have been behaving at school..

I never had a teacher called Mrs mcnaulty the mans just weird..

Maybe he would make a good warden?

I well he's tall.He would go up to some tearaway and say "alright wee sacks" and get his head kicked in ..

I think a good warden would be a talker, someone who could talk to the kids and, maybe, find them some smack when they run low.

Well yes yes rotifer, that's a very good point.

Maybe the solution would be to keep all of the kids high, put it in the water or something. Criminalizing drug offenses certainly doesn't seem to have worked.

LOL
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

That's odd.
    Ned, I get the feeling, reading the article, that these people ARE paid.
    But what kind of training do they get? It none at all, it sounds weird to empower them or even put them in the streets.

You are perfectly right about the age thing, although I couldn't find any reference to it in the article. In France, for instance, they have these young fellas -20 ish or less- who are employed by local councils to be a link between the youngsters and police.
    http://www.voilaweb.com - the Social Internet Toolbox.

In Japan for the world cup, they had community warden type people to stop looting by the English fans (is if we would!). Most of them were >70, and it emerged that some had been involved in war crimes during WWII.

In France, for instance, they have these young fellas -20 ish or less- who are employed by local councils to be a link between the youngsters and police.
    Dealing with problems like this seems to be most successful when you have people who are able to developer a rapport with the folks on the street. This is where most cops fail (not entirely their fault). A more effective solution, I think, would be to pump this money into programs. Internet and computer resource cafés, nontraditional sports (cycling, climbing, sailboarding), etc. My company recently developed a fully functional phpBB2 bulletin board to a local school for at-risk teens .. they love it.

No they aren't paid and it would be a waits of money anyway because it just isn't going to work.Yep i heard crime in France is going up, sad that but we know who to blame.
    "it sounds weird to empower them or even put them in the streets", yep that's what i'm saying though, these people don't have any power and that's the reason it isn't going to work.
    It has to come down to kids being decent and i don't know one decent kid because that's the only reason kids would pay attention..
    I'm also worried about trams coming to Edinburgh, the trams aren't built yet and i only hope they have the sense to put some good security in them because bus drivers are getting attacked all the time and so are loyal citizens getting attacked just coming back from work..
    I was on a bus not so long ago and i was going through a real bad area and these kids jumped on without paying and the drivers saw them andf done nothing about it because it's not worth it and they sat beside me and they where actually going to steal a motorbike and this what at 9AM and not long after school started because they got on just beside there school..

I had a motorbike not long ago and i just got rid of it because it's not worth having one because everyone trys to steal it and you can't go out on it without getting stopped..

Originally posted by cyansmoker
    That's odd.
    Ned, I get the feeling, reading the article, that these people ARE paid.
    But what kind of training do they get? It none at all, it sounds weird to empower them or even put them in the streets.

You are perfectly right about the age thing, although I couldn't find any reference to it in the article. In France, for instance, they have these young fellas -20 ish or less- who are employed by local councils to be a link between the youngsters and police.
    Yep you get a young police officer and send him to a school in his uniform all kids say "ahhh he's a bloody pig" and send him to a school with addidas clothes on and make sure everyone knows he's a policeman everyone says to him "i want a game of football"..

You know.