Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Mediatemple or Dot5hosting

OK, im looking at www.mediatemple.net or dot5hosting.com for hosting. Any comments on either? Dot5 has been pretty quick with responses to my e-mails, even IM's. Wondering if there's any current or past clients of either that could let me know how the hosting & customer service is. THANKS!

Re: Mediatemple or Dot5hosting

Originally posted by DivaInJeanz
    OK, im looking at www.mediatemple.net or dot5hosting.com for hosting. Any comments on either? Dot5 has been pretty quick with responses to my e-mails, even IM's. Wondering if there's any current or past clients of either that could let me know how the hosting & customer service is. THANKS!
    I'd go with dot5, Chris and Mark both sound like nice guys...

Yes, i've e-mailed and IM'd with Chris & Mark..and both were very nice and prompt with the reply. Im leaning more towards dot5hosting.

Chris is nicer than Mark lol!
    dot5hosting.com
    chris@dot5hosting.com
    "We look after our customers, or someone else will"

Originally posted by puggy106
    Chris is nicer than Mark lol!
    Modest too, just ask him

lol
    dot5hosting.com
    chris@dot5hosting.com
    "We look after our customers, or someone else will"

lol well, both have been nice now if i can just get my darn ip with my custom package! hahaha

by the way...i sent mediatemple.net an e-mail ..one yesterday..no response..and another on wed..and nothing still. seems like dot5 for me.

MediaTemple is the "trendy" host. Most big design sites are hosted by them (2advanced, Design is Kinky, Surfstation.lu etc.)
    Lead Designer @ SingleHop

yes "trendy" is the word. I actually spoke too soon about them. I was seriously feeling hesistant about going to them for hosting, from the lack of response to e-mails. BUT today, i recieved an e-mail, and they were very helpful.

We have no experience with Dot5, so we can't help you much there..

..but we do have an account with MediaTemple, and they are wonderful. Very professional, very helpful.

I'd go with dot5, they are super friendly and helpfull
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

These threads kill me. Not a single reply about dot5 is from someone who actually hosted with them. Its all "they are nice guys", "they are friendly", etc... Of course they are. They are trying to make sales.

Look, if you want to host with an established host who has been in business a while, go with Mediatemple. If you don't mind trying a new host, then I am sure Dot5 is great. But the two cannot really be compared. They look to service two separate markets.

Its about time someone said what Umbillycord just said, peeps stop replying with they are nice etc.. just to up your post count.

LOL wow, didn't mean to get people so touchy about the subject. Im just not too familiar with hosting, this is my first time trying to find a host. I'm simply wondering about information on both..THATS ALL. the only reason i stated that they were nice people is because they are. Both Dot5 and Mediatemple have been helpful in answering my questions. True, they are trying to make sales..but I'd be happy knowing I was going to spend money on a host that was not only helpful, with good services,etc..but was nice about his job. Anyhow..thank you for your replies..im learning about the "hosting world" lol Have a great day!

Originally posted by DivaInJeanz
    LOL wow, didn't mean to get people so touchy about the subject. Im just not too familiar with hosting, this is my first time trying to find a host. I'm simply wondering about information on both..THATS ALL. the only reason i stated that they were nice people is because they are. Both Dot5 and Mediatemple have been helpful in answering my questions. True, they are trying to make sales..but I'd be happy knowing I was going to spend money on a host that was not only helpful, with good services,etc..but was nice about his job. Anyhow..thank you for your replies..im learning about the "hosting world" lol Have a great day!
    It happens..

Originally posted by edude
    Its about time someone said what Umbillycord just said, peeps stop replying with they are nice etc.. just to up your post count.
    Didn't you do this just to up your post count?

MediaTemple's prices are extremely expensive. You can get the same services and reliability somewhere else for much cheaper. Go with dot5.

Originally posted by Ankit
    MediaTemple's prices are extremely expensive. You can get the same services and reliability somewhere else for much cheaper. Go with dot5.
    Really? What are you basing this off of? Your price scale? So I guess anyone that charges more then what you think is fair, that it must be "extremely expensive"?

If 9 good hosts charge 10 bucks for something, and 1 good host charges 16 dollars for the same thing, I would think that they're more expensive.

Originally posted by Ankit
    If 9 good hosts charge 10 bucks for something, and 1 good host charges 16 dollars for the same thing, I would think that they're more expensive.
    Name 9 good host under $10.00. Make sure you have hosted with them to verify this. Also, let me know if they have been around longer then a year. Once you do this I will name you twice as many host over $10.00 and that have been around for more then 3 years! And I have hosted with many of them.

Originally posted by UmBillyCord
    Name 9 good host under $10.00. Make sure you have hosted with them to verify this. Also, let me know if they have been around longer then a year.
    It never ceases to amaze me that longevity is almost never a criterion for a "good host" around here. As Joni Mitchell once sang, "I've seen some hot, hot blazes come down in smoke and ash."

It was an example, and I didn't say UNDER 10 dollars

I can name 3 hosts of mine off of my head that are equally as good, but cheaper: HostRocket, DomiNET and Myacen. There's other hosts I have, but they don't qualify your "criteria" for a good host. I never knew it was necessary for a host to be around for a certain amount of time in order to be good . There's many hosts that are truly amazing and much cheaper than MediaTemple. I'm not saying that MediaTemple is a bad host, after all if they're offering their product at that price the product must be superb.

No offense, but once you start coming here over the years you will see host drop like flies. Even when they were highly recommended to start. I stand by my statement that a track record is better then a possible fly-by-night. Especially with all these Go-Go Gadget host being produced now days.

Also, HR is not under $10 unless you pay for 2 years! Their monthly prices are right in line with MT.

I think you were quick to make a statement that something is "extremely expensive". Expensie and value are relative.

Take care.

Admittedly you're more of a veteran over here and you have more experience about hosting than me. However, all hosts have to start somewhere, and many brand new hosts are releasing products that are easily as reliable and good as established hosts. Also, admittedly a host that has had a long life is probably doing something right, but it's not the ultimate criterion.

Also, I was referring to MediaTemple being extremely expensive compared to Dot5, the alternative host that the thread starter posted. According to many people on this forum, Dot5 is an extremely good company, and I don't think I've heard anything negative about them (not that I'm the authority on these types of things). If you can get an excellent host like Dot5 and save some money on it, why not do it?

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast