99.5% Uptime Guarantee

What does it really mean... I just jumped onto a new host it was up all yesterday i check now and its down... checked email no notification of downtime.
    Last edited by deathlord; 07-25-2002 at 09:53 PM.
    DeathLorD
    Aimlayer6918

And where do they come up with these numbers?

Someone calculated some numbers quite a while ago, and came up with the following uptime percentage vs downtime allowed table:

99.9% = 16.8 minutes
    99.5% = 3 hours, 24 minutes
    99.1% = 6 hours, 31.2 minutes
    98.9% = 7 hours, 4.8 minutes
    98.5% = 10 hours, 12 minutes

Lats...

thanks lat's. Just to say i dont mind downtime everyone has to go down for one reason or another every once in a while. I would just like to be informed considering im a paying customer.
    DeathLorD
    Aimlayer6918

For sure.

Perhaps you could suggest to your host to setup an info page offsite, just to let customers know what's going on in cases of downtime.

Lats...
    Lats...

Originally posted by clio
    And where do they come up with these numbers?
    Here's an excellent article on this very subject:

http://www.codesta.com/knowledge/man...ties/index.jsp

-Bob

thanks for the article tmx im reading it now checking to see if my site plans on coming back.... been about 45 min now that i know of.
    DeathLorD
    Aimlayer6918

Well funny that this has been mentioned. I offer only 99.73 on a monthly basis. that's the best I can do. I have redundancy within the system but you can not get past 99.73 unless you run three server cluster.

I don't know how some of these guys can offer 99.90, I did the numbers once and that would mean that they are running 5 or 6 server clusters or ( which I think ) they are talking about on a yearly basis.

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

yeah it does get intrusting.. also very annoying... i wouldnt be comaplaining if i was notified... they could go down for 48 hrs i wouldnt mind as long as its not for a stupid reason.
    DeathLorD
    Aimlayer6918

deathlord: are you hosted with us? We were in the process of compiling a more stable Linux kernel on the server I believe you're on -- ran in to some complications. Everything's running smoothly now. If you ever have any concerns about downtime or anything else, please feel free to contact me directly at jay@frontdrive.com
    Jay » jay@frontdrive.com • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

yeah jay the site i was complaining about was under you im glad you browse the forums. I sent in a ticket on the help desk. Thanks everything is back up and smooth.
    DeathLorD
    Aimlayer6918