GoDaddy reset all files to 705 (?!)

I was changing some DNS settings with GoDaddy and all files and folders were reset to permission 705.

that probably caused a problem that my websites doesn't recognize the index page automatically.

try visiting:

wewish.org/
    webdirectory.co.il/
    bewiseforums.com/

and tell me what u get.

i get a:

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    How do i:

1) change all files back to the default chmod: 644 isn't it?
    2) make my default page as index ... ?

Tnx in advance!

I get the normal webpage on all three sites. You could use PHP to CHMOD the files back to 644 for normal files and 755 for folders.

http://nl3.php.net/manual/en/function.chmod.php
    hi there!

wewish.org doesn't work for me, although I don't get an Error 404, a Error 403 of no permissions to view the index page. EDIT: Fine for me too, now.
    webdirectory.co.il works.
    bewiseforums.com works.

Generally files should be CHMODed to 644 or 664, and folders to 775 or 755. You use a FTP (File Transfer Protocol) application like FileZilla and right click one or a selection of folders or files and click Properties/CHMOD and change the value to 664 (for folders) or 775 or 755 (for files).

if i set the main folder for 755 then all sub folders would change as well to 755?

also i have GoDaddy hosting, it should be 644 and 755 i think, correct?

Hi SignOffers,

It will only change that particular folder only, and not the sub-folders and the files which reside in them to that same CHMOD.

I'm not sure what value of CHMOD will be accepted by GoDaddy, but you could certainly try either 644 or 664 for files and 775 or 755 for folders, and see if it affects if you can view files/folder directories.

Hi Signoffers:

I recently had Godaddy. They run their PHP as cgi so the files all need to be set to 644 and folders to 755. If you set either to anything higher than this you will have problems. For example, if you set a file to 775.... the server will not allow the file to be executed. All folders (including subfolders) need to be 755.

I really like hosts that run php as cgi though... better security.

Matt

On a side note, I also have in the past had just a few files that suddenly seemed to change their permissions... I don't know why.

7. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com