hosting on a DSL line, good Idea?

I have an opportunity get a DSL line to run a server.

This is the specs;

2.55 down
    640k up

11 gigs a month transfer and $10 bucks a gig therafter.
    16 static IP's with the ability to buy more.

$80 a month Canadian. US around $45-50ish

Need to run Windows on the server asp, Sql, mainly for e-commerce. Will have a hopped up server.

But my question is do I really need a fractional T1 line or is a DSL line good enough if I am doing under 10 gigs a month?

Oh and is this a good deal

dsl tends to be more stable than say cable, but really colo or something along those lines might be better. when you run local like that you have worries about power and availablility. if you colo someplace like affordable colo, you can do a server with 10gb of b/w with 50 or so a month US, and u will have your server in an actual DC on a stable connections.

IP Public?

Do they give you a public IP, because if not, I think they change your ip maybe 3 days or something, check that please.

Re: IP Public?

Originally posted by Mar-y-Sol
    Do they give you a public IP, because if not, I think they change your ip maybe 3 days or something, check that please.
    16 static IP's with the ability to buy more.
    Voiding warranties is what I do best.

Cool

Still learning, Know I figured it out
    Thanks

BAD Idea

When I was first getting started I dealt with someone who was hosting on a 1.5mbit SDSL line. It was very flaky and there was a bit of downtime every month.

You're MUCH better off doing a colo at a place that uses expensive lines (read: priority), backup generators, etc.

Plus, bandwidth won't cost you $10/gig in most cases.

If I found out a hosting company was using a 640k dsl line to host me out of their basement, i'd be more than upset.

The question you are asking is similar to this one

"Is it good to race my car in a car race?"

Well, if you have a Pinto, no. If you have an Indy car, yes. DSL is the same.

I would feel comfortable hosting all our sites off our DSL. It's synchronous and rock solid. I've seen it's performance over the past year. Maybe 5 minutes of downtime. We get a full 1.1Mbps up and down. 24/7. It 's great.

Is your DSL the same? I have no idea. 640 sounds a little low capacity. Depends on the types of sites you host. Also, it sounds like you don't currently have the line, so you have no idea what the reliability of it is.

Oh, I just noticed this part "Need to run Windows on the server asp, Sql, mainly for e-commerce.".

Don't run it off DSL of unknown reliability and don't be cheap if you plan on making money from this server.

2.55 down
    640k up
    it's a bad Idea... but more importantly.. the 2.55 down is nice, but it's not what matters. Ultimately you're sending data TO the internet - therefore you're actually using the 640.

-neil
    neil MCITP, VCP

ya, I am going to check around for maybe colo or dedicated some more but getting a windows box that is dedicated is tough if you have a bit of a budget- I have been checking reliability and well see for your self, I am in the mount royal area.
    http://www.nucleus.com/sysnews.html

I think I was just liking the idea and price of having my own box.