hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Exchange hosting or something else?
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Exchange hosting or something else?

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Exchange hosting or something else?

I've seen various companies offering Microsoft Exchange hosting but I'm not sure if this is what I need to go with or not. Let me explain what I'm wanting to do and maybe someone can give me a yay or nay on it. I have a desktop and a laptop running Outlook that I would like to be able to sync together with a web-based server. I also have a Treo 750 cell phone that I want to have my calendar and tasks synced as well with the web-based server.

For example: I add an appointment on my desktop computer and it syncs with the web server. When the web server gets it, it syncs to my cell phone via ActiveSync. Right now I'm using the free version of Mail2Web which doesn't support Outlook syncing. (I have to manually enter the data on the website interface and then it will sync via Activesync to my phone.) They do have a paid version starting at $11.95/mo that will supposedly do what I'm wanting to do with Outlook, but I'm not sure if this is overkill for what I need or not. Again I don't really need to sync email, just my calendar and tasks.

So do I need a full blown exchange hosting provider or is there some software (other than Exchange) that I can install on my Windows VPS that will do what I'm looking to do? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Guru

The platform that will work best for syncing on the windows mobile platform is Exchange. It will work and it will work well. Exchange on the Windows Mobile platform is a beautiful thing and I can pretty much guarantee that if you got it, you would love the functionality you get.

However, SmarterMail offers an application you can install on your 750 that will sync contacts, calendars and tasks. It's not a real time sync like ActiveSync though. This functionality is in the Enterprise edition of SmarterMail. However, SmarterTools also puts out a free version of SmarterMail which contains all the functionality of the Enterprise version but is limited to one domain and ten users. Going on what you said, that should meet your needs if cost is an issue.

www.activehost.com sales@activehost.com 1-518-372-2842

Old
Junior Guru

Zimbra will do all of the above. I have used it for a long time and it works great.

Scalix is also a alternative.

SSL Certificates @ RunSSL

SSL Certificate Wiki - Needs your help.

Sponsored Links
Old

Quote:
SmarterMail offers an application you can install on your 750 that will sync contacts, calendars and tasks. It's not a real time sync like ActiveSync though. This functionality is in the Enterprise edition of SmarterMail. However, SmarterTools also puts out a free version of SmarterMail which contains all the functionality of the Enterprise version but is limited to one domain and ten users. Going on what you said, that should meet your needs if cost is an issue.
The free version doesn't appear to have the calendar/tasks nor give you access to the Sync utility.
Quote:
Zimbra will do all of the above. I have used it for a long time and it works great.
We use the open source version of Zimbra at work. Unfortunately to get the sync capabilities you need the network version which is not free.
Quote:
Scalix is also a alternative.
This runs in linux and isn't free either.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I might have to settle for paying for one of the hosted exchange packages. Any other ideas though? Thanks for the suggestions!

Old

Well I decided to bite the bullet and order the $11.95/mo service from mail2web.com. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Just so you know, the free version does have calendars, tasks and let's you sync. It has all the functionality, just only for 1 domain and 10 users.

http://smartertools.com/Products/Sma.../Features.aspx

www.activehost.com sales@activehost.com 1-518-372-2842

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will-AH View Post
Just so you know, the free version does have calendars, tasks and let's you sync. It has all the functionality, just only for 1 domain and 10 users.

http://smartertools.com/Products/Sma.../Features.aspx
Weird, there was no link to the Sync software as it mentioned. Apparently that portion is for the Enterprise edition only...

The download link for SmarterMail Sync can be found in your SmarterMail web interface under Settings > SmarterMail Sync (Enterprise Edition Only)
http://smartertools.com/Products/Sma...rMailSync.aspx

Anywho, I've got mail2web going and it's working pretty well. Anxious to setup the desktop at work with it on Monday and have it all working seamlessly.

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Microsoft Exchange Online Outage of Over 8 Hours Frustrates Customers Web Hosting News 2014-06-25 11:23:55
SMBs Continue to Use Microsoft Exchange 2003 as April Deadline Looms Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:25:29
SherWeb Acquires Hosted Microsoft Exchange Provider Thoughtbus Web Hosting News 2013-11-04 12:12:56
Deutsche Börse Partners to Launch Cloud Resource Exchange Web Hosting News 2013-07-02 12:41:44
MachPanel 4.5 will Support Microsoft Exchange, Lync and SharePoint 2013 Tools Web Hosting News 2012-12-27 12:23:50