Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Actually I think you can scratch Davnet off that list, I'm reasonably sure they stopped their net connectivity through lack of funds and the over-riding restrictions we have in place here.

Senator Richard Alston needs to have some computer lessons I think.

*edited for typos*

It was a joke; cogent isn't available in AU...
    Signature.

I work for Froggy ISP most aussies would know them, we are in talks with several providers, PSInet, Sprint, XYZed so the market is full of providers, but no one can come in with the right pricing..

Sprint said 1c per mb..

I thought froggy went out of business? Didn't the guy that owns it pull a huge scam and go bankrupt?

Nope, Froggy was bought out by Blue JOY PTY LTD. The company i came along with, we now have over 35,000 customers

Karl Suleman was the previous owner, yes he ran a pyramid scheme.

Yes its true - Sprint are starting to move into the australian market charging around $1100 AUD for all you can eat. (1mbps)

The reason our bandwidth is so expensive (or one of) is that our land mass is so great whereas our population is very concentrated toward the coasts.

And the East coast to west coast is a very long way.

It is unlikely our bandwidth will ever be matched to that of the USA.

Unless we get ultra fast and ultra cheap satellite, or microwave or soemthing along those lines.

that would be nice i can dream right?

You guys heard of PSInet?

yep heard of them a long time ago, haven't looked at them for a while though.

cogent has bought PSInet out, so I guess Cogent is technically in Australia now afterall

Really? cogent owns psinet? WOW

Just had a meeting with them today, their pricing isn't really that good..

But they said they would get back to us..

Originally posted by edude
    I work for Froggy ISP most aussies would know them, we are in talks with several providers, PSInet, Sprint, XYZed so the market is full of providers, but no one can come in with the right pricing..

Sprint said 1c per mb..
    But you guys have dial ports - no inhouse bandwidth

Really? cogent owns psinet? WOW

Just had a meeting with them today, their pricing isn't really that good..

But they said they would get back to us..

http://www.psinet.com/transition.html

Originally posted by reseller
    cogent has bought PSInet out, so I guess Cogent is technically in Australia now afterall
    well i think they only bought PSInet America ... atleast the European ones are still operating independent.
    dunno about the australian one, though.
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Thats right, but we are working on a adsl product, with sprint being one of the overseas carriers, we just have to get our tail setup (local loop)

Originally posted by hosticle

But you guys have dial ports - no inhouse bandwidth

Thats right, but we are working on a adsl product, with sprint being one of the overseas carriers, we just have to get our tail setup (local loop)

That would still be dependant on leasing space through Telstra's phone lines though right?

One day they will upgrade my local exchange to handle ADSl connections, but then again they said one day they will install cable throughout the area I live in, then they said they were no longer installing any new cable connections, so I'm not holding my breath for ADSL. Would be nice to have though *sigh*

Nope not phone lines, but we would have to use their core switches etc.. basically we don't use much of Telstra, we will be using Broadband DSL Layer 2 technology, or hope to.

Sorry Reseller...... Hope broadband comes your way real soon...

Nope not phone lines, but we would have to use their core switches etc.. basically we don't use much of Telstra, we will be using Broadband DSL Layer 2 technology, or hope to.
    Wow so froggy really want to be a serious player huh? They will need to shake off the stigma of the former owner though. Should be interesting to watch

Ozemail have recently put their toe into the broadband bigpond...oops i mean water , not sure what will happen to them now that worldcom have gone under. Although thinking about it, someone will buy Ozemail so I guess they will just keep on growing.

Originally posted by Dotcomsnz
    Sorry Reseller...... Hope broadband comes your way real soon...
    Yeah, not holding my breath though. Full broadband set up here is far too slow. By the time they do it it will be out-dated and we'll all be jacking into the net through neural connections or something. How many GB's do you think the brain holds?

Yep, thats the hard part, the former owner left froggy with a very bad reputation.. people still refer to froggy as "gone bankrupt", "no more" etc..

Also yep, with adsl very serious since our customer base keeps requesting adsl services..

Also in Australia is narrowband

Originally posted by reseller

Wow so froggy really want to be a serious player huh? They will need to shake off the stigma of the former owner though. Should be interesting to watch

Ozemail have recently put their toe into the broadband bigpond...oops i mean water , not sure what will happen to them now that worldcom have gone under. Although thinking about it, someone will buy Ozemail so I guess they will just keep on growing.

All i know, is that bigpond is a great ISP, but they charge a hell of a lot of money for it (it's great knowing someone working for telstra, way cheaper ). Anyways if all these communication companys in the US came over to Australia with their prices, they would make some more money, even if they charged 5 times more, they would still get lots of customers. I sometimes wonder if it would be worth them rolling out all that cable though.
    Microsoft's new advertising slogan -
    "Buy a Microsoft Product, Help In The Downfall Of The Internet"

Yep nothing special about bigpond - many isp's offer the same service now for a cheaper price using Telstra's megapop setup.

We're on Netspace right now. Other than sometimes lengthy periods of downtime, they are not too bad.

AOL are starting their trials this year:

http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/918?show=replies

It will be interesting to see what their free content is like. We've only just got a free Tucows mirror recently, and not much else of offer.

Cheers

Gary

I always think of Netscape when I see Netspace.

What I'd like is for our drakonian government to wake up and realise increased competition in the ISP/broadband/control of pipes is needed, if we as a anation are going to keep up

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast