Angry In disputes, draconian ENOM OWNS YOUR DOMAIN NAMES

If you have a dispute with Enom, they lock your account and insist you to sign the following agreement before unlocking it.

"I understand in the event of a dispute processed by my credit card issuer or any type of processor, eNom Inc. will reserve the right to suspend access to any and all accounts I have, and that all right, title, interest in, and use of any domain names and/or services connected shall be assumed by eNom Inc at their discretion."

If you sign it, you are giving them the right to own ALL your domain names in the event of any dispute, regardless of whether it is valid or invalid. Their Risk Management Department refuses to talk to anyone by phone. Its a very draconian posture and vibration:

When asked to name the party that had initiated the dispute, they would not respond.

Please be careful, Enom is clearly behaving in an unfair and unethical manner. It would not be safe to have your domain names with them. It would be wiser to move them elsewhere or to have all your clients open an account of their own with their domain names.

Consider, if you have one dispute, Enom will freeze your account and refuse to open it again unless you sign away ownership with the following wording.

But are any other registrars different? I think that's the important question.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

The others do not ask you to sign away title to all your domain names.

Uh, you sure about that? Have you read the Terms of Service to which you agree every time you register a domain? It may not be as sweeping as eNom's (in that they specify all of your domains and accounts) but it at least affects the domain(s) and account(s) involved in the chargeback(s).

Time to contact ICANN...

What can ICANN do in this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Consumer Buddy View Post
    What can ICANN do in this situation?
    For the most part, little. In this topic, nothing.

As Domainitor stated, some of you folks might want to read the registrar's registration agreements we all agree to when you register, renew and/or transfer a domain name to them. Pay close attention and you'll notice none of them state you own the domain name in any way at all. (except Gandi's, I think, but that's their choice...)

If anything, their contracts put them in a stronger position. However, that doesn't mean they won't always not help you out, especially if you ask nicely.

If you don't make payments on your car, or your check bounces, you can bet the repo man will be at your door.

If you are a reseller you can fund your eNom account with cash (points) and there won't be any credit card issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Domainer View Post
    If you don't make payments on your car, or your check bounces, you can bet the repo man will be at your door.

If you are a reseller you can fund your eNom account with cash (points) and there won't be any credit card issues.
    The repo man doesn't make you sign a contract first that allows them to take ownership of you house, business and any other possession.

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

Quote Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
    The repo man doesn't make you sign a contract first that allows them to take ownership of you house, business and any other possession.
    Ummm.. yes, they do. If you don't pay your car loan bill or your mortgage bill, the bank will take back your car or house. In fact, you don't even own it until you are fully paid.

Anyway.. with regard to this thread -- I challenge you to find *any* other registrar that will not suspend your account if you perpetrate fraud on the company.
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

GoDaddy is heavy-handed, as is NameCheap (when they have to be). If you want to control your own domains, setup your own country, get your own country code, and be happy.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Ummm.. yes, they do. If you don't pay your car loan bill or your mortgage bill, the bank will take back your car or house. In fact, you don't even own it until you are fully paid.

Anyway.. with regard to this thread -- I challenge you to find *any* other registrar that will not suspend your account if you perpetrate fraud on the company.
    Umm no they will take your car away but no one will be taking away you other car if you own it and its paid for. Just like they wont be taking away and transferring ownership of anything else you own.

If the guy has other domains that are already paid for he owns them and has already paid for them. For Enom to lock his account and transfer ownership of the other domains is pure fraud and theft even if there is a CC dispute.

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

Um.. Forgive my ignorance of American business, but if the repoman cannot recover the car, won't they obtain a court order and send a bailiff around to recover the lost value in your other possessions. Furniture, appliances, etc. Or am I mixing American and British business practices? I'm not condoning the practice but aren't registrars just shortening this process with their ToS?
    Last edited by stub; 08-14-2007 at 07:06 PM.
    Signature Under Construction.

It's like what stu2 says in my country too.
    THey will get other stuff you own also.

In regards to the topic, I think it's a fairly reasonable thing.
    Imagine if you owned a registrar and someone bought a domain with a stolen credit card, would you not have them sign an agreement that said they did not own the domain in such a scenario?

Why would they not do this.. In the case that they find out it was actually stolen they can take the domain back, or else they would be accepting orders from stolen credit cards which should be a criminal offense.
    It's simply to protect their rights as a registrar when they suspect fraud is being commited.

If they ever abused this right and opened a dispute just to gain a domain name their business would go downhill in notime.

Yeah btw what's the point of being all melodramatic in the title here.. 'DRACONIAN' 'OWNS ALL YOUR DOMAINS' etc, please tone it down and try to keep it on a reasonable and intelligent level. Imo anyway.
    Last edited by coax; 08-14-2007 at 07:15 PM.

If you don't pay you rent you get kick out of the flat, simple as that!

Quote Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
    For Enom to lock his account and transfer ownership of the other domains is pure fraud and theft even if there is a CC dispute.
    Essentially, others can believe this and that. What counts is the agreement and being able to enforce its terms.

If there's a credit card dispute, the registrar has every right to suspend access to the account until it's been resolved. You'll likely find that in every registrar's registration agreement we all agree to.

Quite an interesting first time thread and post from a new WHT member as well. One thing I've observed is these sorts of things happen due to unrealistic expectations coming from little knowledge, much more understanding, of what they're getting themselves into.