How do I know if Tcl is installed on server?

I have someone who wants to sign up for a hosting account and is asking if Tcl is installed on my server. He says it is his preferred scripting language. As I use a reseller account and therefore do not administer my own server, I do not know the answer.

Is there a quick way to find out? I know I can send in a request to my upstream provider, but I'm wondering if I can just somehow find out myself.

Thanks.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

do you have ssh access?

If so login and type " locate tcl | more " press the space bar to scroll through the entries. You're looking for something like /usr/bin/tclsh and /usr/lib/tclXX where x = some number.

-neil
    neil MCITP, VCP

Thanks Neil.
    You're looking for something like /usr/bin/tclsh and /usr/lib/tclXX where x = some number.
    Yes, I saw them. There was /usr/bin/tclsh, and in the lib directory there were several dozen files. So I guess I can safely tell my customer it's installed.

Thanks again.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

You beat me to it.
    Kevin L. - WiseOnline Solutions
    Under New Management
    AIM: WiseSupportKev

What are they gonna do with tcl though??
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

I don't know. I figured it's just another scripting language. Just like PHP is. Should I be concerned?

Vito

n.p. I dunno - I mean it is a scripting language - but I've never heard of it being used for web stuff. Possibly this person just wants a shell account or something?

Anyone else?
    neil MCITP, VCP

It can be used for web programming, but its certainly not common

Its often used to on eggdrops... IRC bots....
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

yeah... egdrops and irc stuff is where I was going with it...
    neil MCITP, VCP

I don't know his exact use for Tcl since I don't know much about Tcl. But does this help?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=62692

Vito

Nothing wrong with TCL. It's just a scripting language like many other popular ones. There is nothing inherent in the language that would make folks with nefarious uses choose it.

Most likely, the person simply has experience with TCL and wants to work with the scripting language they are most familiar with.

You can write exploits in all kind of languages. Does that mean you ban the language someone who writes an exploit chooses to use -- like C ?

In fact, TCL is well suited for web apps. It's based on working with strings. Check out openacs.org for an open source site that has a large TCL based community-focused software project that has been around for years.

Worrying about TCL is unwarranted. Jsut because somebody somewhere wrote some exploit code with it doesn't mean the person is going to run exploit code under their account.

Hope the above helps,

Louis

Hope the above helps,
    It sure does. Thanks, Louis.

Vito

Originally posted by stlouislouis
    Nothing wrong with TCL. It's just a scripting language like many other popular ones. There is nothing inherent in the language that would make folks with nefarious uses choose it.

Most likely, the person simply has experience with TCL and wants to work with the scripting language they are most familiar with.

You can write exploits in all kind of languages. Does that mean you ban the language someone who writes an exploit chooses to use -- like C ?

In fact, TCL is well suited for web apps. It's based on working with strings. Check out openacs.org for an open source site that has a large TCL based community-focused software project that has been around for years.

Worrying about TCL is unwarranted. Jsut because somebody somewhere wrote some exploit code with it doesn't mean the person is going to run exploit code under their account.

Hope the above helps,

Louis
    Exploits aren't really a problem with TCL... Its people running eggdrops... 98% of people asking for TCL are most likely wanting to run a bot...