Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's the BEST dedicated hosting company?

Currently on AIT virtual hosting, ready to move to dedicated hosting. Small (35 domains, 300 MB of space needed!) but am very concerned about choosing a hosting company with an impeccible reputation.

There is no "BEST" hosting company. There are only good ones and bad ones. Click on "SEARCH" at the top this page.

I'd have to say Rackspace.com. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Again you might want to use the SEARCH function to do searches on companies such as:

RackSpace.com
    VenturesOnline.com
    Dialtone.net

Good luck

Rackspace.com gets my vote
    spam --> /dev/null

best can be determined by too many things to pick an actual "best."

some are better than others, some are cheaper than others, some have great bandwidth, some have great support and others dont.

you really just have to do some searching and try to form an opinion in between the flames about each company.

Everyone always says rackspace.com but I'm beginning to wonder what percentage of them have actually used rackspace.

In my opnion I think pwebtech.com and fastservers.net are two excellent dedicated server providers.

But then again everyone has their different opinions so really, there is no such thing as "the best dedicated server provider."
    Signature.

Originally posted by citrus
    Everyone always says rackspace.com but I'm beginning to wonder what percentage of them have actually used rackspace.
    the rich ones..

I recently used RackSpace - the service was excellent, the system was great (aside from one hardware failure, which I can't really blame them for...), and their connections were excellent.

Unfortunately, we moved away from them after 6 months due to financial reasons...

Darryl
    Darryl Ballantyne
    LyricFind.com Inc.

I was very happy at Dialtone when I was there, reasonably priced for goodish support. The only problems I ever had was with monitoring.

I also wouldn't recommend RackSpace, they accidentally wiped out someone I know's primary drive costing him and his members about a week of updates... they were also pretty unwilling to be fair and work with him when his server with them was acting up.

If you want a cheapo host, I've been with Nocster for about a month without major problem. Very nice.

Are there ANY trouble-free dedicated hosts?

This is just an FYI - do not shoot the messenger.

There are quite a few posts scattered throughout WHT suggesting that rackspace is the "best". While I can't say one way or the other whether this is true or not, I can say with absolute certainty that large blocks of rackspace IPs have been blackholed by SPEWS and others due to their alleged longstanding and ongoing relationship(s) with spammers. There are literally thousands of archived rackspace-originated spams archived by Google in news.admin.net-abuse.sightings alone.

More here:
    google archive of rackspace-originated spam from news.admin.net-abuse.sightings

And here:
    google archived discussions of rackspace-originated spam from news.admin.net-abuse.email

I'm not suggesting anyone not use them, but any potential customers of theirs should determine whether or not the SPEWS listings will impact them, as it can have a devastating effect on connectivity.

-Bob
    Last edited by TMX; 07-24-2002 at 05:20 PM.

Originally posted by RandyL712
    Are there ANY trouble-free dedicated hosts?
    What exactly do you mean by "trouble free?"

Do you mean managed?

Interesting that you mention the spam issue...now that you mention it, there was one incident where we sent out an automated email (post-signup welcome email with the user's password), and it was blocked by the University of Waterloo's spam filter...I was able to have our IP unblocked, and I didn't run into any other incidents - but it could definitely be an issue.

Darryl
    Darryl Ballantyne
    LyricFind.com Inc.

Originally posted by TMX
    This is just an FYI - do not shoot the messenger.

There are quite a few posts scattered throughout WHT suggesting that rackspace is the "best". While I can't say one way or the other whether this is true or not, I can say with absolute certainty that large blocks of rackspace IPs have been blackholed by SPEWS and others due to their alleged longstanding and ongoing relationship(s) with spammers.
    A lot of people consider RackSpace more or less spam friendly. I know I personally have sent in a lot of complaints -- ones I KNOW they received mutliple other complaints about -- and many still remain live. Actually, this is the reason I chose Dialtone over RackSpace when moving over a year ago... I don't want to be on a spammy host.

well AIT is a spammy host. Lots of email bounces back.

Re: What's the BEST dedicated hosting company?

Originally posted by RandyL712
    Small (35 domains, 300 MB of space needed!) but am very concerned about choosing a hosting company with an impeccible reputation.
    An "impeccible reputation" is hard to come by these days, and spending large amounts of money on a dedicated box guarantees nothing, unfortunately.

I would suggest spending some time searching WHT, Sitepoint, Google groups, etc... and try to put together a realistic picture of the pros and cons of each company you are considering - the trime spent will be well worth it.

My personal pick: For sheer bang-for-the-buck, webreseller.net, who I've been with for four months, is hard to beat. They have outstanding support, a reliable network, quality machines, and decent people running the show - as well as very competitive pricing on managed dedicated boxes.

They did have some problems last week (7/14/2002) during a move to an upgraded datacenter, but it's my opinion - based on prior experience with other providers - that these problems were quite minor in comparison to what they could have been (especially considering the amount of work that must be ionvolved in actually moving an entire datacenter), and I personally consider it to be a very small bump in an otherwise very good record.

Good luck

-Bob
    Last edited by TMX; 07-24-2002 at 05:27 PM.

I'd vote for webreseller.net

We've never had a problem with them, and support is great.

You can't go wrong with Rackspace.com if price isn't a factor. And yes I'm speaking from experience

while i do agree with some of you here some of the problems they've received with some of the big managed hosting providers, i believe these are isolated incidents. let's face it, everybody makes mistakes. in my opinion, i think the majority of users from these big companies are happy. just my 0.01 cents...
    spam --> /dev/null

Originally posted by GeorgeC
    You can't go wrong with Rackspace.com if price isn't a factor. And yes I'm speaking from experience

rackspace.com is the best.
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com

My Vote goes to Rackspace.com
    I have used them extensively , had linux as well as windows servers there. Service , support , network too good.

So far not found a host as good as them

Regards,

Originally posted by Darryl
    I recently used RackSpace - the service was excellent, the system was great (aside from one hardware failure, which I can't really blame them for...), and their connections were excellent.

Unfortunately, we moved away from them after 6 months due to financial reasons...

Darryl
    The last time I checked rackspace, their pricing went from $250 to $800+. There's nothing in the middle. Strange pricing.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

The best dedicated host is... ME! Bwahahahaha!

I vote 4webspace.com
    Gary

LOL RackSpace

1gig Intel Unix rig with 30gig transfer $1369.00 a month

My god it better be able to burp my kid, clean my pisser and wash the car for that price .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast