Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flame Wars

Originally posted by chrisb
    I've notice lack of moderation lately too; i.e., posts in wrong forums that used to be quickly moved. Yes, the moderators here should be paid!
    Don't the mods get a slice of the action?? Or it is just for the glory??
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Or rackshack can appoint me as a moderator, i'll do a good job trust me But i'll have ta ban a few people first

So who are you now to judge the content of everyones post? Neither you nor a moderator has the right to do so!

Originally posted by cbaker17
    OH MY GOD, I wanted to comment numerous times on how stupid some of these posts are, some are as stupid as "yea i agree with you" or say someones talking about a bad host, youll see a post like "yea thanks for letting us know about that host, it helps others in the future". Just stuff that absolutly rediculous and provides no information.

I wish the mods would delete all those post and ban the users.

doesnt

Doesnt take a genius to realize those examples contain no information at all, and are simply people trying to raise their post count. Of course you do have an awful lot of posts in a short amount of time hmmm, if i remember correctly your one of the people i am referring too... Dont blame you for getting mad
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

I agree with Charles; some of the posts contain no information. Not only do they waste my time to read them, simply getting a notification in email and then loading up the page, only to find someone has posted a worthless post, is maddening.

I suspect either those posters simply can't help themselves to post needlessly, or they are trying to raise their post count in an overall-worthless way.

Peter

I agree.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I agree.
    Me too!!

Oops.

Er, maybe I don't agree too much. It's a place to chit chat, no? Why get all uptite about it. The obvious flaming that goes on can be annoying, but also enlightening. I know such postings have saved me on at least one occasion.
    <!-- boo! -->

Okay, my previous sarcasm aside; I don't see a lot wrong with some short posts.

If you're annoyed by email notification; turn it off. I did; a year ago.

Some of the posts that have been referrenced; like, "Thanks for sharing" serve purpose to encourage the poster that their post was of some value, so maybe they will post again.

Sometimes, a simple, "I agree" is all that's needed. Sometimes it's about all the original poster wants. Someone to say whether they agree or disagree with their statement.

Let's lighten up some. It's a public forum; and we're not all going to agree on whether a post has value or not. But, if it was important enough for the poster to write, no matter how short, it's important enough for me to read.

Well, Scott, its not that Chit-chatting is not OK or that we all have to make acadamically-rigous post, but sometimes there are certain commen sense on whether to post.

For example, the lounge forum is the perfect place to chat, but in the main forum, people should be careful, becase there are others (like myself) who expect serious discussions.

I am not saying that we should turn webhostingtalk.com into webhostingaccademy.com, but how many times have you follow, say, a serious discussion on P3 vs P4, and someone posted some off-topic/chit-chat post that's entirely worthless?

If you think that's distracting, just think about how your receive in your email a notification, loading up the page thinking that you could see some interesting content, only to find that someone has said something like "I hate it too" or "yeah", which contain absolutely no information.

Peter

Short amount of time? i have been a member since March 2001, what are you talking about? wow flamers unite ckpeter and charles..

I agree with SWR that posts encouraging someone to share experience is appropriate, because then that person will be more inclined to share the experience later; thus benefiting the whole forum.

A lot of seemingly-non-informative posts are actually appropriate, but every so often I see a post that is so off-topic/worthless that I can't find any reason why the poster posted except to raise post count.

Peter

Originally posted by ckpeter
    . . . . . . . . thinking that you could see some interesting content, only to find that someone has said something like "I hate it too" or "yeah", which contain absolutely no information.

Peter
    Seems like they do contain information.
    Seems like they say that someone agrees or disagrees with the information posted.

If you or charles don't like that way people post you can leave..

Who cares

Originally posted by ckpeter
    I agree with SWR that posts encouraging someone to share experience is appropriate, because then that person will be more inclined to share the experience later; thus benefiting the whole forum.

A lot of seemingly-non-informative posts are actually appropriate, but every so often I see a post that is so off-topic/worthless that I can't find any reason why the poster posted except to raise post count.

Peter

Originally posted by edude
    Short amount of time? i have been a member since March 2001, what are you talking about? wow flamers unite ckpeter and charles..
    Me, a flamer? (or worthless poster?)

Let me just say a lot of times I choose not to comment on worthless posts. But that doesn't mean I didn't notice them.

I don't like to point finger at a specific person (or a few people); maybe I am trying to be nice?

Peter

I left a while back ago i just come back every now and then too see how bad the forums keep getting
    1-866-316-HOST

If you or charles don't like that way people post you can leave..

Who cares

Me leaving? I didn't spend all those time writing mostly useful posts only to leave because of some worthless posters.

I don't leave; I complaint; I agitate, and I do whatever I can to make things right.

Maybe that's the way you handle things; but not me.

Peter

They aren't that bad, just a little messy now and then. I wouldn't blame the forums. There have been quite a few recent SNAFU's that really got under a lot of peoples skin.
    <!-- boo! -->

kind of ironic

So who are you now to judge the content of everyones post? Neither you nor a moderator has the right to do so!

Kind of ironic how this thread turned into a flame and by edude no less heh
    1-866-316-HOST

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Seems like they do contain information.
    Seems like they say that someone agrees or disagrees with the information posted.
    Maybe, but it depends on the content of the post as a whole.

First of all, I didn't say those post that disagree. Ususally, people give reasons for disagreement, and those reasons are useful information (why I should not purchase a product, etc...)

Other times, people give supports to their statements. Those supports are useful information as well. (why I should buy a certain product/service, etc...)

I am only referring to when people post something like "I hate it" or "you get what you pay for", etc... which contain no useful information. (and I am talking about cases where there is only one-line; with no other useful content given).

Peter

Oh please Charles, i remember and i can even show posts where you have flamed Joe and other people..

I think the flaming comes by you so called "quality posters" judging peoples posts, if it makes you angry don't waste your time writing these so called "quality posts"...

Wheeee Heeee . . . . . .

Now we be gettin into some flamin!!!

Who started this thread, anywho?

Never said i havent flamed before hehe, you just cant let these flamers get to you
    1-866-316-HOST

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Wheeee Heeee . . . . . .

Now we be gettin into some flamin!!!

Who started this thread, anywho?

Welp, time to break out the asbestos boxers

I agree with Peter. Useful info to follow... ... what really irritates me is when a followup is just a smile or one of those other faces.

I really miss MattF. I liked him as a moderator cause he was a little crazy yet also fair, IMO.

I guess Robert won't tell us whether the moderators are paid or not, but as members of the forum, I think we have a right to know. If he's not paying them, he could always raise the price of a rackshack server enough to pay them a fair wage... just a thought.

Edude as a moderator?... LOL I'm afraid I'd be banned if Edude or SWR were moderators. I vote for ckpeter. He appears to be nice, fair, and non-confrontational.

Let's not forget Chicken who has worked hard and done a wonderful job moderating this forum. Glory? I see no glory in being a moderator or having a high post count... unless you're getting paid for it.

cbaker, I don't understand you. You posted a while back that you thought the forum had basically gone to hell, and you would not be back, didn't you?

Originally posted by The Prohacker

Welp, time to break out the asbestos boxers
    Yes. I think this thread is calling for drastic meassures.

Here's mine:

Full Frontal
    Linguistical
    Attack
    Mode
    Engaged

*Leaving to brush up on some esoterical words.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast