hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Remote SQL Connect Web Hosting

Forum Jump

Remote SQL Connect Web Hosting

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 PM

Remote SQL Connect Web Hosting

I looking for shared hosting for multiple websites, but I have some specific requirements:

1) Remote connections to a SQL database (using SQLCompare)
2) ASP.NET 2.0
3) A decent control panel to set things like subdomains up

Other features such as disk space aren't as important to me. I'm just having trouble finding any hosting that allows remote connections. Right now I'm using godaddy and it's great... just no remote connections.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Web Hosting Master

I doubt you'll find many, if any hosts that advertise remote connections. Grab a list of hosts that support ASP.NET 2.0 and e-mail each of them regarding remote connections.

You can try looking at the offers section if you need to get a list of hosts.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been doing a lot of research and haven't found any that support remote sql connections. I also tried to fill out a form for the automatic offers, but the only offers I've received don't even support .NET.

If anyone knows of a hosting company that allows remote sql connections, I would be grateful for the info. Apparently it's a pretty rare thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Web Hosting Master

I'm not sure via a host wouldn't allow a remote SQL server connection. I see no security or performance reason

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Old 08-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash-JH View Post
I'm not sure via a host wouldn't allow a remote SQL server connection. I see no security or performance reason
Agreed, especially when you have a clustered setup.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Hello and welcome to WHT!

With the proper security in place, I see no problems w/ remote access to MS SQL servers and believe quite a few providers would allow this. You are correct and 1and1 does not allow this.

Best wishes and good luck w/ your search!

Old 08-06-2007, 03:20 PM
WHT Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
Hello and welcome to WHT!

With the proper security in place, I see no problems w/ remote access to MS SQL servers and believe quite a few providers would allow this. You are correct and 1and1 does not allow this.

Best wishes and good luck w/ your search!
I agree with this to, if the host has the correct security in place there is no problem with allowing Remote SQL Connections

Old 08-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am gathering that it shouldn't be a big for hosts to offer remote sql connections (which is great news).

Unfortunately, I've looked through about a dozen hosting companies and have not found one that supports remote connections and .NET. Strange, huh?

I normally look through the Support section for hosting companies. The faqs/forums will often include a question like, "How do I add tables to my database?" And the answers are often along the lines, "Login to the control panel and click 'Add Table'. Remote connections are not allowed."

I'll keep looking, and if I find one I'll post it for anyone that's interested.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 PM
WHT Addict

Atalow you're probably not wording the question correctly. They probably think you're looking for remote desktop connectivity. Most hosts do have port 1433 open which you'd need for SQL Management Studio to remotely administer your server, those that don't do this often provide a tool like mylittleadmin or provide VPN access to their back end network so you can remotely connect to the sql server.

The common reasons we see for hosts locking this down today are:

1. blocking brute force attacks (many hosts don't have an IDS in place to block this)
2. a high level of PCI compliance.

#2 is the most common reason we find actually.

Hope it helps. Ask these same hosts if you can connect to the SQL server with management studio (or just say enterprise manager) and they'll probably say yes.

Jess

The Windows Hosting Experts (TM), now offering Windows Cloud Servers We're hiring!

Old 09-25-2007, 04:30 AM
Quality Guaranteed..

Connecting to SQL Server through Enterprise Manager/Management Studio should not be a big risk for hosts having good security measures..

Cheers,

KVM Linux VPS Enterprise Class Windows VPS Hyper-V Cloud Servers Enterprise Dedicated Servers

Old 09-30-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalow View Post
I looking for shared hosting for multiple websites, but I have some specific requirements:

1) Remote connections to a SQL database (using SQLCompare)
2) ASP.NET 2.0
3) A decent control panel to set things like subdomains up

Other features such as disk space aren't as important to me. I'm just having trouble finding any hosting that allows remote connections. Right now I'm using godaddy and it's great... just no remote connections.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Why don't you consider a VPS or Dedicated server - then you can install SQL on it yourself and do whatever you want.

www.BitFlowHosting.com

Old 10-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I haven't experienced any web hosts myself that dont allow you to connect thru Enterprise Manager/Management Studio, just take your list of hosts you are looking at and ask their support if you are able to..

CrystalTech

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Equinix Expands AWS Direct Connect Availability to Seattle Data Centers Web Hosting News 2013-05-10 11:32:28
Gladinet Launches Cloud Enterprise Service to Access SAN as a Private Cloud Web Hosting News 2013-03-28 14:19:44
Cloud Connect Readies Santa Clara Event with Keynote Speaker Lineup Web Hosting News 2013-01-22 16:26:28
Data Center Firm CoreSite Enabling Cloud Hosting in NYC via AWS Direct Connect Web Hosting News 2012-08-14 11:15:36
New on WHIR TV: Video from WHIR Networking Events Europe Whir Tv 2013-10-05 06:18:53