Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) HELP

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/index.php on line 1

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/index.php on line 1

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CHARACTER, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/index.php on line 2

i have no clue what went wrong.. what did i do...can anyone help me..
    my site is http://upithere.info. im getting this error on my front page. the index.php ...
    Last edited by haleyhosting_com; 08-04-2007 at 03:15 AM.

HowTo PHP - avoid the slashes problem

maybe somewhere in your database data are slashes ' ?

If you move from one server to another the PHP Version and php.ini settings can differ from the old one.

I hope the following article can give you ideas how to master the magic quotes and stripslashes/addslashes problem:
    http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-...12/120447.html

Afaik that error simply means you got a stray backslash where PHP doesn't expect it.

Check line 1 of that script and remove any backslashes that seem out of place.

PS. a text editor with PHP syntax highlighting is great for these kind of issues.

PS 2: Note that PHP interprets "\" as an unterminated string containing just a quote ("). A backslash is an escape character. To get a backslash in this case, enter it twice: "\\" is a string with a single backslash.

I would a guess a \"

thanks guys you were all right.. there were a bunch of slashes in the file. until this i never knew anything about php but now im interested. thanks again guys

6. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!