Post New to dedicated hosting...

I am new to dedicated hosting and I have many questions I would like to ask. I know it is a lot, but you do not understand how much I will appreciate each answer as I am looking into starting my own web hosting company sometime in the future.

1. What exactly is the difference between a dedicated host and a reseller host? I basically want to make my own web hosting company and I do not even want people to see where I am really hosted. Which one of these would I be looking into and is there even a difference? Can a dedicated host work as a reseller if I setup my own programs on it?

2. What is the average transfer of a dedicated host that a web hosting company users. Is 400gbs of transfer all I need? How far can it go? What do you recommend?

3. What is the average amount of space the average customer will use? How much space should I offer on an account which offers 10gbs of transfer? What are your recommendations on space?

4. I see many servers with different specs. What amount of RAM and what speed of processor is a good range? AMD or Intel?

5. I see many dedicated hosts which come with Plesk or Ensim or something like those. What are they and what can they do?

6. How and where can I get H-SPHERE for my customers to use? If I have a dedicated host, can I put H-SPHERE on and let them use it for their webspace?

7. I see hosts with many different servers so that they have enough space for their MySQL, POP3 e-mail, etc. How many servers should I get for just these "misc" servers? How many should I get for each so many regular customer servers?

8. How do you give the server a DNS? How can I make a dedicated host go by a subdomain as itself?

9. Where do other hosts start? What do you recommend? Any previous experiances, etc. to share?

10. How much profit can someone make on a server (if they themselves are the only owner)? Can you make a living off of a web hosting company? What would be a realistic salary for someone that starts a web hosting company?

11. How can I put a hosting company above the competition? I am only going to be giving out shared hosting and possibly some reseller hosting.

12. How do web hosts "activate" an account?

13. In general, how do webhosts work? If it is only a few people working on the company (like about 4 or 5 people) than how would you make a successful company?

I am just very confused as to how web hosts work. How do they actually give their customers a control panel? How do they give them features that come from the control panel? How does all of the servers come together to make a webhosting company? How does the mysql server, the mail server, the webhosts main server, the customer server, and other servers all come together?

If anyone could generally get me up on my feet or give me a link to a website which would help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. I simply don't know how they work, yet I want to make one.

Thanks in advance,
    ~Seph

Re: New to dedicated hosting...

Originally posted by Seph

1. What exactly is the difference between a dedicated host and a reseller host? I basically want to make my own web hosting company and I do not even want people to see where I am really hosted. Which one of these would I be looking into and is there even a difference? Can a dedicated host work as a reseller if I setup my own programs on it?
    Well, depending on what you mean, a dedicated host could be a host offering dedicated servers, or (probably this is what you mean) a host who offer hosting on dedicated server without himself being a reseller. You can't stop people from knowing where your site is hosted at, unless you bring it down. If they can reach it over the web browser, then they can traceroute it to where it is hosted. I am not sure about your last sentence. You may need to rephrase that and ask again. (or maybe it isn't even a valid question at all.)
    2. What is the average transfer of a dedicated host that a web hosting company users. Is 400gbs of transfer all I need? How far can it go? What do you recommend?
    This depends entirely on the kind of sites you host and the kind of clients you attract. For example, if you attract mostly personal sites, each site won't take up more then 1 GB of tranfer. However, if you run heavy forum/download/etc sites, one site itself could use up 400GB if not more. To give you an idea, a forum like webhostingtalk.com probably (I am not the admin, I am guessing) uses about 70-80GB a month with compression on.

3. What is the average amount of space the average customer will use? How much space should I offer on an account which offers 10gbs of transfer? What are your recommendations on space?
    Again, this depends entirely on the sites you host. Personal site takes up just a few MB, but heavy site would be more. I run a FTP mirror personally, and the videos are couple hundreds MB each (for a total of 5GB). I also host a client who is using 14GB now. (ok, that isn't shared hosting, but just to give you an idea how variable this is).
    4. I see many servers with different specs. What amount of RAM and what speed of processor is a good range? AMD or Intel?
    Again, this depends the sites you host. Static HTML sites don't take up any processing power at all, but forum/cgi scripts could easily run up an entire server. I once had a client whose script took over the whole server and putting the load always above 5 for a few weeks before he left. So the answer is variable. However, a RAM of 256 or 512 and CPU of 700Mhz is now currently considered a standard decent hosting machine. (but as I said, this is entirely variable)
    5. I see many dedicated hosts which come with Plesk or Ensim or something like those. What are they and what can they do?
    These are control panels that helps you manage clients and the server. For example, in the old, old days, you add a client by manually creating a Unix user, manually creating apache virtual host, manually setting up mail accounts (just think when you client wants 100 mail box to be set up). The job of the control panel is to help you automate these tasks (just push a button and all the relevent configurations are created for a client) Not the mention the same saving on modifying or removing client.
    6. How and where can I get H-SPHERE for my customers to use? If I have a dedicated host, can I put H-SPHERE on and let them use it for their webspace?
    H-sphere is just another control panel (although it is excellent). Check out psoft.net for h-sphere.
    7. I see hosts with many different servers so that they have enough space for their MySQL, POP3 e-mail, etc. How many servers should I get for just these "misc" servers? How many should I get for each so many regular customer servers?
    I would recommend that you start small. Usually, if you have limited budget, you go,
    reseller program -> single dedicated server -> multiple dedicated servers -> your own data center.

Of course, this is a long way. If you have the cash and the business plan, you can start with multiple servers. You need to assess your own situation first. And the answer to your question depends entirely on the kind of market you are targeting, etc...
    8. How do you give the server a DNS? How can I make a dedicated host go by a subdomain as itself?
    This is techical in nature. You setup up name server records for a domain so it will resolve subdomains as well. You control panel will also likely to have this built-in. (so it depends on the control panel as well).
    9. Where do other hosts start? What do you recommend? Any previous experiances, etc. to share?
    See my previous answers, and also lurk around webhostingtalk.com for longer to learn.

10. How much profit can someone make on a server (if they themselves are the only owner)? Can you make a living off of a web hosting company? What would be a realistic salary for someone that starts a web hosting company?
    Again, this is dependent on your business plan. You can choose to target a specific segment of the market. Some segments are high-profit (but low sales), while the lower end is low-profit but potentially high sales. You need volume or profit to just live off web hosting.
    11. How can I put a hosting company above the competition? I am only going to be giving out shared hosting and possibly some reseller hosting.
    Good question. If you don't know an answer to this you shouldn't be starting a host; you will just get eaten alive. You really need to take all things into consideration to judge this for yourself. (if I can tell you I would be rich now.) The things and keywords to look for are: service, quality, support, and financial sanity. (e.g. no $1 for 10GB)
    12. How do web hosts "activate" an account?
    This depends on the specific control panel. Usuually you log in to the control panel web interface, fill out a form, and push "creat client". You also need to setup billings and other things as well. (the CP may or maynot do this for you).
    13. In general, how do webhosts work? If it is only a few people working on the company (like about 4 or 5 people) than how would you make a successful company?
    A web host is just like any other company. You can start it as an individual, with a few person, or any other way a business can be formed.
    I am just very confused as to how web hosts work. How do they actually give their customers a control panel? How do they give them features that come from the control panel? How does all of the servers come together to make a webhosting company? How does the mysql server, the mail server, the webhosts main server, the customer server, and other servers all come together?
    You buy the control panel, install it on the server, and depends on each control panel, there are different ways to do it. As for how those things come togather, well, its just technicality.
    If anyone could generally get me up on my feet or give me a link to a website which would help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. I simply don't know how they work, yet I want to make one.
    Thanks in advance,
    ~Seph
    How about this link: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

Peter

Some new questions... BUT THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP SO FAR AND I CAN ONLY HOPE IT WILL CONTINUE...

13. What is the difference between Ensim, Plesk, or none at all? Could I setup a "master hsphere account" in which I could create, modify, and delete other users?

14. After I do get a few servers (I have money saved) how would I set them up to be the server they are? Meaning, how could I tell my customer used servers to use my mysql server for the mysql space and the get the mail from the mail server?

15. I know I have root access, but what does that mean? Can I actually install prgrams on the server as if it where my own?

16. Can you make a short or long list of steps you would lay out on how you would start up a host? Meaning, how would you go about buying it, than setting up the servers with apache and the other stuff, and so forth. What order and what steps should I take?

17. Any other comments, suggestions, advice?

Some new questions... BUT THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP SO FAR AND I CAN ONLY HOPE IT WILL CONTINUE...
    13. What is the difference between Ensim, Plesk, or none at all? Could I setup a "master hsphere account" in which I could create, modify, and delete other users?
    They are all control panels. Usually people choose one over the other because of features, interface, or price. You should search the forum for comparisons. There are tons of threads on that topic (too much if you ask me, people keep posting stupid post like "plesk vs ensim").
    14. After I do get a few servers (I have money saved) how would I set them up to be the server they are? Meaning, how could I tell my customer used servers to use my mysql server for the mysql space and the get the mail from the mail server?
    This is techical in nature, and it also depends on your control panel. For the minimum to answer your question, you need to figure out how many server you are getting and what control panel you are using.
    15. I know I have root access, but what does that mean? Can I actually install prgrams on the server as if it where my own?
    It means you have complete control over the server, period. You can install anything, uninstall anything, and trash the whole system. (usually you get root access because the server is your own; it isn't something just given out to anybody)
    16. Can you make a short or long list of steps you would lay out on how you would start up a host? Meaning, how would you go about buying it, than setting up the servers with apache and the other stuff, and so forth. What order and what steps should I take?
    See my answer below.
    I think you really need to take the time to familarize yourself with the hosting industry. (not meant to be offensive) You sound like a real newbie, and a lot of your questions are mixing in the techincal with the business side of things. (e.g. you can't decide how to set upi your server until you figure out what CP to get, how many servers to get, what client types to target, etc.)

For the very least, and for starter, you need to ask yourself: Am I ready for this? can I spend all my time on this to support my clients? How much money do I have? and how long can I hold on? What are my personal quality that will help in growing my business? etc.

Peter

Do you have any linux or bsd experience?

It doesn't seem it. If you don't, I would advise that you learn some before you go start a business.

Possibly work for an established hosting company after that, and see how things run. Then you can go from there.
    Jason

Seph is America's future web host!!

clocker, irregardless of your signature, you should give seph some credits. He appears to be very sincere and really want to learn things the right way.

He is still learning, and if he continues to learn, he will have as much credential as anyone else to start a hosting business and profit from it.

Peter

Well, I have been hosted by two hosts and I am actually very pleased with my current host and I don't know if I could even ever match them, but I will attempt to try someday.

I have had experience with webhosting, but I am not familiar with these control panels and that is why I am fairly confused.

I am currently looking at purchasing a few of the basic servers from rackshack.net and move from there.

I do not mean that I will be purchasing them now, I must...

1. make pricing plans
    2. look at the income, outcome, and other prices involved with the hosting
    3. create a website for the hsot
    4. purchase the servers
    5. install apache, python, and other software on all of the servers
    6. advertise the host heavily
    7. release it to the public and start immediate activation on all accounts

I am targetting those who want to find hosting with a plan such as $14 for 10gbs of transfer which is a fairly good price. This means I am targetting medium sized website, but most of which woudl probably use Perl and PHP (forums, etc) so I would need a decent processor on the server (I prefer Intel).

Oh, and I am going to to be the webhosting company of the future... I will host you all! Well, maybe not quite that far...

As for learning Linux... I do have Linux downloaded already, but I do not have a machine to run it on. I am not familiar with the file system so I must learn that, but how else woud you recommend learning about Unix webhosting?

I know... double post. I am thinking about starting my webhosting company in about three years from now (I want to keep going at the full time or part time jobs before I want to start because I want to have tons of money... just in case). Because I have these three years, I will have plenty of time to look at other webhosts, their failures, their successes, etc.

What would you show as an example of the perfect webhost (meaning the admins actually get some cash, but it isnt too big that a few people couldnt control it)?

I am not familiar with the file system so I must learn that, but how else woud you recommend learning about Unix webhosting?
    Using Linux and/or BSD and using it daily. Get some books. Invest in beer and some smokes (I prefer Newports or Camel Wides.) and install linux on a machine.

The only way you can learn Linux/BSD is to use it.
    Jason

Well, having three years to learn would be a tremendous help. It will prepare you well for entering the hosting industry.

I think splashhost started as a one-man team, and the owner was a young guy. (age is not a problem, in fact, I mentioned it to contrast his accomplishment.) By working diligently, setting sesible prices, and providing quality service/support, he now has multi-servers and a large client base.

Peter

I just want to know... how do these control panels work? Can you also give me an example number that I could figure that a host could make (in dollars) in a year?

Thinking about this...

great looking website with perfect navigation

vb forums for tech support and active community of customers

ticket system for immediate replies by the few people which will be monitoring them

multiple servers, including one for the mysql, mail, and dns

hsphere control panels for all customers

an average price of $14 for 10gbs of transfer and offer a lot of space as well

What do you think? What all should I do in these three long years?

If you want to learn more about how those control panel works, you can go through the demo for the respectively panels,

http://www.plesk.com/
    http://www.ensim.com/
    http://www.psoft.net/

As I mentioned before, don't think too much about the technicality yet. You don't know how much transfer or diskspace will cost in three years, so wait until 3 months before launch to decide. As long as you watch your financial situation, you will do fine.

The other features you mentioned are nice, and if you can do that, they will certainly be big pluses.

By the way, h-sphere is a control panel also, so it is (mostly) exclusive with plesk or ensim.

Peter

Now that I have seen these online demos, webhosting makes A LOT more sense now! Which do you prefer, Plesk?

I don't really have a preference. You have to look for each panel and decide for yourself.

Although if you want multi-server support, you should probably go with h-sphere.

Keep in mind that you don't need/shouldn't make decision on control panel until you have figured out a business plan. So give it a year or two to learn before deciding on one. Don't forget, control panels will get upgraded with time, so no need to make early decision.

Peter

How many servers?!

I think you are a bit confuzzzed when it comes to how many servers you need, too.

There is no need for a server just for email, a server just for FTP/HTTP, a server just for certain applications, etc. These servers aren't all connected together, because they are normally ONE!

Most people in the industry you will find are using Linux boxes, in fact, over 90% of the hosting population runs Linux, which is the exact opposite of the family computer. A popular distrobution for Linux that many hosts can be found using is RedHat. With RedHat a normal server setup will include your HTTPD, your FTPD, and all of your web applications, including email, SSH/Telnet, PHP, Perl, etc.

Thus, all in all, there is only a need for one server, no need for a separate server for email, separate server for HTTP, etc.

I hope this explains a bit more, I would recommend searching the web for "WebHost Startups" or "Starting a Webhost", I'm sure there are several resources for you after searching through google and then if you have any questions we are more than happy to help you out!

---
    Thanks,

Cline Communications, Corp.
    [email protected]

ooops, sorry for the double post . . . but, I think my post was a little late, I kept it opened for a few hours and when I finally got around to posting it, a bunch of new posts had already arrived! lol.

It is a good idea to learn the ins and outs of Linux first! =)

But we are all here to help you out if you have any questions at all.

---
    Thanks,

[email protected]
    Thanks,

[email protected]

Linux hosting forever! Why would you choose anything else? Way to unstable in my opinion...

I am still a bit confused about hosting... but this has helped. I will surely have more questions when I do talk with the others which wish to create this company.

Questions...

1. I couldnt find anything on starting your own web hosting company online.

2. Why does rackshack have a bad reputation?

3. Can some give me a very basic example as to how much I could possibly make with this company if it is me and up to three other people doing tech support for it?

4. How do you actually get money? How will they be billed, etc?

Thanks for your support,
    ~Seph

Linux hosting forever! Why would you choose anything else? Way to unstable in my opinion...

I am still a bit confused about hosting... but this has helped. I will surely have more questions when I do talk with the others which wish to create this company.

Questions...

1. I couldnt find anything on starting your own web hosting company online.

2. Why does rackshack have a bad reputation?

3. Can some give me a very basic example as to how much I could possibly make with this company if it is me and up to three other people doing tech support for it?

4. How do you actually get money? How will they be billed, etc?

Thanks for your support,
    ~Seph
    1.) yea you basically just have to get familiar with webhosting there probably wont be any step by step tutorials. (ex: you said you were going to advertise your hosting heavy or whatever i hav'nt ever advertised my hosting except paid 1 guy for banners that got no leads all mine have came from word of mouth) so everyone has thier own way of doing things.
    2.) i started out on rackshack back when they were way meaner than some are saying they are now and i had a messed up amd that would crash all the time and they would'nt do anything about it except reboot and close ticket.
    3.) you can make alot you can make a little, ex: me i make very little profit monthly and have no other staff than me, although i have very very happy customers that recommend me to everyone they talk to in term i grow slowly but its word of mouth. so if you were to spend 1,000s advertising then sure you could probably make way more than a smaller host like me does but its all in how much money you have to put into it.
    4.) 2checkout.com is who i use revcom and hostcharge are others i have heard of.

hope those helped

Zac Holley

Do you know the URLs to those other "check outs". Is there any way to have the checkout actually on my website and not at one of these? A PHP script that would send the information to one of these instead?

I just feel that it would look more professional if I did not send the customer to another website to check out.

Some new questions...

1. Where are you guys hosted?

2. What would you consider the best dedicated host for someone like me? I want to make a living on this hosting company (if possible) and I need to be on the proper host before I can even start.

3. Do you think that it would be better to have live support online for only four hours a day or have a ticket system which can be used any time and I will try to reply immediately. I will also have discussion forums (powered by vb), but I am in search of the perfect support for my customers. What would you consider the best form of support available (other than phone support)?

4. If I do get hosted by rackshack.net on their smallest plan, do you think thats a good move?

Thanks,
    ~Seph

1. Where are you guys hosted?

2. What would you consider the best dedicated host for someone like me? I want to make a living on this hosting company (if possible) and I need to be on the proper host before I can even start.

3. Do you think that it would be better to have live support online for only four hours a day or have a ticket system which can be used any time and I will try to reply immediately. I will also have discussion forums (powered by vb), but I am in search of the perfect support for my customers. What would you consider the best form of support available (other than phone support)?

4. If I do get hosted by rackshack.net on their smallest plan, do you think thats a good move?
    1) I myself am hosted at hostcentric.com. I have used them for ages, and (for me) they have been very reliable.

2) In my opinion the best dedicated host for newbies with virtually no linux experience is http://www.rackspace.com. They are fully managed so you don't have to do anything. Some more are http://www.dialtone.com , http://www.site5.com , http://www.pwebtech.com (Contact them via e-mail for pricing.)

I must mind you, these dedicated hosts are rather expensive, but you get quality, rather than quantatity. They provide top-notch support so you won't be left in the dark.

3) I think the best form of support is e-mail/ticket system. A forum would be an added plus. I myself have never been a fan of live support. It's hard to get detailed answers because the support tech is under so much pressure when talking live. (Just my opinion, again.)

4) Rackshack would not be a good Idea for you, because you are very new to linux. Rackshack is unmanaged, which means support won't be too in-depth and you'll have a hard time getting started. So your best bet is to take a look at the providers I mentioned above.

Hope this helped...

I will be pretty good with Linux Red Hat 7.3 before I even go with their Linux Red Hat 7.2 (if that is what they still have in the future). I am purchasing a new computer fairly soon and I will format and install Red Hat 7.3 (already downloaded it) on my current computer.

If I do have experience with Red Hat before I go into the hosting bussiness, than would rackshack.net be a good deal? I am more concerned with the tech support that I can give to the customers than that I will recieve from my dedicated host. I am not afraid to not have good tech support. If all else fails... couldnt I just post here or test it out on my own Linux machine?

If I do have experience with Red Hat before I go into the hosting bussiness, than would rackshack.net be a good deal? I am more concerned with the tech support that I can give to the customers than that I will recieve from my dedicated host. I am not afraid to not have good tech support. If all else fails... couldnt I just post here or test it out on my own Linux machine?
    Sure if you think you can do it solo, go right ahead...

The thing is some people might not want to host with you because you're with rackshack. It's just in some people heads that since rackshack is cheap they assume their servers are crap.

But if you want to save some money and you know what you're doing, Racksahck will be a perfect match for you.

Will people really try to find out where my servers are from if I am aiming towards people which are comming off of Geocities and Angelfire and on to their first pay host and eventually move up and get more space, bandwidth, etc as they need it?

Will people really try to find out where my servers are from if I am aiming towards people which are comming off of Geocities and Angelfire and on to their first pay host and eventually move up and get more space, bandwidth, etc as they need it?
    If they have the technical knowledge and they want to know then yes, they might.

But people coming from free hosts with basic knowledge most likley *won't* know how to do traceroutes, ans dns lookups etc...

I also was now looking into what the website for my host may look like and the name of the host itself as well. This brought up a few new questions...

1. How much influence does the name of the host have on those which are considering you as a host?

2. Does the name of the hosting have to be a real word? Will they be able to spell it if it isnt?

3. I see that all hosts have a white and gray theme with black text, does mine have to be like this as well?

4. Would a blue and black site (with white text) would we actually make sales? Does the colors effect a visitors opinion about the site?

I also was now looking into what the website for my host may look like and the name of the host itself as well. This brought up a few new questions...

1. How much influence does the name of the host have on those which are considering you as a host?

2. Does the name of the hosting have to be a real word? Will they be able to spell it if it isnt?

3. I see that all hosts have a white and gray theme with black text, does mine have to be like this as well?

4. Would a blue and black site (with white text) would we actually make sales? Does the colors effect a visitors opinion about the site?
    Whatever floats your boat...

There are no specific "Rules" that must be followed in order to become a webhost.

Yeah, I'm just going to be creative with the host.

for example all you have to do to find if a host is @ rackshack goto www.domainwhitepages.com and put in the domain

for ex: your host is zeonhost.com and i've never noticed the network names before so i can't tell you what network its in.

and if its @ rackshack its like this
    NS1.EV1.NET 216.88.76.6
    NS2.EV1.NET 216.88.77.7

hope that helps and yes alot of customers especially with any knowledge about hosting will do these things

Or you could do a traceroute @ http://samspade.org and you will see that the last few hops have IP addresses belonging to ev1...
    Signature.

I know how to do a trace route, I never said I didnt know how. I sat down today and began thinking of a name for the webhosting company...

Well, I've spent the past hour and a half checking domain names that are available and names that I would like... and I guess I have just about given up as I found this...

The domain come-here-and-sign-up-to-get-really-cheap-good-hosting-that-you-can-afford.com is taken!

There is no more good domain names left for anyone to use.

seph...i have several book recommendations for you to read up about webhosting. they've proved very useful to me in the past:

1) Web Hosting by Carl Burnham.
    2) Strategies for Web Hosting and Managed Services by Doug Kaye.

Do a search on amazon.com and be sure to check them. It will answer most of your questions in depth. Have fun learning!
    spam --> /dev/null

Seph, I would say start with a reseller plan. you can find one for $30 - $90/mo. Build yourself a server in your house if you have no familiarity with Web servers. Learn how to secure them, and how to run sites on them as well as how to set user restrictions up for space, bandwidth, databases, ect. Remember all of the questions users ask you when your a reseller. Remember anything your current host fixes or answers, you're going to have to answer when you're running your own servers. good luck with whatever you choose.
    Web Design:
    web design company

Thanks for listing those books, I'm searching for them at Amazon now (adding them to my wish list), but it should not be long before I really purchase them. I guess I have an idea of how the hosting works, but I don't know how to actually get started. Thats the hard part. I guess I'll just have to figure that out on my own.

you actually have to get a feel and understanding of the web hosting industry before you can get into it. By understanding it better you can then decide whether it is for you and start planning your business. it's a good learning experience. apart from those books, try searching on WHT. there's a wealth of free information available for you to look at....
    spam --> /dev/null

Nice post here

I will like to thanks you all for the lesson here, I read all, and still in the same boat as Seph, learning for the present.
    Thanks
    I think I found my second home here at WHT Forums.

I'd like to thank everyone as well. I learned a lot form this post.