Post My first experience as buying a Dedicatedserver :-)

hi,

ok so i just whant to share my
    first look at the dedicated world :-)

its since sometime i look to buy a dedicated server, my need growing then hosting some web site etc..

So over a couple week looking for a server then reading here at wht (very nice forum).. So reading and reading more in the forum then as i have seen (correct me if i'm wrong) it seem the choice for an affordable dedicated server will be limited to some buziness only (talk just about quality/price)...

Here what i have seen from my experience...

Here the biz. that look like great or not too bad at least;

Nocster at least 300gb 120$/month w a panel (then just cpanel as i see) look like not too bad.. there is some recent post that tell they have to ofer better service but... So i have turned back from nocster because of the setup price.... Realy too high

Rackshack.net 400gb 99$ / 199setup
    Great price but seem to have a lot of complaint about they service also, just do a search in the forum you will see a lot..

Eserver.biz 500gb/month 159$/month 0$ setup
    I think its eserver that have the best option , the price is good they do not charge you whit high monthly fee for upgrade that in my opignon this is the way it should work..

Can someone explain me why if i add 512mb of ram in my server i will have to pay 200$setup 30$ a month guest 512mb use a lot of electricity in extra.. Anyway Eserver as great package, they seem to offer a great support also as i see at least :-) But the fact is eservers look like to have very limited servers, but lot tell they worth the wait.

Webreseller.net 450gb 149$/month 99$ setup
    Webreseller have great package, i have been realy near to buy one but after over a week trying to talk to someone in live chat this lack of support let me very cold impression... But ppl look very happy whit the support.. Gues need a better sales support... Even send email then never got a reply... To bad... (webreseller where my first choice but they re move look not finished then sales support ...

All these biz are offering the best offer at my look at less..

Then so since my other choice was eserver.biz and no server are available at this time i have done a step whit my 2 feet in front on rackshack (even whit some bad comment here, i can pray to not having doing a bad comment later :-) ), so here is my first look, take in mind i'm a newbie in this even in linux ;-) :

Ok so 2 days ago a have buy a celery 1.3 at rackshack then i was realy impress. about how fast i got the server, its not a joke, almost 30sec after paying my server i will have access to my server ;-)) Realy happy then starting playing whit my toy :-)

So take a look on the server got on the plesk panel then oups seen there is no key installed in plesk, so Dring,Dring the phone is ringing then a guy from rackshack calling to sheck if my cc was good i think :-) so blabla... Yes its me that have buy this server :-) HANGUP

Then go to look then loging in the RS-panel then send a ticket about the missing key in plesk..

Date: 7/22/02 8:32:01 PM

fixed : 7/22/02 9:15:25 PM

Then like it very mutch, the plesk is 2.5 so ill have to upgrade to 2.5.3 then i'm trying to install all latest patch on it but until now i'm realy happy whit the server, i will do lot of burning test next days to come, to make sure it will be stable on high load but i'm realy impress about the delay to get access at the server...

Then the futur tell if i have do the good choice :-)
    Anyway ill post my experience when needed :-)

Ill expect this help some other like me...:-)

-= Newbie an learning =-

Thank you, it's very interesting

Just a note - If you contact Nocster, you can get them to spread the setup fee over several months.

Cool thanks for that. I am also looking and its so hard to work out what to get thats best suited foor a brand new user.

Yeah RS rocks.. Just picked up another Compaq box today.. I suggest you get one of those when the need for another server comes up.. While RS support peeps might not be the smartest atleast you can ALWAYS get someone on the phone and if they cant fix the prob you can talk to a supervisor or something instead of waiting around for days like some of the other companies..

Happy this help an interest some..

Originally posted by Slav
    Cool thanks for that. I am also looking and its so hard to work out what to get thats best suited foor a brand new user.
    if this help you great :-)

i'm still working on the server then stuck on someting, but since nothing rush :-) But i still like since now :-)

then nocster pm me to tell they can put the setup fee on couple on month just to tell it .. But Hey nocster, come on, 400gb would be far better, same as you have (may be less setup fee) but whit 400gb, 300gb is small a bit, we have to be able to rentabilize it you no :-)

Re: Happy this help an interest some..

Originally posted by x007

if this help you great :-)

i'm still working on the server then stuck on someting, but since nothing rush :-) But i still like since now :-)

then nocster pm me to tell they can put the setup fee on couple on month just to tell it .. But Hey nocster, come on, 400gb would be far better, same as you have (may be less setup fee) but whit 400gb, 300gb is small a bit, we have to be able to rentabilize it you no :-)
    300g small ?!? I love how nebies have no idea about things and try to bash them. Just one year ago, pre-Cogent, servers came with 50gig on average. If you still want quality tier1 bandwidth you still will only get 50gig or so with a low end server.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

Re: Re: Happy this help an interest some..

Originally posted by Jag

300g small ?!? I love how nebies have no idea about things and try to bash them. Just one year ago, pre-Cogent, servers came with 50gig on average. If you still want quality tier1 bandwidth you still will only get 50gig or so with a low end server.
    I use already over 250gb as resellers..
    So 300gb yes its small

I suggest eservers.biz - they're out of servers now, but rumor has it they'll have some more soon. Sign up for their list and wait it out - it's WELL worth it.

-neil
    neil MCITP, VCP

eservers.biz does not come up and eserver.biz says just registered and comming soon what it the real address?

Re: Re: Happy this help an interest some..

Originally posted by Jag
    *lol* Yup, we get 40gig with our servers and still pay a lot more than these guys per month. Of course the 40 gig is on NAC's network, whose map looks like a porcupine compared to these two option jobs

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

with 300 sites we only use about 60GB/month so 300Gb seems plenty but we've just gone for a server with webreseller ...
    Now we've got one with rackshack and one with webreseller this way we can compare the two... and always have one for backup incase something goes wrong with either of them,

Richard

* Hi !

Just to let u know i'm still happy whit rackshack at this time... :-)

No problem at all whit the servers itself, i have do some work to upgrade plesk, php, apache but else all is nice...

Hoot : then eservers.biz is working here ... But still no servers available ...

webreseller has not set our server up yet, we might be going to cancel our payment and get a second one with rackshack ... (well we only ordered 2 days ago but still not good !

well erservers.biz still not working from here I guess that it's no good for me if it's not accessible from europe !!

Anyway rackshack is VERY good a supply everything that they offer.
    It is not managed hosting, you get what they offer and can not expect them to help you install anything extra (upgrades etc...). this is why they get complaints, basicly don't choose Rackshack if you expect them to do everything for you.
    Their network uptimes have been bery good (down once in 6 months !). Their reboots are very good, there restores are cheep ($50) and fast (choice between 24h and 1H service). Their network speed is very good. I haven't had any hardware problems yet but otherwise I think that they are one of the best if you know what you are doing (anything that you can't do at your end is done very quickly). I also like the idea of being able to pay for as many IP's as you want and as I offer anonymous hosting and SSL and own nameservers with some accounts it's very handy to have them setup within 24 hours on demand.
    What I like is that everything is very streight foward and exact, thy are a great company !

it's eservers.biz and http://www.eservers.biz works fine for me.
    neil MCITP, VCP

hoot: We have a lot of european clients, can you confirm which country you trying to access us from.

Thanks
    Imran
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

Just for information : from France (Paris and south) it's impossible to access to www.eservers.biz since one month.

Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

I wrote a message on this subject here >> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=58798

I cannot make traceroute, I always have a 404 error.

You can try >> http://www.tracert.com/cgi-bin/trace.pl and choose "France, Paris, Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers" (not France Paris, EU.org via Global One). You'll see what we get in France.

I often wanted to see your site and your services, but unfortunately, I never could.

If you want I can test for you in few days

Unfortunately I get a "403" when I try the "France, Paris, Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers" option...

A trace would be nice, thanks.

Imran

No problem but I can't give you a trace because when I do a traceroute with "Ping Plotter" for www.eservers.biz, I've always got this message :

"Couldn't resolve host name http://www.eservers.biz. Make sure you use only a base address. Don't include any directories or e-mail addresses."

I can't access to the site and I can't do a trace because it's not working (my english is not good so I hope you can understand what I say ).

>> You're right it's a 403 error now with www.tracert.com, even from France.

Bot: try tracing the IP 209.51.159.226

Imran

It's working :

Target Name: (resolving host name)
    IP: 209.51.159.226
    Date/Time: 31/07/2002 22:05:59

1 395 ms 159 ms AAnnecy-101-1-2-1.abo.wanadoo.fr [194.253.252.1]
    2 428 ms 134 ms [193.253.10.242]
    3 404 ms 112 ms P2-0.nrlyo102.Lyon.francetelecom.net [193.252.101.114]
    4 397 ms 87 ms P12-0.ntsta202.Paris.francetelecom.net [193.251.126.98]
    5 514 ms 173 ms [193.251.126.58]
    6 561 ms 249 ms P12-0.NYKCR2.New-york.opentransit.net [193.251.241.134]
    7 570 ms 228 ms P9-0.NYKCR1.New-york.opentransit.net [193.251.241.213]
    8 547 ms 212 ms P4-0.NYKBB4.New-york.opentransit.net [193.251.241.29]
    9 545 ms 189 ms Psinet.GW.opentransit.net [193.251.240.210]
    10 598 ms 291 ms p5-0.br01.jfk01.atlas.psi.net [154.54.1.197]
    11 615 ms 267 ms p14-0.core01.jfk01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.1.21]
    12 591 ms 267 ms p4-0.core01.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.10]
    13 564 ms 243 ms p4-0.core02.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.81]
    14 583 ms 230 ms p14-0.core01.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.125]
    15 559 ms 283 ms g49.ba01.b000173-0.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.5.242]
    16 672 ms 282 ms dv2.demarc.cogentco.com [66.28.28.254]
    17 677 ms 269 ms [209.51.131.1]
    18 654 ms 266 ms [209.51.159.226]

Here what I got with my browser :

"This is the Plesk Server Administrator™ default page.
    If you see this page it means:

1) hosting for this domain is not configured
    or
    2) there's no such domain registered in Plesk.

For more information please contact [email protected]"

Looks like there are DNS problems with Wanadoo..

But it's not working with www.tracert.com, so is it Wanadoo too ? (Wanadoo = France Telecom)

Me too I'm from france but I managed to get their page up today, I'm with wanadoo adsl too so maybe this is the problem but generally they are very quick about updating their dns records and I've got another server in the us and it all works fine ! I've even got a server in the uk with a .co.uk domain registered in the uk and from my wanadoo connection I could see the site before someone with a BT connection in lonton could !
    I don't think that it's their servers but their registrars or something ... anyway webresellers have just sent us our information and the server should be up and running soon and if it's not good we will go back to all with rackshack as soon as possible !!

Common x007 any updates?

Well with my plesk 2.0 server with rackshack, in the end I upgraded to plesk 2.5.0, then installed ssh, then upgraded php to 4.1.2, then upgraded to plesk 2.5.3, then had too many mysql connections so had to increase the max amount of simultanious mysql connections. It now works fine but not after some trouble ... (plesk 2.0 seemed to be corrupted from start, so we had a restore done (free), I then did the upgrade to 2.5, then found that the licence wasn't working, thought it was my upgrade and spent all night on the chat, in the end I told them "You did not install my licence in the first place !" and they told me that plesk 2.0 licence was not compatible with plesk 2.5, I said it was, they said no, I said yes, they said no, I got angry and asked for my licence information so that I could contact plesk and complain, they looked into the problem found that it was compatible and installed it ...
    So at last I thought everything was running, till I got my first complaints from my customers that perl was not working, so I contacted rackshack who fixed it quickly and free but would not tell me what they did.
    I then had a few problems installing php 4.1.2 but in the end got it working and my upgrade to plesk 2.5.3 went without problem !
    ). Now I think that they have up to date versions installed and not much to do to them and you have to admit, apart from the licence problem and the corrupted mysql when I first got the server all the rest was my fault and now that it is up and running their network is very good and I'm now very pleased with their service. I love rackshack but they are not the best for beginners but I was a beginner and learn't the hard way !