hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : the planet... not worth the hassle?

Forum Jump

the planet... not worth the hassle?

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

the planet... not worth the hassle?

we have a mailing list with 100,000 subscribers (all completely opt-in)

we ruled out hostgator as they said they will unplug the server as soon as they have recived 2 comlaints regardless of the timespan between the compaints

it is the nature of the e-marketting industry for both the company and the host to receive occasional comlaints despite following canspam and having unscribe links at the top and bottom of sent mails

we need a host with a fair policy on this kind of thing

the planet seem to have quite a fair policy where they actually investigate complaints but ive heard nothing but negative comments about the company for the past year and things seem to be getting worse

we only want one server, it will be quite a high end machine but we need it and the network to be reliable as it will be maxed out for days at a time while it dispatches mail to our whole list

opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Web Hosting Master

Most us providers do not allow email list servers,so you would look for China/HK servers

Old 07-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Web Hosting Master

options is only to look for offshore hosting - you will get exactly same treatment anywhere in USA

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Web Hosting Master

I doubt you need offshore hosting if you're truly running an opt-in list. We have a mailing list service for our clients and send 100,000+ emails a day through many different mail servers in many different datacenters, receive many unsubscribe requests, spam complaints, etc... and as long as they are acted on, nothing is ever risked.

It all depends on how you run your list, and how you respond that makes the difference. If you're not actually sending spam or UCE, and take care of issues as they arise, I would say most DC's would not have a problem with your list.

- John C.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:06 AM

been with the planet for 2 years..just moved all my servers to alphared & luvin them. They used to have good support, but after the migration with ev1 there tech support went down hill. Recently, it seems like theplanets knows these issues & when I called tech support a few days ago, they seemed to have changed their procedures in answering calls. So, something is going on there & there prices have dropped significantly on servers. I would wait to purchase a server from them, until they get everything together. It seems like alot of there customers are going to softlayer

Old 08-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Junior Guru

I currently host with theplanet and find them quite good, though at times they are subpar, but overall good. I would give them a shot, though I would wait for one of their promotions.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Zayo Acquires Dallas Provider CoreXchange Web Hosting News 2014-03-06 10:43:58
Cloud Market Revenue to Reach Nearly $20B by 2016: 451 Research Report Web Hosting News 2013-08-20 12:21:41
Government Cloud Market Projected to be Worth $18.48 Billion by 2018 Web Hosting News 2013-08-16 13:51:06
Today in Domains: Startups, Exact Match Keyword Domains and Facebook Typosquatters Blog 2013-05-01 16:35:20
ServerHub Expands to Dallas-Fort Worth with New Data Center Web Hosting News 2013-04-12 15:45:06