hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Programming Discussion : Need advice: how hard is it to do this on my website (ex: inside) --logins

Forum Jump

Need advice: how hard is it to do this on my website (ex: inside) --logins

Reply Post New Thread In Programming Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 05:05 PM
WHT Addict

Need advice: how hard is it to do this on my website (ex: inside) --logins

Kind of hard to explain w/o linking to my website, but I would like to have a login system so visitors can create a free account, login, and customize a page that they can save. I want it to go something like this:
1) I have preset images they can choose from (like avatars)
2) The can choose X amount to be placed in certain areas of the page I define
3) It creates the page w/ chosen images, gives them their own url to their custom page (like photobucket).

It's nothing complex (the website) but since I have pretty much no programming knowledge, I can't do this myself.

How long does something like this take, and how much would it cost me to get it done? Would I have a chance of somebody doing it for free (if I knew them, that is) or is it too time consuming?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Disabled

This is like your fifth thread on the exact same topic. What have you tried besides posting about it on the internet?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Web Hosting Master

Certainly it is time consuming (maybe 1-2 days of work) and I wonder why someone would do this for free...

You can probably hire an Indian programmer and get this cheap...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2007, 06:07 PM
WHT Addict

Yes Engel, it is like my 3rd post, get over it.

lol Tony.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

You want to discuss programming but you have no knowledge of programming...

What exactly do you want us to say?

How much would it cost? At least 150 dollars.
How much time would it take? At least 5 hours.

You don't even suggest a language you want it done it... there is really nothing we can do to help you.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:20 PM
WHT Addict

Well my page is written in HTML if that helps. What should it be done in?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintox View Post
Well my page is written in HTML if that helps. What should it be done in?
Not at all.
You'll need to do some serious reading on a server-side language (not to mention general programming), or pay someone to do it.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Hi there,

Yes, it can't be done in HTML. Instead, it will have to be done in some server side programming language, such as PHP, .Net, Java and Cold Fusion.

No, you are not likely to find someone to do this for free. However, you are likely to find at least 10 scripts that do pretty much that over the internet.

Time consuming is not a global definition. Some people say that if it takes 1day it's time consuming, others will tell you that if it takes more than 1 month it's time consuming. Others will tell you that if you say 1month is time consuming what do you call an app that takes 1years to develop? A life-time project?

Seriously, though, a good challange could be reading a tutorial on PHP + Mysql, or ASP.net + Sql Server. You'd be amazed by the (lack) of time it takes to do that, specially in .net where you can use the builtin Membership & Roles.

Eventualy, in the end, you would be able to do it yourself

If you have any further question ask away.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:19 PM
WHT Addict

Thanks Activ, that was helpful.

I don't think my hosting supports ASP, but it has PHP version 4.4.7 but it looks like it'll have to be written in Javascript.

I posted it on RentaCoder just to see the price, but I am looking for someone in either here or AnAndtech to do it for me (I'll pay). I'd rather just have someone I can contact easily do it/help me.

I can find login scripts w/ profiles, etc, but I need them to be able to customize a page, which I don't think a free script can do.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Thanks Activ, that was helpful.

I don't think my hosting supports ASP, but it has PHP version 4.4.7 but it looks like it'll have to be written in Javascript.

I posted it on RentaCoder just to see the price, but I am looking for someone in either here or AnAndtech to do it for me (I'll pay). I'd rather just have someone I can contact easily do it/help me.

I can find login scripts w/ profiles, etc, but I need them to be able to customize a page, which I don't think a free script can do.
In javascript? Mate, from where I stand the problem is that you can't explain what you want. This said, maybe before you could try and explain us exactly what it is that you want to be done. Provide some pictures, or links to similar sites?

Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Community Guide

You can check here too:
http://www.hotscripts.com/

Old 07-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActivI View Post
This said, maybe before you could try and explain us exactly what it is that you want to be done.
What he wants is attention, pity and free labor.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:56 PM
WHT Addict

Engel, what the hell is your problem? I am trying my best to explain w/o providing a link and having people claim I am trying to get free traffic, or whatever. I would also like to keep it kind of private since you never know who is on the internet. And I don't want free labor, if I can get someone to help me/do it for me I will pay.

Now activ, I will post a great drawing in MS Paint of what I want in just a minute

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69...ox/example.jpg

I could edit it (the website) so it could be easier to code, though I would need to be told how to make it easier for the programmer

Last edited by Quintox; 07-31-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Engel, what the hell is your problem? I am trying my best to explain w/o providing a link and having people claim I am trying to get free traffic, or whatever. I would also like to keep it kind of private since you never know who is on the internet. And I don't want free labor, if I can get someone to help me/do it for me I will pay.

Now activ, I will post a great drawing in MS Paint of what I want in just a minute

Now we are getting somewhere

Edit: you snuck that edit in on me

I would personally use tables for what I assume you are trying to do. A lot of people will argue CSS is better, but who cares.
Basically you are going to want to setup a table.

Code:
<table>
<tr style="height:125;">
<td style="width:125;background:#FF0000;"><td style="width:100;">
<td style="width:125;background:#00FF00;"><td style="width:100;">
<td style="width:125;background:#0000FF;">
<tr><td colspan=5 style="height:50;">
<tr style="height:125;">

<td style="width:125;background:#FF0000;"><td style="width:100;">
<td style="width:125;background:#00FF00;"><td style="width:100;">
<td style="width:125;background:#0000FF;">
</table>
It is color coded so you can kinda figure out where to put things. If you don't know how the colors in HTML work (in this case), it is basically like this: 0-F (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F) are in range of their "strength". So a color is RRGGBB. So FF0000 is all red, no green, no blue.

Last edited by HostSentry; 07-31-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:09 PM
WHT Addict

OK , read my post 2 up for a picture, but here's a great example of what I want, but for users to customize the little picture links
http://www.inviteshare.com/browse.php

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Nominet Pilot Program Hopes to Help SMBs Combat Cyber Threats with Support, Advice Web Hosting News 2014-02-07 15:12:39
Hard-to-Find Malicious DLL Found in Some Microsoft IIS Web Servers Web Hosting News 2013-12-10 12:52:53
Easyspace and Crunch Partner to Package Hosting and Accounting Services Web Hosting News 2013-07-15 15:03:55
StopTheHacker Launches Version 3.7 of Website Security Tool Web Hosting News 2013-02-04 18:40:30
Web Host eUKhost Moves Billing System to New Server After Hacker Breach Web Hosting News 2012-04-30 10:21:08