Multiple domains on one account

I have a question about web hosting packages. This package:
    http://www.insiderhosting.com/hostingplans.html says it includes 3 domains. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that I can have 3 domains all pointing to one site? Or does it mean that I can have one domain point to a directory in my site, and another domain point to a different directory?

Please let me know!

- Casey

Generally if a host supports more than one domain, they're referring to domains that are separate sites and act the same as normal domains, but use a subdirectory as their home directory instead of the public_html directory. This varies from host to host, though, so your best bet would be to contact Insider Hosting directly and ask them.
    Jay » jay@frontdrive.com • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

I guess it means you can host upto 3 different domains on that plan. (i.e. If you have 3 different sites, you could host all 3 on that plan) Its proberly best to email them and ask

Thanks for the quick replys guys! I'll contact the hosting company. I'm also checking out http://www.focalhosting.com, which does the same thing.

Any reseller account [whm/CPanel etc] can give you the option of hosting multiple domains per account. Your main domain comes with a dedicated IP address and the domains you setup in your WHM, are name-based accounts. They share the IP of the server but fully resolve to their domain name etc.

If you want, you can even setup subdomains to have their own control panels etc. You just enter the subdomain in the form where you would normally add the domain name when setting up that domain. This way your subdomain can have its own control panel, email and other unique feaatures.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

I think the hosts refer to addon domains in Cpanel

it'll depend on the control panel and the way the host sets it up I suppose. From cPanel experience it either means you have the three domains pointing to the main domain, though most of the time it means the domains are 'piggybacked' on the main domain by coverting a subdomain to a pointed domain. To the outsdie world they look and act as if they were their own accounts entirely. The main plus and minus is they all share the same email server.

Most cPanel hosts will entertain the idea if you put it to them. If they don't, well just tell them you have it on very good authority that it's a simple task that takes them very little time to set up

If it's not something directly charged for then as long as you're looking at less than half a dozen of so domains it would be a fairly lazy hosting company that wouldn't do it for you.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by IT Hosting
    I think the hosts refer to addon domains in Cpanel
    Saw them add that in there a while back. It's still in Beta [what isn't? ]. Does anyone have any experience with how well this feature works?
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

focalhosting.com use H-sphere, and H-sphere allow you to set separated accounts under the same Control panel. Those domain have their own email box but they share space and bw with the main account.

With cpanel do pretty much the same, but what you do its forward all the email from domain2.com to domain1.com, the additionals domains do not have their own email boxes.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Bob,

I think so. I've seen it in there, but haven't looked into it too much. I think we all remember the great webmail incident of last year

Jorge,

sounds like what the thread starter may be looking for if they're running customer accounts that need their own e-mail servers. I know a few webdesigners that have questioned us about that (as we're not running reseller accounts yet)

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik

sounds like what the thread starter may be looking for if they're running customer accounts that need their own e-mail servers. I know a few webdesigners that have questioned us about that (as we're not running reseller accounts yet)

Greg Moore
    Thanks for the info guys. I emailed Focal Hosting and the 2 domains is like two separate accounts. They have separate email accounts and everything but share the same space and bandwith allotment. It is exactly what I am looking for. I'm going to sign up in the next day or so and I'll let you know how it turns out.

- Casey