The install on a 32 bit vps was not problematic at all.
I do, however, recommend using the Control Panel>remove/add programs>install new programs applet be used to install new things. With Win 2003 server..it can be the difference of a istall that works..or a install that does not work..due to file permission problems when the applet is not used.
This is primarily for 64bit VPS installs..as there were serious problems.
The fix involves a few edits to the system registry...and if you've never done this before..you need to take it slow and
It is possible to mess it up...and completely fudge the server. Yes..it is true. Trust me..there is a reason there is no
link to regedit.exe for a very good reason indded.
It was bad enough in Windows 95 and Windows 98..when the registry only contained Binary entries and hex. With the
introudction of NT..the powers that be decided executables belonged in there too.
The basic rule of thumb: If you don't understand what the key is..don't touch.
Make a vps backup if you can..just in case. However..if you take it slow..there is no way you are going to crash anything.
Here's what you do:
1. Install SQL express and the management component
2. When you start the management component..you will likely get a error:
Cannot find or repair..blahblah../mscorlib.tlb
3. Fijnd the absolute path to the 64bit version of mscorlib.tbl
Yours may be different..just check by clicking on the good ole "my Computer">Whatever dirve>whereever
Now..close it out and go to "run" and type regedit
Regedit in all it's..umm.."glory" should start...and we are going to do a search for:
The only keys I had to mess with had simple mistakes..except for the last one..which I believe is the cause for this error.
There are a few keys that read:
Just change them to
You do this by right-clicking on the key and select modify
As I said..I really don't think this is the problem..but..your decision. I did.
You can step through to the next key using the same search by hitting F3 key.
The real problem is a key that has variables. It involves a key called tblrepair or something.
Here's what I did:
I simply gave it a absolute path.
The key was something like:
I simply replavced it with a absolute path..which is above. Seems to work fine.
We shall see.