Question Hello! Site Design...Good? Bad? Only okay?

I am the owner and operator of 250Free.com, a free web hosting service. I've decided to move into the crowded field of professional hosting.

I'm good at what I do. That is, providing good value services and being very good at customer service and management. Admittedly, I'm not so good at knowing what makes the customer want to buy my hosting service. You know, the pretty stuff, the facade that makes you look all neato and exciting.

Which brings me to my first question...

What do you think of my site? I believe it's functional. But does it contain the "X" factor that would make someone surfing want to buy 250Host's services? Do you see a flaw in my design or order process? Is there something that makes you want to run from my site screaming.

http://www.250Host.com

Thanks for your opinions.

Brian

Well it's not a great site and it's not a bad site, I don't think you have to worry about people running away screaming from your site.

Some things I would work on:

The logo is a little dark and could use some new life to it, it needs to stand out more, it's needs to make people remember it.

I don't really like that whole "glow" effect behind your top nav links, I would just use straight CSS to eliminate the delay with using image mouseovers.

You have an aweful lot of white space towards the bottom of the page. To offset that, place some content on your site telling the user why they should choose you and not some other host, what makes you better, why they should stay and look around you site more.
    www.pajcorp.com -- coming soon to an internet near you...

Oklahoma Sooners all the way baby!!

not a bad looking site.. the colors on the hosting page might be a little much... but its a good start.

nav bar is rather cumbersome....uh...large
    TextAdMarket - http://www.TextAdMarket.com
    Supply & Demand Advertising

Originally posted by Goldfiles
    nav bar is rather cumbersome....uh...large
    Are you kidding? The goldfiles navbar is about 10x that size!

I think the design is appropriate, since the service is free, it shouldn't look too professional (and need not look too professional).

Originally posted by IT Hosting

...since the service is free, it shouldn't look too professional (and need not look too professional).
    LOL! This is my, uh....paid service. http://www.250Free.com is the free hosting service. Ya, well, I think I 250Host needs a redesign.

I posted a logo design for critique in another thread and it turned into a new design project.

The attached file is a few days old and I've done a little work on it since then, but it will give you a general idea. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pagesample.gif  

ok wheat i dont like is that i have to maximise my screen on 1024*768 for it to fit on the screen without a horizontal scroll, it's also rather slow for those of us on dialup.

Not a bad looking site tho