Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Advertising on WHT

I thought Only repected and trusted hosts can run advertising campaigns on WHT?

I mean a host who is 2 months old, no matter how many customers they have that post good comments, cannot be judged as respected and trusted..

I would like to know everyones comments on this?
    Last edited by edude; 07-22-2002 at 02:17 AM.

I wasn't aware of any background check that was conducted on hosts that want to advertise. You pay the money, you get advertising. Besides, how are you to judge a host like you suggest. Its way too subjective. Maybe their WHOIS shows the domain is registered for a month, the host claims they switched names, then whose word goes? What if the host really switched names? Its a sticky issue...

Speaking of, which host that is 'not reputable' did you see an ad for?

I didn't say the host is not reputable, i just said that a host who has been in business for 2 months cannot be judged as "not reputable" or "reputable".. I won't name any names...

That's what I meant...

When Matt first started the advertising; he said that he would investigate and need to approve the host before he would allow the ad. Headsurfer may have different ideas now.

I'm pretty sure I know what edude is getting at. And, I am one that agrees with him. And, it's not just the advertising. But, seriously, how can you recommend infant hosts the way some do around here.

I remember reading recommendations for EarHost as well.

I have nothing against young hosting companies. I just think you need to earn being recommended.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    When Matt first started the advertising; he said that he would investigate and need to approve the host before he would allow the ad. Headsurfer may have different ideas now.
    Personal income first
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Advertising is NOT a recommendation. It is just advertising.

When you read your local paper, do you expect them to check out every ad they allow in the paper? Rediculous.

So why do you expect that to happen here? Advertising pays the bills.
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

mrzippy, wht is different to your local paper..

Wht is more of a community, and visitors here feel that this community is meant to aide them in finding a reputable host..

Originally posted by edude
    mrzippy, wht is different to your local paper..

Wht is more of a community, and visitors here feel that this community is meant to aide them in finding a reputable host..
    I agree with you.. sortof. WHT is a business. period. But the business is to provide a community, etc...

At the end of the day, whoever owns WHT wants to make money. And it's easiest to do that with advertising.

personally, I think they should have a standard ad disclaimer over and below every ad.

ie:

Web Hosting Talk does not perform any background checks for any advertisements. If you plan to purchase a service or product as a result of advertising on WHT, please don't sue us.

....... you know what I mean.. just something to show that the ads are NOT referrals, and there's no check. Anyone can advertise if they pay the bucks.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

The only way I see that it could work is if there were independent area where customers could rate a host and the host has to mainitain at least a netural or positive rating to be able to advertise here. Any other way and you are getting way to subjective.

But then again I am not sure it is the responsablity of WHT to be a nanny for people. No one holds anyones hand when they shop for clothes or cars etc, all WHT can do is be a sounding board then people have to make their own decsions.

Originally posted by Monte
    The only way I see that it could work is if there were independent area where customers could rate a host and the host has to mainitain at least a netural or positive rating to be able to advertise here.
    haha. Would the owner of WHT still be able to advertise?

Personally I think anyone should be able to advertise here. Maybe with the exception of CI........ bah not worth mentioning

Seriously though, it is advertising. Just because a company can afford an ad on a site doesn't mean they are trustworthy, or reccomended by that site. It is up to the individual to do the research and come to that conclusion on their own.

I am not sure how the previous owner of WHT handled things, but its obvious that Rackshack handles it a little differently. Personally if I was rackshack, I would have my ad in the rotation too

This of course, is just my opinion
    Chris Miller
    PromoPunch
    Custom Imprinted Promotional Products
    www.promopunch.com 1-800-750-8530 x221

I agree with edude here. I cannot say that a 1 month old host must nessecarily be bad ... but reputated ... dunno really.

In this country: innocent until proven guilty.

Let anyone advertise until they earn our distrust, not the other way around.

Matt allowed Smart hosting tools to advertise, even though they were bashed a few times. But that only lasted like a month hahahahahah.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Well, not all new hosts mean trouble, you know... Some older and reputated names, such as Cyberwings, was getting a very good name back in December, and look at the state that they're in now. Whereas new hosts, such as mine (well, they were young when I first signed up), are going strong as ever.

Just my 2-cents

I don't know how a bbs such as WHT would resolve the new host issue. On one hand, you want to encourage new hosts and build them up to big reliable hosts by clients harvested here.

That said, I've now found two consecutive stinkers, even though the second time around I asked all the right questions. It does make me wonder about the reliability of finding a host or reseller here.

I agree with edude on some of his statements however this community is made up of alot of hosts to begin with which would cause subjective reviews and self promotion. Not to mention that the owner of this forum is a host as well. Even if it would go by reveiws as mentioned above I still think there are ways around this and we would end up with tons of 1 or 2 post users claiming this host or that host is the greatest thing since sliced bread, which may or not be the truth.

We are a fairly new host to the public however we have been around for alot longer than that, and yes we did have a name change as well and have documents etc to prove that, does that make us a bad host or one that is not reputable? I am not saying you are attacking us I am just using it as an example because alot of this applies to our situation. Although we dont do banner ads here at WHT , we have posted ads in the advertising section of the forum.

It is hard to judge a book by it's cover the only way you know what is inside is by actually opening it up. (or turning it over in some cases but you get my point)

This is just my opinion of course and like I said I dont think you are attacking us or maybe you are but either way it is up to Robert to decide how subjective he wishes to be on gaining income from advertising.
    Regards,
    Brian P.
    Digital X Web[TM], LLC
    http://digitalxweb.net

Ummm.. I think whoever has the money should be able to advertise. I mean say I am some jerk selling unlimited space and transfer hosting plans I could call up PC Magazine very easy if I had the $$$ and post an advertisment if I want without even a question from them.. It's all about the $$$... I dont see why everyone gets the panties in a bind over nothing, also I never got the point of advertising on a WEB HOSTS forum for selling WEB HOSTING I mean seems like it kinda defeats the purpose, I am yet to see more than a couple of sales from from here in the past 7 months I have been here..

Those ads for WHT in hosting tech cost money you know
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Just out of curiosity.. what are the rates for advertising here, anyway?

I would say, $8-$10 cpm for these kind of sites...

Are you guys talking about the banner ads, or the "Important: " ads in the advertising forums?
    Jay » jay@frontdrive.com • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

I was asking about the ads in the forums. Anyone know the actual prices..?

$50 for a week is what I paid. Pretty darned cheap, very good results.
    Jay » jay@frontdrive.com • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast