Thread: CMS's

CMS's

Ive tried a few of these things and I think they are all hard to instal. People claim to be able to instal PHPnuke in like 5 minutes and I cant even DL and unzip it in that time .
    "The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wonderous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for existence of God; but whether this argument is of real value I have never been able to decide... The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect." - Charles Darwin

do you have shell access on your account? That makes life a lot easier. CMS's are complex pieces of machinery for the most part, so nailing them down via ftp uploads can be a bit tricky.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

nope =(. Unless you have a good host in mind FTP will have to do.
    "The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wonderous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for existence of God; but whether this argument is of real value I have never been able to decide... The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect." - Charles Darwin

Actually I've just dug out my install file for EZPublish to give you an example of installing vis SSH. It's written with CPanel and EZPublsh 2.2.4 in mind, with image::magick installed in the right place for it, so your milage may vary considerably.

(Note, yes I do jump around a bit with the CD command but it's a habit of mine to work in the folder itself)

***AS USER - NOT ROOT***

wget http://developer.ez.no/filemanager/d...h_2_2_4.tar.gz

tar zxvf ezpublish_2_2_4.tar.gz

mv ezpublish_2_2_4 public_html/publish

cd public_html/publish

pico site.ini (add database and site URL)

./modfix.sh

***SET UP DATABASE VIA CPANEL***

cd sql

/usr/bin/mysql database_name -u user_name -ppassword < publish_mysql.sql

cd ../

tar zpxvf data.tar.gz

./modfix.sh

cd sql

/usr/bin/mysql database_name -u user_name -ppassword < data_mysql.sql

cd ../

./clearcache.sh

***CRON JOB*** (via CPANEL)

0 23 * * * cd /home/username/public_html/publish; /usr/bin/php cron.php

http://www.yourdomain.com/publish/index_admin.php

user: admin
    pass: publish

without shell, you could look and see if one has an install file I suppose. I think Mambo has one. It's a nice looking script and was pretty simple to install from memory.

I don't have any experience with Nuke or Post Nuke so I'm not much help there sorry.

Greg Moore

O god that will be another all nighter knowing me

I have found the PostNuke and related stuff like Gallery to be pretty easy to install. The install routines have become pretty simple for most people to use. It is certainly easier if you can upload the tar and log in via ssh, but ftp works, just a bit slower.

The language files can be big sometimes, as can the different themes. If using a slower connection or FTP, you might consider not uploading too many different languages or themes.

I should ask someone to do it for me

We wrote our own CMS - in the long run it was much easier than installing a third party one and we can add whatever features we want - when we want.

It wasn't too hard, took a few hours to come up with something decent in PHP and then I added things like the admin area, etc. over the next few days (the admin area isn't all that pretty but only two people see it so it doesn't matter).

Mambo is easy to install, I installed that on our development machine to have a play around with - but many sites that use Mambo can be identified in an instant (similar to the Frontpage syndrome as I've called it).

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

postnuke is pretty easy to install, all you need is the paths, database info, and that's pretty much it.

unzip it on your computer, ftp up, and run the browser based install.

not 5 minutes but not hours either. just read the instal doc and follow it step by step.

i'm not a programmer either...and i had no problems.