Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Taken by Earhost?

Earhost Scam:

First offer 4/24/2002:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=46596

"If you are skeptical and think this is a scam just ask and I will provide my mailing address."

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ht=James+Hynes

He's telling a reporter "I am glad someone wants to inform the public of this issue. Good luck with your story." He states talking to a reporter who wants to report on OFFERS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.
    5/24/02 - A great offer
    6/19 is their GRAND OPENING Special Offers Wow $600 worth of free software is included! NEVER EXISTED.

6/24 I POSTED THIS:

Thread closed - James responded to contact him concerning upgrade or cancellation - Great guy, Great guy, Great guy.

I requested a refund.
    Runaround, Runaround -
    thread was started in which my post was referenced. James responded with a response that made it look like I was being pushy about a propagation problem. I RECIEVED A REFUND ON THAT DAY! Nice guy, honest - admits mistakes!

It went like this:
    1. Go on webhostingtalk and build up a reputation as a "nice guy" (some will be there to back you when you start screwing up)
    2. Offer packages before you even have a server for "startup money"
    3. Purchase the server and start the business.
    4. When things start to fall apart, blame others (techs, etc.)
    5. Act like you are doing your customers a favor by transferring them to a reputatable host. Hey Marc, if others decide to follow this scam formula, will you bail them out too? And when I switched - I switched to McHost and I am happy with the service.

I am really sorry for all the people who were taken in by this, especially the people who had nonprofit sites. I too have a special site concerning my daughter's syndrome.

It honestly really irritates me that he is still responding to this site concerning what he did as if he is still an "honorable person"... like he can justify what he has put his customers through! And I'm sure there are still a lot of people who have not received refunds, or even responses...

So James, if you're going to respond to this, respond with:
    1) All my customers who requested a refund have received them including the "lifetime customers"! That's the only way you could redeem yourself as a "honorable person" who just screwed up.

Diane
      0 Not allowed!

I posted in the wrong thread accidentally...
    Diane... you have communicated beautifully... James belongs in jail...
    Mothers of the world unite! Spank your sons and make them quit fighting...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by the-muse
    I posted in the wrong thread accidentally...
    Diane... you have communicated beautifully... James belongs in jail...
    jail might be a little extreme dont ya think?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by whw

jail might be a little extreme dont ya think?
    jail...well...you can't say if it's extreme or not...I guess you're not a judge that investigates the whole thing and I'm sure that you don't know all the facts. I don't know them either. So...it will be correct to say that the guy is innocent till the opposite gets prooved through all the legal actions.

And because I think that things can get resolved without getting in the trouble to call those vampires, called lawyers, I believe that the guy can be considered innocent but with a really bad reputation. That's correct enough, I think.

And by the way, just to not get confused, I have nothing to do with Earhost or their clients.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by MikeMc

jail...well...you can't say if it's extreme or not...I guess you're not a judge that investigates the whole thing and I'm sure that you don't know all the facts. I don't know them either. So...it will be correct to say that the guy is innocent till the opposite gets prooved through all the legal actions.

And because I think that things can get resolved without getting in the trouble to call those vampires, called lawyers, I believe that the guy can be considered innocent but with a really bad reputation. That's fair, I think.

And by the way, just to not get confused, I have nothing to do with Earhost or their clients.
    yeah ok i would agree with that....
      0 Not allowed!

I will most likely get flamed for this post but here goes. I am not condoning what Earhost has done to their customers, but what did people really expect?

Has your electric company ever offered you a "lifetime" of service for one fee? What about water? Sewer? Phone? Cell phone? How about gas? No.

Web hosting is a service like all of those mentioned above. It takes money to keep the service going, and there is no way anyone can offer a lifetime of hosting and expect to be in business for more than a couple of years.

I am really sorry that so many people were taken by this "scam" (if you want to call it that) but you have to remember one thing. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
    Chris Miller
    PromoPunch
    Custom Imprinted Promotional Products
    www.promopunch.com 1-800-750-8530 x221
      0 Not allowed!

Earhost Scam:

First offer 4/24/2002:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showt...&threadid=46596

"If you are skeptical and think this is a scam just ask and I will provide my mailing address."

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showt...ght=James+Hynes

He's telling a reporter "I am glad someone wants to inform the public of this issue. Good luck with your story." He states talking to a reporter who wants to report on OFFERS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.
    5/24/02 - A great offer
    6/19 is their GRAND OPENING Special Offers Wow $600 worth of free software is included! NEVER EXISTED.

6/24 I POSTED THIS:

Thread closed - James responded to contact him concerning upgrade or cancellation - Great guy, Great guy, Great guy.

I requested a refund.
    Runaround, Runaround -
    thread was started in which my post was referenced. James responded with a response that made it look like I was being pushy about a propagation problem. I RECIEVED A REFUND ON THAT DAY! Nice guy, honest - admits mistakes!

It went like this:
    1. Go on webhostingtalk and build up a reputation as a "nice guy" (some will be there to back you when you start screwing up)
    2. Offer packages before you even have a server for "startup money"
    3. Purchase the server and start the business.
    4. When things start to fall apart, blame others (techs, etc.)
    5. Act like you are doing your customers a favor by transferring them to a reputatable host. Hey Marc, if others decide to follow this scam formula, will you bail them out too? And when I switched - I switched to McHost and I am happy with the service.

I am really sorry for all the people who were taken in by this, especially the people who had nonprofit sites. I too have a special site concerning my daughter's syndrome.

It honestly really irritates me that he is still responding to this site concerning what he did as if he is still an "honorable person"... like he can justify what he has put his customers through! And I'm sure there are still a lot of people who have not received refunds, or even responses...

So James, if you're going to respond to this, respond with:
    1) All my customers who requested a refund have received them including the "lifetime customers"! That's the only way you could redeem yourself as a "honorable person" who just screwed up.

Diane

haha, scam...what scam. A scam would mean I left this situation witch a pocket full of money, which is not the case. Everyone who has asked "has" been refunded.

You make it sound like I wanted it all to turn out this way, which is not the case my friend.

Also, if I didn't give a damn about these customers I would have just stopped hosting them and call it that, instead I gave the customers a good home and anyone that requested refunds got them.

I know it doesn't justify the poor service they recieved, but it is no scam madam.
      0 Not allowed!

I had a similar experience with NOSEhost

j/k Just trying to lighten up the thread
      0 Not allowed!

I think the reason for the one-time offers was to raise capital for the start-up and initial months. Eventually there were too many support requests and/or the staff was not able to handle them in the appropiate time expected.

We did not make any money by taking over these clients from EARHost and giving them 2 months at no charge. After those 2 months, they are free to choose whatever they wish, stay with us or move to another host. But at least in these 2 months they have time to take the decisions and won't be shut down within hours or days.
    Marc Wyss - marc@mchost.com
    MCHost Inc - Experts in Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://www.mchost.com
      0 Not allowed!

haha, scam...what scam - quote from James
    What struck me about your post... You're still laughing - your customers aren't!
    That's what prompted me to respond again to all of this -
    you acting like you're the VICTIM!

Marc, it's really not about you and I probably shouldn't have added that except it was part of the formula for him to still play his "honest" routine. There's no reason for you to defend yourself.

Here are my reasons for signing up with Earhost:
    1) He was recommended by the members of WebHosting Talk - great guy, honest guy.
    2) I wanted cheap service. I'm not doing much reselling - it was mainly to host a non-profit site that I've had for a long time. I work for a school district and have a lot of time off - which means not much money but I have a mentally retarded daughter that I'm able to spend a lot of time with along with my other kids. She is not a burden at all, in fact to the contrary my finances are limited because I want to be totally involved in her life.
    3) He was just starting out, so getting in with a new company I thought he would provide good service and treat his customers extremely well.
    I think it's extremely rude that we (former customers of Earhost) should have to defend ourselves!
    Main Point: James Hynes is not the victim here!

I'm angry because of what the owner of bereavedparents.com went through - especially them since I can empathize by having a non-profit site for my daughter.

Taken a step further - I want the people who went through this experience with Earhost to know that they shouldn't be put in the position to defend themselves either!

Madam? Your SUDDEN respect is hopefully not intended so as to sell me services later. I've heard your reputation precludes that...
      0 Not allowed!

In reading about a lot of fraudulent hosts lately I would have to add that EarHost could have done a lot worse to people.
    I somehow have the feeling that his intentions were good. Once he "hit the wall" he assessed the situation and put his customers before himself, and remedied it as best he could. (what would you do?)

I have seen many other hosts "Hit the wall" and still refuse to believe it is over. Geez at least you didn't lose your data.
    If you got your money back and or a new host, and maybe an unwanted education to boot, be happy and move on.

I really hold the customers partially responable. If he didn't offer the plans he did, would you have signed up with him? Heck, the whole offers section is one big farce. Many people saying what they want (instead of doing the reasearch that most of us took the time to do) and one host after another cuts their prices to rediculous levels like lawyers chasing ambulances.
    If you hosted resellers, what would you offer to people just to get a decent customer base so you can at least pay for the server?

I have never gone with the cheapest host, nor the most expensive. I look first at uptime, then features, then price.

How many people have needed a TV for home use, for instance, and saw a 19 inch one going for anywhere from $200 to $600 and bought the $200 one knowing it will probably break sooner but if you bank the $400 you can replace it two times?
    Now if you operated a sports bar where the TV was important, you would go with the $600 one figuring you can't afford not to because: 1) If the TV is good, so is your reputation, and 2) You don't want to spend your time replacing the cheap one, since it has to be professionaly installed, and some 'down time' may occur.

I wish people would quit crying about their reputation when they put such a cheap price on it in the first place.

I have been screwed before, (not by this guy) and maybe I will again, but I learn and move on.
    I wish you all well.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."
      0 Not allowed!

To be honest I am getting really bored of thios now, this is the 3rd thread about EARHost, and yes I am a customer of theirs so i know all about what happened.
    As previously mentioned its partially the customers fault, cheap often means nasty, why not just pay more and get better quality, Simple rules, don't buy unlimited and dont buy lifetime.
      0 Not allowed!

)I must agree this is getting old!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    However I do not feel it was a "scam" ....
    And as far as his "honesty" did he totally shutdown site?, abandon his WHT name and re-register?, did he book out w a bunch of extra cah in his pocket???
    No he did not!!!!!!
    I do believe James had every good intention in the world to provide what he offered. Then circumstnces arrose and threw him for a ride of his company's life!!!!!(thus far )
    Where he went wrong? Who knows!!!!!
    However How would you like it if you where in his shoes and ppl just won't let the Sh*t go and move on. No they have to keep comin back making new after new post(s) all about the same thing??
    Not good I bet!!!!!
    All in all what did this post prove?
    Did it help resolve your issue's??

Not to be a complete azz or anything but I just hate when ppl try to make something or fasle accusations out of a mistake!!!!

I feel you guys fooled yourselfs into believing it was true!!!
    I to was thinkin about goin w james, saw that special offer and tossed his comapny right off my short list...

Sorry you and everyone had issues with him ....
    but I must agree w the old saying "You get what you pay for"
    and "If it's too good to be true.. it probably is"
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Kiwi
    Eventually there were too many support requests and/or the staff was not able to handle them in the appropiate time expected.
    what kind of work load could 15 clients produce? [I know the answer - I am asking a retorical question] They must have been demanding clients. To look after those 15 clients would take next to nothing at all. 1 person could do that in their sleep. So the whole - "we were inundated with support requests", doesn't fly.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

what kind of work load could 15 clients produce? [I know the answer - I am asking a retorical question] They must have been demanding clients. To look after those 15 clients would take next to nothing at all. 1 person could do that in their sleep. So the whole - "we were inundated with support requests", doesn't fly.
    Your under the assumption he has the technical exp. to do that...

Not everyone is at the "master tech" level of the infamous Aussie Bob
      0 Not allowed!

aussie bob did he not have more than 15? Marc took 15 clients, all standard resellers, he didnt take those on standard hosting accounts as he only provides reseller hosting and he didnt take those on a special offer

Or did james say he had 15 clients in total??
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by EzSnake
    Not everyone is at the "master tech" level of the infamous Aussie Bob
    I am definently no "master tech", but I'm getting there. My main areas of skill are business/cashflow/customer management etc. There's more to running a hosting business than the servers. This is a people business afterall.

It's all part of the process and wonderous journey called life, which I'm LOVING AND LIVING to the max right now.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by tazd9t9
    aussie bob did he not have more than 15? Marc took 15 clients, all standard resellers, he didnt take those on standard hosting accounts as he only provides reseller hosting and he didnt take those on a special offer

Or did james say he had 15 clients in total??
    15 was a figure that was tossed around in one of the many earhost threads. There were the "lifetime customers" *cough* too, but I don't imagine too many fell for that one.

But it's safe to say that we weren't talking about a client base in the hundreds here.
      0 Not allowed!

Whatever number clients EARHost had it really doesnt matter, James had almost no technical backround or knowledge. Just because you buy a $99 server and slap on a pretty control panel like CPanel does not mean you're a webhost.

Webhosting is not a "Get Rich Quick" business like many people make it out to be. Any host that is making "big money" now is doing it through hard work and a solid reputation, something James could never achieve.

This is not a personal slam against James, but please people, just because you have a domain name, server, and support desk doesnt automatically make you a Web Host... or at least it didnt used to.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by TheMMIz
    ...James had almost no technical backround or knowledge.
    Not that I disagree with you, but how do you know that? (just curious)
    Jay » jay@frontdrive.com • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/
      0 Not allowed!

James has made a mistake and unfortunately is now suffering the consequences. We ALL have to be carefull. Our futures are not guaranteed. Remember: Pride goes before a fall!
    Ask: WebHost, How old are You?
    What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      0 Not allowed!

Whatever number clients EARHost had it really doesnt matter, James had almost no technical backround or knowledge. Just because you buy a $99 server and slap on a pretty control panel like CPanel does not mean you're a webhost.

As Jay said hoe do you know that. Just to let you know right now I am attending trade school for IT. Please don't make "guesses" about my background. What if I were to say "TheMMIz is flunky who never made it pass grade 9". I just can't back it up.

Webhosting is not a "Get Rich Quick" business like many people make it out to be. Any host that is making "big money" now is doing it through hard work and a solid reputation, something James could never achieve.

What is that supposed to mean buddy. Please don't make false accuasations about be. Your just going to make yourself look like an a$$.

This is not a personal slam against James, but please people, just because you have a domain name, server, and support desk doesnt automatically make you a Web Host... or at least it didnt used to

Really, could have fooled me
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by EzSnake
    ...Not good I bet!!!!!
    All in all what did this post prove?
    Did it help resolve your issue's??...
    Nope, not at all...but I can handle it. Acually to tell you the truth I believe she had a problem when she was with us, but we refunded her.
      0 Not allowed!

As Jay said hoe do you know that. Just to let you know right now I am attending trade school for IT. Please don't make "guesses" about my background. What if I were to say "TheMMIz is flunky who never made it pass grade 9". I just can't back it up.
    James, I can only speak on issues which I have been part of. Both while setting up the account and during the initial few days of EARHost's limited existence I noticed that both my technical questions along with others that were posted on your forums were not answered, while easier ones often were. Most of these were CPanel related questions... where is X located and such.

James, do you forget that you came to these forums less than six months ago, and literally posted questions step by step how to do this and that? I have absolutely NOTHING against that, as it is the best way to learn, but from someone to come to WHT with almost no knowledge of dedicated servers, and in less than 5 months start a webhosting company, thats a bit odd.

More power to you for attending a school for IT, but after reviewing many schools curriculums both in this area and otherwise, and I have a problem with making a connection from attending IT school to becoming a successful webhost.

What is that supposed to mean buddy. Please don't make false accusations about be. Your just going to make yourself look like an a$$.
    James, I am not accusing you of anything, go back and do a SEARCH with your user name, its all here archived

I have nothing to gain by making your business look bad. My post count means nothing, and I am not looking for acceptance by the WHT community (though I continue to yearn for the love of Chicken), but you got in over your head here, and you are dealing with customers James, paying customers. I came to WHT looking for a service which you said you could deliver and now cant.

No one here is trying to make you look like a bad person. You made a mistake, and there really is no easy solution. With time this will pass, and you'll be a stronger and more experienced person for it, I just wish you had gained that experience before I became your customer.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm just glad I didn't go with Earhost. Their prices seemed a little low and they were very new. That me made a bit suspicious.

James had almost no technical backround or knowledge.
    From the other threads I read including the offer to split the profits 50-50 with anybody who would take care of all the technical aspect of the business, I came to that conclusion as well. I thought that offer was disturbing and really showed how out of touch Earhost was. 95% of the webhosting business is server maintenance and support. If you can't do that all the marketing in the world is not going to help.

BTW, just because he didn't abandon his user name and his clients doesn't mean he's a saint. If he didn't do that, he could have been in more trouble. I'm sure many would have complained to their Credit Card companies, attorneys etc.

Hopefully this is a learning experience for everybody.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast