hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Does This Sound Odd to You?
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Does This Sound Odd to You?

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 02:21 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Exclamation

Does This Sound Odd to You?

This is the gist of a conversation between the 'boss'(?) of a hosting company and me. I was about to sign up for a $30 reseller account.

him:
Quote:
If the application you need is required to run on the server level itself we won't be able to support it as we don't want other cPanel Reseller accounts make use of this same application.
me:
Quote:
I'm curious why you would not want your other shared server customers to have acess to a very useful script. Pair Networks, for one, runs SWISH-E on a number of their shared servers .. just as they would many other common scripts.

It allow a user to configure and deploy a great site search for their websites.

I'm wondering if you have even taken a look at SWISH-E

Just curious .. your response sounds odd.
him:
Quote:
This is the first it has been asked for but if we had demand for it I would bet we would offer it. So it is more about demand then anything else.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2007, 02:27 AM
Web Hosting Master

Probably saved you a job of finding out he was a one man band kiddie host by virtually admitting "I have no darned idea how to install or what on earth that module is, so I'll just ******** the client"

Old 07-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff - Exceed View Post
Probably saved you a job of finding out he was a one man band kiddie host by virtually admitting "I have no darned idea how to install or what on earth that module is, so I'll just ******** the client"
For a number of reasons, I left out the name. They are a prominent hosting company with good reviews and advertise here on WHT ..

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2007, 03:52 AM
Chilling in Pen Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff - Exceed View Post
Would you install every software that one of your customer wants on your shared hosting server?

Old 07-21-2007, 04:23 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40sixty View Post
Would you install every software that one of your customer wants on your shared hosting server?
Maybe you didn't see the apparent contradiction between his 2 statements as I did?

Or maybe you didn't want to?

Old 07-21-2007, 04:34 AM
Web Hosting Master

I'm sorry, but maybe you could spell out the apparent contradiction in the two statements.

He didn't say he couldn't or wouldn't and he didn't even dispute that you and others might like the feature. He merely said there wasn't great demand for it. How is that "apparently contradictory"?

It may be a great tool but every server application that a reseller account is permitted to run will consume additional resources. There are no free lunches.

If you feel strongly about wanting that service then go to a host that does provide it.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:35 AM
Web Hosting Master

Prehaps they see it as a potential security risk and they want to limit the number of potential holes. IF its running on the server it might run as root which in turn might open them to more hacking attempts

Old 07-21-2007, 04:51 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog View Post
I'm sorry, but maybe you could spell out the apparent contradiction in the two statements.

He didn't say he couldn't or wouldn't and he didn't even dispute that you and others might like the feature. He merely said there wasn't great demand for it. How is that "apparently contradictory"?
"we don't want other cPanel Reseller accounts make use of this same application"

"if we had demand for it I would bet we would offer it."

You don't see any contradiction there?
Quote:
It may be a great tool but every server application that a reseller account is permitted to run will consume additional resources. There are no free lunches.
Um .. climb down off you soapbox .. I don't need a sermon today.

Quote:
If you feel strongly about wanting that service then go to a host that does provide it.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:58 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b2 View Post
Prehaps they see it as a potential security risk and they want to limit the number of potential holes. IF its running on the server it might run as root which in turn might open them to more hacking attempts
Yes, it does run as root .. which is actually one of the advantages. Anyone on the server can do their own config and set up site search.

I think most people don't know about it, although it has been around a long time. Very stable, written in C, has to be compiled. At least 2 of the older shared hosts I used in the past had it on the server.

Further, a PERL script has to be configured to show search results.

I have a 1,200 page site and the file that holds all the data is only 1.6 m .. and this thing is FAST! .. runs rings around a PHP/mySQL search tool.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:06 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_expat View Post
"we don't want other cPanel Reseller accounts make use of this same application"

"if we had demand for it I would bet we would offer it."

You don't see any contradiction there?
No, I don't. Where is the contradiction? Again, one way of looking at this is from his standpoint as a thing that would affect his bottom line. If he offers another root level service then that means more server resources as every cPanel account can now use a search feature. This means, ultimately, less clients on one server - hence, he'd have to charge more per client or increase the cost of each reseller account.

Thus, the answer that "...there's not much demand..." makes perfect sense to me. In other words, people aren't beating down his door for it and so he can currently "get away" with a limited feature set.

Quote:
Um .. climb down off you soapbox .. I don't need a sermon today.

If you don't want opinions then don't post in open forum. I asked you a simple question. Are you merely pontificating here or do you want feedback?

Old 07-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Chilling in Pen Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_expat View Post
Maybe you didn't see the apparent contradiction between his 2 statements as I did?

Or maybe you didn't want to?
If you want to install specific software, get a VPS, simple as that.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Web Hosting Master

Yes, if he is not offering it, why are you forcing him?

Old 07-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog View Post
If you don't want opinions then don't post in open forum. I asked you a simple question. Are you merely pontificating here or do you want feedback?
You changed the topic .. go start your own about the financial aspects of running a hosting business if that's what you want to talk about .. and don't even presume to tell me where to post.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:50 AM
& Goliath

It executes are root?
Am I reading that correctly?

Old 07-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zafar Ahmed View Post
Yes, if he is not offering it, why are you forcing him?
If you found what seemed a good hosting package and it only lacked 1 feature, wouldn't you ask for that?

FWIW, I need it for the site search on 6 of my sites.

But don't get me wrong. I never said he should add that to his server. I simply saw a contradiction in his reasoning.

"dont want others to use it" vs "if a lot of people asked for it"

It is a subtle thing. Read what I said in my original post.

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted