small personal reselling biz

Hello!
    I would like to start a personal reselling business. This means I would probably just take on 10-20 clients. I would like to keep a one-on-one personal relationship with my clients. Which probably also means most of my clients will be my relatives and friends.

I hope someone could help me start this.

How much money should I invest on this? Or are there resellers who perform the backend operations like billing?

Oh yeah, I also need domain registration with this.

Thanks.
    + Basta Ikaw Lord

I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you are looking to become a hosting reseller, then that includes providing your own first-line tech support and billing to your own customers. You would be responsible for creating and managing all your own customer accounts.

If you're just looking for a good host for your friends.. then there are lots of great companies in the forums here. Many would even give you a cash referral for recommending your family and friends to them.

Cheers!
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Yes. I would like to become a host reseller. Something like a hobby for family and friends.

Can you suggest someone who can help me with all the needs? Thanks.
    + Basta Ikaw Lord

there are reseller plans out there where you can use all their FAQ's / support and even resell their packages at discounted rate...
    This may prove to be better for you as a "hobby"...
    I dont remeber any sites off top my head sorry

If your sites are going to small, you may want to get one of those reseller account where you can just split the resources into smaller accounts, instead of having to pay for each seperately.

As for domain name registration, look around for reseller program. I personally use enom and *********** (I know they got banned), and I liked the control of enom's account structure and also the control panel. You may want to explore that.

Your reseller host may also have domain name registration resell program, so explore that as well.

Peter

Thank you!

I have talked to enom. They gave me a test account already using my own username. Their sales rep told me she can just transfer my details to the real account anytime I want to.

And if you remember some good resellers who can help me start this hobby of mine, please post them here.

Thanks again.
    + Basta Ikaw Lord

Hi Fritz, I have extensive experience with supporting resellers and if you are interested can help you with this over time.

It looks like you are looking for someone to take you under their wing and god willing, I would find the time.

It would require some kind of monthly commitment but I would get you started and support you along the way.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Re: small personal reselling biz

Originally posted by fritz
    How much money should I invest on this?
    For you, you need your basic site, a reseller account [$20/mth] and credit card processing from someone like http://Revecom

You are right in thinking to start small and work from your friends and family. Word of mouth will then grow your business from that point.
    Oh yeah, I also need domain registration with this.
    You could use something like http://onlinenic.com for adding domain sales to your site.

Good luck.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Hi Fritz, the domain cost is the small part, the name itself must be considered.

Business branding, identity can change if not chosen carefully, so take your time on this. Serious consideration can take upwards to two months to come up with "Something" unless you're lucky and find an easy to remember domain.

Again, think about yourself, what you're going tooffer, how you're going to support (The mood), and try to find a domain name that fits.

As my distinguished friend above has noted in his signature, his domain of his company matches the atmosphere of what he is trying to relate, it fits in other words and is a great deal of "How" he motivates, as this is what everyone needs, "A reason to..."

So consider the name, the identity, and identify your business starting with some of these ideas.
    dotGig

Originally posted by Samuel
    Hi Fritz, I have extensive experience with supporting resellers and if you are interested can help you with this over time.

It looks like you are looking for someone to take you under their wing and god willing, I would find the time.

It would require some kind of monthly commitment but I would get you started and support you along the way.
    Samuel, you are not allowed to advertise yourself in this forum.

Im offering my personal help, not paid services, read my post again.
    dotGig

<nevermind>
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Sorry, that wasn't clear.

Clear? the message wasnt to you, so there will be an amount of lack of clarity for you, but thanks for admonishment anyway, it was wasted.
    dotGig

Samuel,
    Thank you so much for offering to help.
    I really do need someone to explain things to me.
    Perhaps we can converse privately through email.
    I will PM you my email address.

Thanks again!
    + Basta Ikaw Lord

Aussie bob,

Thank you too for giving me an idea. On how this business works!

Thanks.
    + Basta Ikaw Lord

Clear? the message wasnt to you, so there will be an amount of lack of clarity for you, but thanks for admonishment anyway, it was wasted.
    Samuel, in Chris's defense, you really ought to have made the "free" part more clear. I remember reading it and thinking that you are advertising yourself. But I was too busy to post anything.

Sure, the message is just for the post starter, but it would be nice to let everyone knows that your help is free so noone (including a moderator) would misunderstand your offer.

Now that we get everything cleared up, all is well.

Peter

Anyway, Samuel, it is very nice of you to offer to help that person for free.

Everything you have posted has been off topic, I have at least a hundred resellers that Ive done work for, have contracted, and helped over the last year and a half, there are a lot of mchost resellers I have been supporting over the last meaning [edit=finished this sentence], I know what they might be looking for in building their business.

ckpeter, I was, and still am very aware of what forum I was posting in, if I was offering a service it would have been stated, I have offered to help in the time that I can, my free time.

From my very first post:
    "It looks like you are looking for someone to take you under their wing and god willing, I would find the time. "

I am offering to help this user on my free time, which I don't have much of it. Next time you think you might need to admonish someone publicly PM them, e-mail them.

Chicken knows that he can talk to me, and also knows that I am responsive to what the rules on the board are so if you ever have a question about something I am doing, or something I have done please take the time to hit the PM button instead of throwing information into a thread that hurts its idea.
    dotGig

I will continue this conversation over PM.

Peter

Everything you have posted has been off topic
    Are you talking to me, here?

I might be, but as i said, take it to PM
    dotGig

I'm sorry if my inquiry caused any problems. But I honestly just want people to help me. I am quite new here and I saw how people can really help one another here.

And I think mrzippy, EzSnake, ckpeter, Samuel, and Aussie Bob has been great starting me off.

ckpeter, chrisb, I'm sorry if this cause any confusion. To make it clear, I just want "free" personal help. I am not looking for any company to start me and get a fee.

Free, in the sense, that people just post what they think started them with this business. The problems they encountered. The benefits of reselling to your friends and family first just as Aussie Bob has stated.

I apologize if my post caused any problems. But I thank those who posted and replied to me to help.

I also would like to thank WiredDog and pistolpete for offering to help.

Perhaps anyone's reply here may also help those who want to start reselling but don't know how.

Thanks again folks!
    + Basta Ikaw Lord

I might be, but as i said, take it to PM
    JFYI, you posted an offer. It was not clear that it was free. I didn't know whether you knew the rules or not, so I merely mentioned them. Then you get snappy, and say that you were not talking to me. That's fine, but it is an open forum.

I will not PM you. I think it's more appropriate to respond to you here since you chose to post your comments to me here.

You can bet I won't
    dotGig

Easy, easy guys.

This is just a small mis-understanding. I have talked to Samuel over PM. He has been actively involved in helping others, so when he made the (free) offer, he was naturally not thinking about the forum rules.

And Chris, you had every reason to suspect that Samuel was throwing out a self-advertisement. But now that Samuel has clarified himself, all is well. After all, isn't that what the reply button is for?

Like I said, this is just a mis-understanding because of the limits of our knowledge. Now that we all know each other perfectly, no need to keep this going.

Peter

:: munch munch munch ::

That's ok.. my popcorn bucket was getting empy.

Fritz no problem... This is the way it works (at least in my book)
    ppl help me and I in turn try to help others

Originally posted by mrzippy
    :: munch munch munch ::

That's ok.. my popcorn bucket was getting empy.
    Pass me the Dr Pepper please.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

Pass me the Dr Pepper please.
    Hey there Rob, come to think of it, I stocked up on it yesterday and Kimberly was nice enough to get me TWO cups of espresso lol
    dotGig

Hey there Rob, come to think of it, I stocked up on it yesterday and Kimberly was nice enough to get me TWO cups of espresso lol
    Did the Dr Pepper truck have any problems dropping off the create?? It would be cheaper if you had some kind of direct pipe to your house hooked up to a special tap that continually dispenses your choice of liquid refreshment 24*7.

The permits went in last week, the underground prune well went through, just waiting for the EPA to approve the amount of output that is going to happen from my office
    dotGig

The permits went in last week, the underground prune well went through, just waiting for the EPA to approve the amount of output that is going to happen from my office

night rob, I've transfered 1.9 gigs of data between two servers 2400 miles from each other and I am done with today.

I know... still havent registered on your forum, I did on the last one!, am I still welcome?
    dotGig

no? haahah
    dotGig