Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Idea?

Stupid Idea?

I've always wanted to have a decent box in my house running a private 12 slot CS server and one or two public 20 slot CS servers.

Problem is my internet connection. Can't host more than 10 people on my cable connection (15 Mbps Down 2 Mbps Up). :]

What kind of ISP do I need to host this kind of server?

I could just go with a GSP, but just want some hands-on experience with servers.

[edit]
    I think this belongs in Dedicated Server Forum ;;

The question about weather or not most ISP's will let you host a server on your home connection gets asked here pretty frequently.

Check with your ISP before doing anything else. Most block port 80 and if they don't they usually do not allow hosting a server on your home connection in their terms of service. I would suggest calling or emailing the customer support at your ISP.

It can be done and there are people who have done it. I wouldn't suggest it, but that's just me. You can get decent colo space for $50 a month and be connected to multiple network providers, have redundant power sources, and greater physical security than most private residences.
    I post on WHT strictly for sig views

You might be able to find a VPS that could manage a single CS server for a reasonable price. It would give you a taste of what server management is somewhat like. I don't imagine one server will use a lot of resources, other than bandwidth.

Though I'm not too sure if VPS providers allow it. I've been out of the hosting scene for a bit

Where are you located at? We might be able to point you in the direct of a decent data center in your area where you could collocate your servers. You could still manage them yourself to gain first hand knowledge and you would have better network connectivity than you could get at your residence.

I already have a VPS from Liquid Web, but I don't think they'll allow me to run a game server on a VPS. haha

True, ISPs do block port 80. My ISP does offer "Business Services" which may allow port 80 and stuff. But port 80 isn't used by CS anyways. =)

Colocation is always available, but bandwidth doesn't come cheap around here. (VA)

I live in Northern Virginia. Closest reliable datacenter would be Equinix in Ashburn. I'd have to order colocation through someone like Carpathia Host or something. Any other good Northern Virginia DCs?

What to look at is your upload rate for hosting game servers which is what will provide smooth play. Also take into account you will be using some of the bandwidth if your playing on the same connection.

Quote Originally Posted by majorglory View Post
    I already have a VPS from Liquid Web, but I don't think they'll allow me to run a game server on a VPS. haha

True, ISPs do block port 80. My ISP does offer "Business Services" which may allow port 80 and stuff. But port 80 isn't used by CS anyways. =)

Colocation is always available, but bandwidth doesn't come cheap around here. (VA)

I live in Northern Virginia. Closest reliable datacenter would be Equinix in Ashburn. I'd have to order colocation through someone like Carpathia Host or something. Any other good Northern Virginia DCs?
    Carpathia has one of the better networks I have ever personally used. A lot of streaming media/game servers/bandwidth intensive websites host there. ATCIHosting has a few racks through Carpathia, so you may want to check them out. Their bandwidth is actually very affordable and they have great support. They don't have collocation listed on their site, but use their live chat and they should be able to give you a quote. Their servers are very affordable if you wanted to lease, too, but I'm assuming you don't.

Ashburn is an expensive area, so I understand your hesitation about local collocation.

That's quick cable, but fiber is your best bet. Check around to see if it's available and make sure to check if you can run it on the ISP.

Everyone can run their own mini-ISP at home with current high-speed broadband offer. However, it is against TOS to run these kind of services eg. hosting website.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by MxHub View Post
    Everyone can run their own mini-ISP at home with current high-speed broadband offer. However, it is against TOS to run these kind of services eg. hosting website.
    Only some don't allow such services. My couldn't care less. Though I suspect their policy would change if every Joe what occurring the bandwidth I do.

Look around for an ISP that allows it. You may have to read through a few pages of TOS. You'd be surprised how many support reps will tell you it's against TOS when it isn't. They just don't know.

At least that was my case.

Quote Originally Posted by firevps View Post
    Only some don't allow such services. My couldn't care less. Though I suspect their policy would change if every Joe what occurring the bandwidth I do.

Look around for an ISP that allows it. You may have to read through a few pages of TOS. You'd be surprised how many support reps will tell you it's against TOS when it isn't. They just don't know.

At least that was my case.
    Is it just me who can't find an ISP that restrict people from running home server?
    I can easily get 100Mbit Optical Fiber here in Japan.
    (A lot of home users have it in Japan now a days, but I dont :p)
    Well almost all ISPs in Japan allow people to run home servers at least.
    Yudai Yamagishi

RackZen:
    I've actually met the CEO of Carpathia Host. I doubt Carpathia will give me any kind of special price, but I can always try. :]

FireVPS: I do have Verizon Fios available, but it's all about download speed for them. Their upload speeds are horrendous.

NP-YYamagishi:
    Lucky =((

Quote Originally Posted by Cardon View Post
    You might be able to find a VPS that could manage a single CS server for a reasonable price. It would give you a taste of what server management is somewhat like. I don't imagine one server will use a lot of resources, other than bandwidth.

Though I'm not too sure if VPS providers allow it. I've been out of the hosting scene for a bit
    I wouldn't advise a VPS running a game server. Your performance would suffer.

Would be better off to just get a game server they are pretty cheap 25 USD a month for 10 slots .

jags2ooo: True, but like I said, I want some hands-on experience with handling servers from hardware to software. =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com