newbie question: raised floors?

Day in, and day out I learn more and more information about the webhosting industry from looking over WHT Gurus Thank you!

The only question that really annoys me is: What are raised floors? Do they form a trench around the datacenter incase of flooding?

Thx,
    Alec

Easier to have cables running under the floor than going over head or putting large holes in walls etc.

Raise the floor, run the cables out of the rack and out under the floor

Yep, incase the aliens try and attack to steal our data, the engineers jump behind the raised floors with their mp5's and fire away!!

Originally posted by edude
    Yep, incase the aliens try and attack to steal our data, the engineers jump behind the raised floors with their mp5's and fire away!!

mp5's? we are still letting the aliens have it with mp3's. Achy Breaky Heart sends them fleeing back to whatever star system spawned them in a hurry.
    http://forums.webhostdir.com/
    All your hosts are belong to us

To give you kind of a better physical idea it's kind of like a drop ceiling upside down on the floor with more support.. And the best part is when you have to run cable and pop one of those suckers up and get a nice poof of dust in your face, sometime your sure not to want to miss.

Yep and its fun to use the little plunger tool to pull up the tiles. they are about 16" square.

In our server room, the air conditioning goes under the floor, so you get nice a blast of cold air when trying to stick your head under the floor to find a cable

Mark
    Tranquil Hosting

Raised floors are also used for better airflow / cooling...
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

sometimes i put old computers in the floor
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Raised floors are the best, they allow (as mentioned already) for improved circulation/cooling.. but more importantly, they provide the required space for dead rodents to ferment and fester properly!

Of course, the last raised floor tile I pulled up also had old IBM punchcards under it... go figure.
    Pure Energy Systems
    www.purenrg.com